Anyone Else Not Take Vacations Because Of Your Cats?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had cats for 18 years, and always went on vacation for some days, up to three weeks.

The first year I had found a vet who offered to keep Lola in his home, in a spare room, but, apart from knowing her being in the good hands of a vet, I didn't like the choice. That man was cold and with no empathy.
From the next year, and for a few years later, I had set up my garage to house Lola and Pallina comfortably, with a double door for safety and my mom or a friend of mine to come over twice daily.
Then I tried my former vet, who had a very large room at the back of her practice, a very good option in my point of view, the vet would know them very well, but I wasn't sure the cats would like it.
In the last years I left them home, and I had found two perfect cat-sitters who I completely relied on. They were two veterinary medicine students, the perfect persons to look after two senior cats with some health issues.

we love our guys to death but to have a night or two with no responsibilities is very healthy.
We all love them but we all need a break!
Though it might be true, I always lived those days off as a punishment rather than a break... I couldn't wait to be back home again and take care of them personally.
Taking care of my two beloved cats, looking after their needs from dawn till dusk was my reason of living. When I couldn't do that I would feel void and sad.
And that's how I feel now...

Minnie Mao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What the hell is wrong with people who treat animals like this? I'd like to lock that person is a closet for several days and see how they like it. Ignorant people like this really irk me.
It's not that people like him do not love their pets. They think there is nothing wrong with behaving that way because they really believe that animals such as cats have no particular needs, and above all, they simply can't understand that humans and animals can suffer in the same way.
Lucky,in our case, I convinced him that she would be happier with me and he let me...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
We had cats for 18 years, and always went on vacation for some days, up to three weeks.

The first year I had found a vet who offered to keep Lola in his home, in a spare room, but, apart from knowing her being in the good hands of a vet, I didn't like the choice. That man was cold and with no empathy.
From the next year, and for a few years later, I had set up my garage to house Lola and Pallina comfortably, with a double door for safety and my mom or a friend of mine to come over twice daily.
Then I tried my former vet, who had a very large room at the back of her practice, a very good option in my point of view, the vet would know them very well, but I wasn't sure the cats would like it.
In the last years I left them home, and I had found two perfect cat-sitters who I completely relied on. They were two veterinary medicine students, the perfect persons to look after two senior cats with some health issues.

Though it might be true, I always lived those days off as a punishment rather than a break... I couldn't wait to be back home again and take care of them personally.
Taking care of my two beloved cats, looking after their needs from dawn till dusk was my reason of living. When I couldn't do that I would feel void and sad.
And that's how I feel now...
If we only had two cats it would not be a problem, but with 9 that's a whole different story. And the other night we almost went from 9 to 0, last week my nephew and I hauled furniture in that Deb's mom gave us and Deb saw that one of them threw up and also peed on the buffet, so sweet Debbie turned into Frankenstein's monster, said a lot of bad words which is surely not her style and threatened to get rid of ALL of them, and maybe even me too lol!!! She was just so frustrated that we had this nice furniture not even 2 weeks and they already had to do that!!!

I also suggested that maybe she and I should stay home and ship the cats somewhere, they'd probably enjoy that and we'd have some peace for a little while.....

It's a crazyhouse......:help: :eek: :runaround: :bliss: :please:

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After several years of numerous cats, I have Moki indoor only, and one extreme feral too. Last year, only took trips of 4 to 5 days, and had my trusted pet-sitter come every 2 days, at $10 a visit. I suggest asking social circle, about pet-sitters. We all need a vacay!

RTR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since we have 9 cats and very few people that we would feel comfortable asking to come in and take care of them when we are gone Deb & I have pretty much become home bodies and haven't gone away overnight for years on vacation and I am wondering if anyone else is in the same boat? Her father passed late last year and he used to come up years ago and take care of them when we were away, her mother doesn't drive anymore, my father doesn't drive anymore and my mother at 79 is probably the only one willing and able to do it for us anymore but we hate to ask her to do it although she has offered. We just feel strange asking someone else to do it, don't know why, just do, plus if any of them would get out on them that would put us all in a terrible situation. But I think we need to get away for even just a few days in a few months so we may ask good ole' Mom to do it lol!!

Anyone else in this boat?

RTR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I go asay for as long as ten days with three cats. I have two water fountains and a large bowl of water and a good feeder. I also have a back up feeder. I have a video camera that i can watch them sometimes and it is aimed around their automatic feeders to make sure they are working properly. I also have extra litter boxes. two are made out of rubber maid clothes storage containers. I leave a key with a family member in case the food feeders don't work. So far so good! three days should be no problem. The cats are always happy to see me, but they are always ok!

RTR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since we have 9 cats and very few people that we would feel comfortable asking to come in and take care of them when we are gone Deb & I have pretty much become home bodies and haven't gone away overnight for years on vacation and I am wondering if anyone else is in the same boat? Her father passed late last year and he used to come up years ago and take care of them when we were away, her mother doesn't drive anymore, my father doesn't drive anymore and my mother at 79 is probably the only one willing and able to do it for us anymore but we hate to ask her to do it although she has offered. We just feel strange asking someone else to do it, don't know why, just do, plus if any of them would get out on them that would put us all in a terrible situation. But I think we need to get away for even just a few days in a few months so we may ask good ole' Mom to do it lol!!

Anyone else in this boat?

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
We only have one cat. But she is an older kitty. The last time we took a short trip (4 days) we boarded her at her vet, which is a wonderful place. She's with the vet that takes care of her and they treat the animals wonderfully. BUT she was so freaked out when we got home that now (unless it's an emergency) I won't board her. I couldn't stand to see those little eyes that didn't understand why we were leaving her; she was a rescue kitty. Anyway, now she also needs subq fluids twice a week. Unless we could find someone to come in and stay with her (and I still don't know what we'd do about the fluids) we'll be staying home. Fortunately my hubby is the same way with her so we both feel alike. I'm retiring next year and would really like to take some trips, but not unless Greta can be cared for at home. We don't really have family or friends that I would be comfortable with staying with her. Our little Greta's needs come first. We love our little baby girl.
Just sign us "the staycation" family.
You can always get an RV and then take her with you, of course you would need to stay fairly close to her vet but you all could get away for a few days at time.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well tomorrow we are doing it, we are going to leave Thursday morning and return Sunday evening, we are going to Vermont since it is our 30th wedding anniversary, my parents are going to come in twice a day and take care of the cats and the house, I have been talking to Sylvester "mentally" by visualization trying to convey to him what we are doing, I even contacted Cindy Wenger the animal communicator we have worked with in the past and she said to just visualize us leaving, my parents coming in, them being fine, us coming back so he gets the "picture" and he might be doing just that, when I sit with him and do that he scrunches his eyes a bit and has a look on his face like "okay, I understand....I don't like it but I understand", he really does! And she also told me that they DO have a concept of time so tell him it will be for 4 days so he understands.

I know it will be fine, but I am just so crazy about the little guy, plus we truly have almost forgotten how to relax, we have not been away in 10 or more years, we have had so many bad things happen to us these last few years especially losing her dad late December, but I have a feeling that once we are away for a few days some of that will melt away.

They will be fine, the only thing different for them is that Deb & I will be missing, but like I have clearly and loudly been telling them everyday so they get used to it "we'll be back" :)

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this is great! Good for you! Personally I think we are all a little better at being with our kitties after a little bit of a break. And with such wonderful sitters and coming in twice a day they will be so well cared for. Have fun!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were never ones for taking many vacations, between the expense (3 kids and the kennel expenses for the dog) and having a workaholic husband there wasn't much opportunity. I didn't mind though since my family NEVER took a vacation when I was growing up. Now we have many animals and I do not trust anyone to care for them except me, my husband or my daughter. Even with them there are things I am not comfortable asking them to do (medications or grooming). My husband used to go for a week of golf, which I don't play, to South Carolina with a buddy. The only time I am gone for more than a few hours is when we have a cat show that is so far I have to stay over night. My husband doesn't usually go with me then. I truly am happier not going away. I like routine and vacation interrupts it. I know I am weird!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Well tomorrow we are doing it, we are going to leave Thursday morning and return Sunday evening, we are going to Vermont since it is our 30th wedding anniversary,
Happy 30th Anniversary! :beerchug: Vermont is a lovely state and I'm sure you will enjoy your getaway knowing the kitties will be carefully watched by your parents.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy 30th Anniversary! :beerchug: Vermont is a lovely state and I'm sure you will enjoy your getaway knowing the kitties will be carefully watched by your parents.
Thank you! I will miss the little guy but we'll be back before you know it and he and others will be fine I'm sure!!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we made it up and back, had a WONDERFUL time and stay in Vermont, very relaxing, and my parents held down the fort really well here so all is good! Some of the cats came right out when we got home, some hid including Sylvester, and he slowly came out and was a bit skittish with us at first but I scratched his neck and scooped him up and held him and he just purred away! Then I gave him some catnip toys we bought and he is just fine and so am I, I don't know why I felt so apprehensive about this but it all worked out just fine thank God!!!

:D ;) :clap2: :clapcat:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear you enjoyed your anniversary celebration in VT. I'm sure you were relieved to come home and find the cats were ok. :catlove:
Oh yes, very much so!! I couldn't find my boy Sylvester, Deb said "I'm sure he's here hiding somewhere" but I just HAD to make sure so I looked behind the sofa with a flashlight and there he was! Took a bit to warm up to us, this is all new to him and me with him, but we are just fine now, I missed the little guy so much and after saying it probably one too many times the other night Deb said "how about next time you bring him up here and I stay home?" :jester: :lol:

I CAREFULLY danced around that one lol!!!!

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The BF and I go on vacations whenever we're able to, and we have 2 friends (well, 3 but 2 are married. So 2 houses of friends I guess) who live close to us and who come over a lot so they know our cats well and know that I'm a paranoid catmom, so usually at least one of them is around to stop by to feed and play with the girls when we're gone. Last year we went to Hawaii for college baseball and one of our cat sitter friends came too, and the couple were going away that weekend, so I actually ended up flying another friend down to Long Beach from Sacramento for the weekend to take care of the cats. She's a catmom too, and she's got family down here, so I had assurance that the cats would be taken care of, and she got to see some friends and relatives too. Win-win!

If we're just doing an overnight trip we dont get anyone to come by, they've got several mugs of water, and I feed them wer food before we go and also leave out dry food which is never completely gone by the time we get home the next day. I always worry, but they're always fine. (Knock on wood!!)

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, yes. I have a lot going on otherwise that compels/requires me to stay home, and Speck would also be traumatized if we left. He is terrified of anyone except for DH and me.