Votes: 20 95.2%

• Total voters

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a test:
http://www.quietrev.com/the-introvert-test/

I'm very much of introvert, but I just found out about it yesterday, for 40 years I have been tried to put and I have tried to be so called 'normal' which is extrovert.

For me going for example to bar would be similar to if someone would hit my head with two garbage can lids constantly with all strength, so at this point it is quite safe to say that my chances to find family life are over after 25 or so years of pointless attempts, I'm now at age and category that is unwanted, most will choose violent partner over some who has been left out so long.

I think that it is largely because I'm introvert, society is not made for us, it is made for extroverts.

Then again as I'm introvert I'm quite happy alone, but I guess that at this age one starts to wonder if some things could of been different.

However it has been quite nice to find that there is a name for what I am and there seem to be others in a world.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I came up as an ambivert, I fall in the middle.  I had always assumed that I was an introvert.  I think it was the questions about decision making.  I am not a person to take a long time making a decision.  Of course that means there have probably been more than the usual number of poor decisions in my background.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There was a similar thread posted a year about about introvertism and extrovertism: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/290880/mondays-question-of-the-day-january-12-2015

I call myself an introvert made complicated by a social anxiety disorder
Being around others can be difficult and energy draining

Unfortunately society prefers extroverts
There's a great book that tells why society needs to accept introverts and the contributions they make. http://www.quietrev.com/ Most libraries have the book if you don't want to buy a copy.

I'm also a highly sensitive person. Most introverts are highly sensitive.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I guess I'd be considered an introvert because I'm terribly shy. I'm OK, once I get to know you, but until then, I don't talk much. I don't say much. I'm very quiet, almost to the point where I'm considered a bit on the snobby side. Nothing could be further from the truth. But I am an incredibly shy person.

I don't attend the lunches here at work, I don't go to the work-related gatherings, I don't enjoy parties. I have trouble with small talk.

One of my responsibilities as a planner here is that I have to attend monthly planning commission meetings to discuss subdivision plans and the like. I've been here now almost 16 years and it's only been within the last few years that I have managed to go to those meetings and not become physically ill beforehand. I can hide it, though, and, evidently, I've hidden it quite well because a close friend who is also on the planning commission and I were talking a couple months ago and when I told him that, he was astounded. I still do not feel comfortable around any of them, but I can deal with the meetings now.

According to the test, I'm more of an ambivert.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a similar thread posted a year about about introvertism and extrovertism: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/290880/mondays-question-of-the-day-january-12-2015

I call myself an introvert made complicated by a social anxiety disorder :anon: Being around others can be difficult and energy draining :thud:
Unfortunately society prefers extroverts :sigh: There's a great book that tells why society needs to accept introverts and the contributions they make. http://www.quietrev.com/ Most libraries have the book if you don't want to buy a copy.

I have social anxiety too, also I was diagnosed to have Asperger's syndrome, which certainly is not helping. My social anxiety comes also from some trauma I got when young (attempts of my life, rape, abuse, which generally made me intrusting of anyone for most part of my life), it's just some of us have no same cards even though here in school they did teach how everyone has equal chances and such, it is a bubble, reality is lot different from my point of view.

It is quite amazing, but horrifying to find out all your life has been fake and it has been known since 1920's but no one has brought that up and with my background there certainly has been persons that should of known about such.

But I guess it is something that is taught for most in school, but as I was in very small schools they never brought that up?

I did teach groups of people, but I got so tired without real explanation that I had to retire from that, but now I know that it was just overload and I just have to accept that I need alone time lot more than society around me excepts from me.

It is quite interesting really, but many ways also someway feels like a lot has been lost, to realize all this.

I did read a bit of that other thread, certainly interesting thought was posted there that cat people might be more towards introvert than dog people, might not be completely so but maybe larger portion of quiet people likes quiet cats than loud dogs, that sounds logical at least.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yes I am a total introvert. I have always been a loner and more comfortable in small groups than larger ones. I get nervous if I'm around a lot of people, especially if it's people I don't know well.

I prefer to stay home and keep the company of my cats and a few close friends.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I call myself an introvert made complicated by a social anxiety disorder
Being around others can be difficult and energy draining

Unfortunately society prefers extroverts
There's a great book that tells why society needs to accept introverts and the contributions they make. http://www.quietrev.com/ Most libraries have the book if you don't want to buy a copy.

That sounds a lot like me. I get nervous in a crowd of people.

I tell my daughters that when I was in school I was invisible (and I liked it) it scared the crap out of me if a teacher called me to answer a question or someone called me out on something.

pompy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm a complete introvert, but I also have social anxiety.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The test says I am an ambivert but I think I'm more of an introvert.  I do enjoy social gatherings but in moderation.  Too much and it drains me.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the test says I am an ambivert, but I have always considered myself to be quite introverted.  Perhaps I am just not good on tests?

Never give up on the happy family life, just live each day in a way that makes you happy and helps you find peace.  The right people are the ones who end up in your life by happy accident and not the ones we try to draw or attract to complete a picture in our mind.  And if your life is filled with furry friends, it is of no matter.  Love is love. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe cat owners are mostly introvert? Statistically I think something like 30% of population should be introvert, not here I guess? :)

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The test says I'm Ambivert.  So I have evolved.  when I was younger I never spoke in groups, only 1 on 1.  i married an introvert who was more social than I was.  We have 3 children, the oldest is def. introvert, Kim probably Ambivert, youngest is mostly normal.

When the oldest started preschool it was a co-op.  Every parent had to help out one day a month.  I was terrified to sit and help 2 yos with the art project.  as they got older it became easier (8 yrs of preschool).  Then I became a GS leader.  So scary to stand in front of a group of girls, only 7 or 8 of them.  Then the cub scouts, I was a den leader there.  It got easier the longer I did it.  The thing that really pulled me out of my shell was my children's speech delays.  They all had IEPs and omg you have to fight for what's best for your kid.  I spoke to a lot of people and got ideas and answers. 

I still think of myself as an introvert.  I don't get drained in large social situations, I just don't enjoy them.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Test says I'm an introvert. Definitely true :nod: I also rate as highly sensitive on the test LTS3 LTS3 linked to. Not all that surprising given everything else I have going on :rolleyes:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The test said ambivert, which kind of surprised me.  I was very shy as a child, but now I don't mind public speaking.  I do like quiet, though.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I guess I'd be considered an introvert because I'm terribly shy. I'm OK, once I get to know you, but until then, I don't talk much. I don't say much. I'm very quiet, almost to the point where I'm considered a bit on the snobby side. Nothing could be further from the truth. But I am an incredibly shy person.

I don't attend the lunches here at work, I don't go to the work-related gatherings, I don't enjoy parties. I have trouble with small talk.

One of my responsibilities as a planner here is that I have to attend monthly planning commission meetings to discuss subdivision plans and the like. I've been here now almost 16 years and it's only been within the last few years that I have managed to go to those meetings and not become physically ill beforehand. I can hide it, though, and, evidently, I've hidden it quite well because a close friend who is also on the planning commission and I were talking a couple months ago and when I told him that, he was astounded. I still do not feel comfortable around any of them, but I can deal with the meetings now.

According to the test, I'm more of an ambivert.
I got ambivert too. I don't get anxious in crowds as long as they don't expect anything from me. 

We have potlucks here at work and I usually put them together and make sure everything is covered, etc. That's fine. I'm OK with parties as long as I already know most of the people there? A party at a stranger's house? No thank you. I don't do any work gatherings that occur after hours off site because I refuse to do anything work related on my own time much less burn my gas to get there. If they aren't paying me, I'm not going. I'd rather hang out with DD and my furkids. 

I was a shy kid and was constantly badgered about it by my mother. I was constantly told that I "need to come out of my shell" or that I need to be like my sister who was "the little social butterfly". According to mom, being extroverted is the only way anyone can be acceptable or happy. Telling a shy kid that they need to change to be acceptable only drives them deeper into "their shell" because now they are also convinced that there is something wrong with them and they don't try to branch out because who would accept them? SMH

I told DD a million times over the years that anyone who tells her that she needs to change something about herself in order for them to find her acceptable is no one that she needs to have around her anyway and to let them go. The ones who matter don't mind and the ones who mind don't matter. She's far more secure in herself than I am. 

Last edited: