• No

Votes: 20 95.2%

• Total voters
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate phone conversations too. The funny thing is, I used to work in a call center and did fine. But that's work, not chit-chat. I can do scripted phone work. I wouldn't be able to do any phone work that required establishing a rapport with the customer through conversation though. I also deal with the public all day in my work, and I do fine with that. I can do small talk---how about this weather, what about that event, etc.--- but more than a minute or 2 and I'd implode, lol.
Waiting or answering to incoming call vs calling, do you think calling being lot easier?

That is when one calls, one is kind of leader, leading what is going to happen, that is not so wrecking I think than when you have to respond and especially if there is something not to be prepared to except.

I went once to job interview to call center, after walking trough hall I was nearly a wreck already, only thinking how do I not get this job, so many people making noises and no closed spaces, it was kind of open office, there was feeling like something sucking all the energy from me, really disturbing experience for me.

Maybe I might of been able to tolerate it for a while when focusing to just job, but I doubt I would of lasted long, can't really tell what caused that reaction. Well, they did not hire me eventually, so I could sleep when that got sorted out so well.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm an introvert.  No big surprise there.  When i was a teen, I tried so hard to fit in and like drinking and going to parties.  I just didn't, never did, and still don't!  Thank God I no longer feel like I am a defective person just because I don't like loud noises and close proximity with dancing drinking strangers!  It's just not my cuppa tea.  

Here's something related.  I took the Myers Briggs Test about 20 some odd years ago right out of nursing school and tested as an ISFP (introvert, of course).  I recently took it again and guess what???  I'm STILL an ISFP!!!  Talk about no personal growth over 20 years!!!  Lol.  Seriously, even though our beliefs and attitudes might change over time our basic personalities probably do stay intact.  

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I absolutely agree - making a call is easier than receiving a call...though even making a call to a stranger is terrifying. A job at a call centre would be a personal hell for me - SO glad there aren't any round here, so it's not even a possibility :lol3:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In keeping with the current conversation, I actually get annoyed every time I hear the phone ring!  And I don't enjoy being on the phone and want to get off first chance I get.  

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was incoming. . .I don't think I could do outgoing calls. It was cell phone customer service so I guess there's only so much someone could ask about their cell phone! I didn't like the work but it wasn't terrible.

I hate making phone calls. I'll put it off as long as possible. I even stop by the vet's office to make an appointment because I don't want to call :tongue2:.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How about speaking in a phone compared to face to face?

For me phone is even worse than face to face for some reason, so I stopped using it completely.
Ugh... the phone
I hate making or receiving phone calls. My anixety gets so bad just thinking about it and it takes forever to muster up the courage to make a phone call

I once heard that the difference between an introvert and an extrovert is that an introvert is emotionally drained by being around people, and they need some alone time to recharge before being around people again, and an extrovert is emotionally charged by being around people, and needs to be around people to recharge. You can't tell this by their outward behavior, it's purely how it makes them feel.

It is true - introverts recharge by being alone while extroverts recharge by being around others.
I had a nice recharge last year from being on disability leave from work for three and a half months
When I returned to work I was ready to get back into things. Then the usual work stuff stressed me out and added to my anxiety so the energy didn't last more than a few months
By the second half of the year I was just burned out
Weekends and a day off here and there just isn't enough for me to recharge.
I am an introvert, yet I have a job that requires me to interact with the public. I do, and do it well, until I get tired or frazzled. Then I get a little mean.

I don't really need other peoples company, I'm quite happy being by myself, or with the cats or any other critters I might have for pets.
I get frazzled easily too and then I get cranky

I can be in the same room as people (not too many though) but prefer not to interact unless I have to. Most of the time at work I have my ear buds in and listenng to music so I don't have to listen to the drama happening around me. Put me in a room with any animal and I'm happy
When I worked with fish I was happy and totally stress free in such a relaxing atmopshere (running water, humming filter systems, watching fish swim in tanks, etc).

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm an ambivert!!!!

Is that good or bad. At work was a complete extrovert. I'd worked with my coworkers for so many years that I was completely comfortable. It was like being with family. In cried, I laughed, I'd 3 in nature bad mood. I'd be on a high. I was probably more myself at work than any place else.

If I'm in a group of strangers I'm very shy.

I make acquaintances easily who think I'm the funniest most friendly person but I have no friends except.here maybe. So what am I really besides a coward.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I always thought I was an introvert but it turns out I'm an ambivert. I think it depends very much on the situation though. Loud noise and crowds of people don't bother me at all if it's at a concert by a musician I really like, but shopping malls and department stores give me the fear.

I'm never happier than when I'm on my own though. I guess that's my introvert side.

dennis47

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Loud noises and crowds of people have always been a hinderance for me, right or wrong, I remember my mom telling me when I was 14 that when I was born, my grandfather took one look at me and said, point blank, "That boy will always be a loner. And it won't bother him in the least."  And it's true. When I am alone, I relax a lot more, and the solitude makes me feel at peace, even alive again. So yes sir, yes ma'am, I am an introvert, and that's all right by me.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Person but I have no friends except.here maybe. So what am I really besides a coward.
That's not very nice!!!!  Don't speak that way to yourself!!  You are a very nice likable person.  I don't know of one soul is who "brave" all the time so give yourself a break.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Person but I have no friends except.here maybe. So what am I really besides a coward.
You are just different, maybe there is more of other kind persons than your kind of persons, but that is not good or bad, it is just different, not everyone needs to be same, no matter how people around us sometimes try to make it so!

For example I have been told that I should try to relax more in one therapy session by so called professional, like if I could just relax when there are other persons in room, I'm introvert and INTJ personality type and what I have learned now is that my brain just does not work such a way that I could relax when there are other persons in same space and time with me, it is not technically possible I think.

So even those who should know little better, don't really know, or they are missing that T from their personality so much that they don't just realize what they are saying.

Ignore what others say and except and be what you are, be happily ambivert, most people I believe are somewhere around ambivert area of the scale, I'm quite near at introvert end of the scale, you can be closer to introvert end than extrovert end of ambivert range in that scale, but it really does not make good or bad thing.

Being INTJ personality with 91% Introvert I might consider bit bad though, there are perks but there are some serious challenges too, some of which hardly any will even realize existing. Only 2% of people are INTJ type I believe.