are these rosettes?

cloudysnow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
at first we thought she was just a tabby with some Siamese point features, but as her spots/rosettes have become more pronounced I’ve wondered if they’re similar to bengal markings, and what the correct language would be to describe her colouring. She has a Siamese-type miaow. Lovely playful cat anyway :)
IMG_9998.jpeg
IMG_9939.jpeg
3ee0babd-7524-4ced-80ca-f55936cdae4d.jpeg
IMG_0009.jpeg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I thinks so. He clearly has some Bengal Ancestry...

You mention Siamese. Does he has blue eyes? Photos aren't always accurate... Pointed Bengals are called snow Bengals (they do tend to be whitish for some reason).

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cloudysnow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I thinks so. He clearly has some Bengal Ancestry...

You mention Siamese. Does he has blue eyes? Photos aren't always accurate... Pointed Bengals are called snow Bengals (they do tend to be whitish for some reason).
Yes, she has pale blue eyes. Yeah she looks pretty similar to snow bengals but with darker markings, basically.

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she has pale blue eyes. Yeah she looks pretty similar to snow bengals but with darker markings, basically.
OK, so she is a point... Tabby points, if they have strong tabby markings (perhaps double genes, homozygot, for tabby), sometimes its not immediately visible they are really points... We had forumites whom didnt knew their tabby is really a point, ie seal lynx point...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps... on the middle pic she does looks whitish, ie almost as a snow bengal...

If she has near Ancestry, or if she even IS a pet quality snow bengal, I dont dare to say.

cloudysnow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ps... on the middle pic she does looks whitish, ie almost as a snow bengal...

If she has near Ancestry, or if she even IS a pet quality snow bengal, I dont dare to say.
she was a lot paler when my parents first got her, still has quite a white belly.

her markings to me seem to be darker than most snow bengals i have seen online. she’s just so lovely either way 🥰

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wonder, were there any siblings you know of? what were their looks? and or parents?

do you know if she is often allowed outside, especielly when its cold? Points tend to darken up with age, especielly in cold weather...

cloudysnow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wonder, were there any siblings you know of? what were their looks? and or parents?

do you know if she is often allowed outside, especielly when its cold? Points tend to darken up with age, especielly in cold weather...
She was a rescue cat so no siblings that we know of alas!
and yes my parents let her outside during the daytime - it’s been pretty warm here recently but we’ve had some colder days here and there.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She was a rescue cat so no siblings that we know of alas!
and yes my parents let her outside during the daytime - it’s been pretty warm here recently but we’ve had some colder days here and there.
OK.
Anyways, I started with admitting she has surely much bengal ancestry, and possibly is a pet quality snow bengal...

After thinking and seeing more pics, I think I will reverse my opinon / guess.

I think / guess now she is a pet quality snow bengal... Probably pure, but possibly outcrossed with a seal point..

OR as last line defence, she has an near ancestry. :)

cloudysnow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK.
Anyways, I started with admitting she has surely much bengal ancestry, and possibly is a pet quality snow bengal...

After thinking and seeing more pics, I think I will reverse my opinon / guess.

I think / guess now she is a pet quality snow bengal... Probably pure, but possibly outcrossed with a seal point..

OR as last line defence, she has an near ancestry. :)
this makes sense to me (dk how she ended up a stray and being taken to a shelter though, she’s such a lovely cat and very affectionate… but these things happen). it doesn’t really matter to us what she is, just wondering what her colouring/patterns on her coat actually were and whether they were really rosettes! but good to know that she has snow bengal colouring :)

here’s one more of her really showing her coat off…

e7136c79-2009-4b43-a2d8-09139716934b.jpeg

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think she is pure bengal. She looks exactly like my cat who is a charcoal seal lynx bengal.
IMG_3988.jpeg
There are three types if snow bengals - seal lynx, seal mink, seal sepia. Seal lynx is the lightest and are the only ones with those ice blue eyes your cat has.

Your cat looks darker than some of the snow bengal photos online because she is charcoal seal lynx. A brown bengal can be a charcoal brown bengal or regular brown bengal, a silver bengal can be charcoal silver or regular silver, and so on for every bengal coat. That is to say, charcoal is like an additional “option.” Charcoal bengals will have darker rosettes than their non charcoal counterparts and have a dark line running down the center of their back.

Seal lynx bengals have siamese ancestry in them, which explains the similarities you noted.

My charcoal seal lynx bengal was also almost white when we got him. You could barely see his rosettes. Then he got darker and darker and I believe at 1.5 yes old his pattern is fully developed.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
this makes sense to me (dk how she ended up a stray and being taken to a shelter though, she’s such a lovely cat and very affectionate… but these things happen). it doesn’t really matter to us what she is, just wondering what her colouring/patterns on her coat actually were and whether they were really rosettes! but good to know that she has snow bengal colouring :)

here’s one more of her really showing her coat off…

View attachment 459102
Ah, seeing THIS pic I vote on a purebred bengal...

Did you saw the comments re coloring by Abc12345 Abc12345 ? They are wise, and I think they will give you a better answer than mine tries.