Anyone Else Have Just One Cat?

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I only have one cat. I've toyed with the idea of getting another but if I was getting another pet then I'd like it to be a big dog, to which my cat would hate as he can barely tolerate my dog who is about his size. Plus I feel that he's too set in his ways to tolerate another pet -- the only reason he's mostly okay with my dog is because my dog came first.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm definitely going to consider another cat. How long does it typically take for you to get a real sense of whether the cats will work well together or not?
That’s hard to answer! In the case of the cat at the sanctuary, he was a raging screaming attack monster with other cats. And in fact, now that he’s the “house” cat, he’ll even attack your legs if you come into the office after having been in the cat cottage. If you don’t smell like another cat, though, he’s a love bug. He adores people. That’s a pretty clear case.

I knew when I adopted Mocha that Iris and Lily weren’t going to be happy even though they were used to a third cat—Max, who died last summer at age 20. But they’re 14 and pretty set in their ways. There was quite a bit of hissing and some growling. There was smelling of tails and the running away to hide. But no one attacked any one, so I knew pretty quickly that it would be okay. It’s been that way with every new cat I’ve introduced over the years.

What was different this time was that Lily was so stressed that she started going outside the litter box and over grooming herself. The litter box problem lasted from October until December with one relapse since then...last week. She still over grooms a bit. So if you do decide to get another kitty, you’ll have to think about how you might handle issues like that. The litter box misbehavior can be a deal breaker for some people. But with all of the new cats I’ve introduced over the years, Lily is the only one who’s ever done that.

You might want to spend time reading through the many threads here about people having problems introducing new cats to the household. You can see what people have run into and the advice they’ve received. And there are articles here as well.

When people return cats to the sanctuary, I can tell that it’s often a case where they just didn’t give it enough time and/or didn’t take the introduction slowly enough. They were too impatient to let the cats take the time they needed. In the past, my new ones have fit in quickly. With Mocha and my older girls, it has taken months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Even when I have more space, I am wary of the cost of two animals. I still remember how quickly I maxed out a 4,000 dollar credit card when my last little guy became sick. God forbid, but I hate to think of not being able to provide proper vet care for more than one cat. Aslan has a slush fund I keep tucked away in case of medical bills. Not to mention all he does is eat so food and litter can easily run me 100 a month, x 2 = over budget for me. :(

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long does it typically take for you to get a real sense of whether the cats will work well together or not?
It depends on the two cats but sometimes it takes a very, very long time. When I brought Kali home as a kitten in 2011, my 5yo boy, Malibu, was very upset about it. Had a bad attitude for weeks. Wouldn't let me love on him and growled/hissed at me and the new kitten all the time. I thought I had damaged our relationship permanently. It took him about 8 months to finally be the cat he was prior to Kali moving in. I think it also helped when Kali matured from "annoying kitten" to couch cat.

Malibu has since passed and I brought home a 2nd kitten 6 weeks ago. Kali & the kitten are tolerating each other but not friends. Definitely search through this forum the phrase "Introducing New Cat" and you'll have a lot of information to help you mentally prepare.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had just one for a while. She was fine with it. She got all the attention, and she had everything and everyone all to herself.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've only every had only cats. Gwen clearly preferred being an only cat, and adored human attention. She would have been beside herself if she had had to share us with another kitty.

Juniper would probably be OK with another cat, since she's pretty easy-going and young enough to adapt. However, my husband is allergic, and Juniper can be on the timid/skittish side, so it's probably not a good idea for the household as a whole.

My husband also works at home quit a lot of the time, and Juniper doesn't usually have to spend a lot of time alone, so I don't really feel guilty about not getting her a friend. She is showered with affection at all times when we're home, and I've read so many cat introduction horror stories that I think we'll adhere to 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.'

I do disagree strongly with rescues and vets and others who criticize those of us who have single cats, often for very good reasons. Wanting to be able to afford adequate medical care is an excellent reason to have an only, and a loving home for a single cat is much better than a neglectful home for multiple cats, I think.

Dacatchair

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think any blanket statement can rightly be applied to all cats. Some cats will be perfectly happy being solo and others may be totally bored and miserable to the point they develop behavioral problems. If our cats are miserable, I think we do have a responsibility to try and find a solution. But it all depends on us paying attention to the needs of the individual cat.

I have never had more than 1 cat at a time, and as I live in a rural area my previous cats have all had free access to the outdoors, so it has never been an issue. But now I am living with an F7 Savannah who is almost a year old who only goes out with me on a leash or a large catio, and seeing him without a playmate is a lot harder... I am thinking he would enjoy a companion.

Like Bengals, Savannah cats tend to be more physically and mentally active and curious than the average cat, and even though I work out of my home and my SV gets constant attention, interaction and play breaks, he still obviously would like to spend more time doing this than I can give him, and also my style of play has limitations which make me a bit dull.

The suggestions of vertical climbing space, catios, cat videos and puzzle toys do not even come close to providing the mental stimulation my very intelligent cat requires.

One the other hand he loves clicker training.

Like Rini, I also am paying around $100 a month for food.

I have been slowly learning how to make my own raw food. Once I get the best sources figured out, this will probably reduce my food costs by at least 1/2.

After having a kitten die from what was most likely dry FIP, I also have pet health insurance and a slush fund dedicated to covering the percentage I would have to pay if he gets seriously ill. But X 2 that would be more than I can responsibly budget for, and long term, I feel I would probably be being irresponsible to take this on.

And I have no idea how I would manage 2 cats on a leash and going out in the evening for a long stroll is my cats favorite thing...

So all things considered he is probably better off alone, though it is not perfect.

But for my very active and often bored cat, there is no way I would be comfortable leaving him alone during the day and if I worked away from home, I would do what I had to do to get him a companion.

Last edited:

Dacatchair

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still thinking about this and possible solutions.. If I lived in a more populated area, I might try and find someone in a similar situation and arrange play dates. After a gradual supervised introduction, especially if started when they are kittens, and both parties live stable lives and are sure they only want 1 cat, I wonder if that could be a solution for people who work during the day? Sort of like a long term cat day care?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a similar situation as @Kieka. My one girl is absolutely attached to me but she couldn’t care less about my other 2 cats. She tolerates them but I feel like she would be just as content without them around. She’s a Siamese mix by the way. Meanwhile, the other 2 are best friends for life. Just depends on the cat and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being an only cat. Over time he will get used to it and probably won’t want to have another cat around anyway.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since I have to put a cat to sleep Monday now I have one cat. She seems to hog me more I don't think she want a new friend cause it may cause to be hostile. But I noticed she likes being close to me more often.

SuefromTN

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was just curious. I was shamed for this by a lady at the vet when I went to take Aslan to get a new set of Soft Paws put on. She said the Bengals, especially, should never be only cats because they will destroy everything. I told her that I can't afford two cats, plus Aslan is an emotional support animal and my building only allows for one of those. But now I feel bad. He is always in a tizzy when I come home but after he settles down, he does seem to amuse himself just fine...anyone else have just one cat, or started out with just one? When I move and make a little more, I would love to get another.

View attachment 244556 View attachment 244557
We just have the one.. itsall we can afford and keep up with..

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I currently have one cat because I used to have two and as they matured they didn't get on so well anymore and I became more aware of how one bullied and dominated the other. The more dominant one died suddenly after nearly 18 years together and the remaining cat was transformed. She became much more loving and relaxed and seemed to enjoy her life for the first time since she had been a young kitten. I was so glad that she had 4 years on her own with me without the pressures and worries she had had when sharing her life with her sister.

Mouse seems happy and content with life on his own and is pretty good at finding entertainment when he wants to. He is usually on his own for around 8 hours 3 days a week and a little less one other day. His favoured toys are bits of paper and card I leave out and he tries to chew everything he thinks he's not allowed - that and the Catit circuit set up in a circle and half of it hidden in a large paper bag. For the last 18 months he has had a couple of cat-chums and while he does play happily and all three of them swap roles in their chase and pounce games I am sure he is going to breath a sigh of relief when his furry buddies move out in a few weeks time.

I agree with others, there is no single answer here and it very much depends on the cat. But your ability to provide food, safe roof over their head, and adequate veterinary care has to be your leading deciding factor. I know that no matter how much I long to have more than one cat, and whether Mouse looks lonely and sad after his current furry house mates leave, I would struggle to buy the food and litter, and pay the necessary vet bills to add another to our home.

JackAndDandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had only cats for years. only just last year I decided to get two kittens (they were around 4-5 mo.) to raise together. Honestly, if your cat is fine and happy on his own there's no reason to introduce another cat at this stage. From what i've read introducing adults to each other seems more stressful than what it's worth. If you are going to get another one try for one at a similar age.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We're on our second "only cat", and you'd be surprised how many cats that don't like other cats end up in our shelter, mostly for behavioral problems like fighting, inappropriate urination or overgrooming caused by stress in multi-cat households. Several of us who work there have singletons because we're encouraged to free up the single cat rooms when we lose a cat. There simply aren't enough rooms, and the majority of our prospective adopters are looking for a pair or a second cat.

Both our singletons hate(d) other cats, but like(d) dogs.

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We started with one cat. Until 1 years old our boy was the single cat in our home. And we are both working so there was noone in the house during the day. Then, we have found a sick stray kitten and adopted her. Before that we have never planned to get a second cat because our boy was happy with us and he was a very mild tempered cat, not very active and playful.

However, when we adopted the second cat, which was unplanned, after the introduction phase we surprisingly found out that how energetic and playful was our boy actually. He was running with his friend like crazy and was much happier than before.

Honestly, I regretted raising him alone until 1 years old. Now we have 3 cats and I enjoy it.
In the future, after you move if you want to adopt a second cat, go for it. However, also be prepared for the introduction case which is very stressfull and requires so much patience.

Misbelle717

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would not worry about the opinions of a stranger. They don't own your cat so why care what they say? :blush:

I have had an only cat for some time now and she is honestly happier that way, as she is old and does not like other cats.

Additionally, you said you have a Bengal. Having had several Bengals within my family, I can tell you right now that even Bengal cats can be just fine as a single cat, provided they have toys, window views and other such entertainment to take out their seemingly unlimited energy on.

As a fun fact, my little sisters Bengal is the spitting image of yours! ;)

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You know what is best for your baby. You should not feel "pressured" into getting another cat. You do the best you can, especially those that must be at work all day, etc. As long as you give him love, vet care, and the attention that you can when you are home, he will be okay!

I had one cat for many years. He was happy as a clam. I now have 3, and out of the 3 only 1 is social. The other 2 would LOVE to be only cats, lol! :dancingblackcat: :blackcat2:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It has been about the last fifteen years than I have only had one cat at a time. Previous to the current cat, there was one of my girls who demanded to be the baby and the center of attention, so after her elder sibling died, she became an only and was absolutely thrilled. My current girl Willow gets terrified easily and so I doubt she will ever want another cat in the house. And, I am saving a space for my elderly mother’s cat, who will live with me if my mom goes to a nursing home or passes.

I have enjoyed having one cat as opposed to my previous two or three because you don’t need to deal with their relationship issues, there is less cat fur and poop, you don’t need to juggle multiple diets or special foods, the vet bills are much less and you can spoil the heck out of your cat.

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When we decided to adopt Busy, we actually went looking for a cat that was looking to live without furry buddies. We only wanted one cat, and now that I have one I'm glad we made that choice! She's much more expensive than I had expected and has IBD, so isn't exactly low maintenance. She's happy being the centre of attention, and it's plenty for us. As many others have already said, don't let them shame you! You're taking good care of your cat.