Anyone Else Have Just One Cat?

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was just curious. I was shamed for this by a lady at the vet when I went to take Aslan to get a new set of Soft Paws put on. She said the Bengals, especially, should never be only cats because they will destroy everything. I told her that I can't afford two cats, plus Aslan is an emotional support animal and my building only allows for one of those. But now I feel bad. He is always in a tizzy when I come home but after he settles down, he does seem to amuse himself just fine...anyone else have just one cat, or started out with just one? When I move and make a little more, I would love to get another.

IMG_1838.JPG
IMG_1863.JPG

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have had only one (at the moment I have three). Some cats are very happy and in fact prefer to be the one and only. Younger cats and kittens do amuse each other and drain each other’s energy but that doesn’t mean everyone should have more than one. There are many threads on here about folks struggling with introductions between a resident cat and a new cat. If you and Aslan are happy that is what matters.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I only have one cat. She isn't fond of other cats and at her age she isn't interested in making new friends. When my grandpa moved in with us when I was younger he, of course, brought his cat, and that monster was a raging b****. She would sit at the top of the stairs, wait for my cat to try to come up the stairs to my room, then she would viciously attack my cat. Fur would fly. He refused to do anything and he would go off on me every time I closed his cat in his room for 5 minutes so mine could go up the stairs. My parents didn't care at all and refused to do anything. There was one time my cat fought back and beat his cat's butt, so he yelled at my cat and chased her out of the house. I went off on him for that. I was incredibly thankful when his cat died. Not just because she was horribly mean to all living things, but because he refused to take her to the vet ever and we could all tell when she started developing cancer because of the lump in her abdomen. She was in so much pain I had to carry her up the stairs to her bed, down the stairs to the litter box, etc. She didn't get to the vet until my aunt and grandma came for a visit, made the appointment, and threatened to take her whether he came or not. She unsurprisingly had to be euthanized. My aunt stayed in the room with her because he refused.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow sabrinah sabrinah I am so sorry. Your grandfather sounds...interesting. Poor cats, both of them. The old cat was probably mean because she was sick.

I just feel badly when I leave him alone all day and he does have a ton of energy, so I think he'd like a playmate sometimes. But I think two cats in the space I have would be a disaster and if they didn't get along...yikes.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
sabrinah sabrinah :redheartpump:
Rini Rini my Big Guy is an only cat. Every now and then, I think about another but he is too alpha and set in his ways, and I respect that.
You could maybe set up/borrow a camera so you could see what your furbaby does while you're gone. Also there are puzzle toys, platter style toys, streaming videos of birds and squirrels for cats, software you could set up so he can play with what's o n the screen...

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rini Rini Aslan is a stunning kitty!

Do not at all feel bad for only having one cat. Only cats absolutely do live fulfilling lives when cared for by the right person/people. And they get ALL the loves!

When one of my kitties, Tequila, passed away in 2008, Malibu was an only cat for two and a half years before I rescued Kali. He LOVED being an only cat and I'm sure he would have preferred to live out his life as one. But I prefer a two cat household

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Having only one cat sounds so peaceful...so restful...with less growling and hissing and territorial disputes...so much less fur covering everything, so many fewer litter boxes, so much less food and vet expense. Sigh. :)

Seriously, having more than one cat is absolutely no guarantee that they’ll interact with one another. I have three—I’ve generally had three at a time—and they’ve always mostly ignored one another. As I type this, mine are sleeping in three different rooms. About the only time they come together is for meals and the afternoon argument about who will get the top spot on the cat tree. Two of my three are litter mates who barely tolerate each other. They all love me, though, and they have a good life. I enjoy having multiple cats, but someday I know my age and lifestyle will mean I’ll probably have one. He or she will be just fine.

I do have friends whose kitties are inseparable. I wish mine were like that, but there is no one size fits all when it comes to cats! As long as your beautiful Aslan has you and good care, he’ll be fine. :petcat:

And people who shame or criticize you for your choices or necessities of life should mind their own business! Give ‘em a big smile...and walk away. :)

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
abby2932 abby2932 I am so sorry about precious Malibu.

I do love the idea of two cats together, in an ideal world, but I agree that it's better to have one well fed, well loved, well taken care of cat who gets to see the vet regularly than two cats crammed into a small flat, at each other's throats.

Furballsmom Furballsmom I have wanted to try puzzle toys, but he turns his nose up at every brand of treats I try! :( I can't leave wet food it there all day. He has a tower of tracks ball toy but he's not too keen on that one, he'll only play with it if I start moving the balls myself. His favorite game is fetch with these colorful spring toys I buy in bulk since he manages to lose them...where, I have no idea.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As a treat possibility, have you tried freeze dried minnows?
Oh by the way, would an ice pack underneath help with the wet food?

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dried minnows? Oh la la...never heard of that!
The puzzle is designed for dry kibble or treats. I don't want anything that could stink or attract bugs.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My big fella loves them ;) I have to break the larger ones into half or thirds. Never imagined I'd ever be doing that!!
--another treat, although definitely not for a puzzle toy, would be bonito flakes you could try with your boy. :redheartpump:
LOL one of these days you'll do a major cleaning or a household move, and you'll find this ingenious stashing place. I hope I'm here when you find them :cloud9:

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
That is horrible Sabrina. Your grandpa should not have had a cat.

I feel bad about Daisy being the only cat when the neighbor's cat, a big mackeral tabby and white shodrthair named Luke, is at the back door and she tries to play. She gets low, wiggles her butt, and charges at the door, hitting her front paws on the glass, or runs up to.the door and puts her paws on it. Sometimes she jumps. When I unlock the door sand say, "Hi Luke," she.gets excited to see him. So I am pawsitive Daisy would be happier living with another cat. The reason I don't have more than one cat is money.

heatherlcornett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone have an only cat because your cat cannot get along with others? When I adopted my cat I was told that she would not do well with other cats as she was previously returned by her adopter after the adopter had brought a cat and a dog into the home. I have long days sometimes and I feel so bad leaving her at home alone. She has plenty of toys but she meows wanting outside and I wonder if another cat would provide some companionship.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
She did not get along with that other cat. The shelter should not have implied she can't be good friends with another feline.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Does anyone have an only cat because your cat cannot get along with others? When I adopted my cat I was told that she would not do well with other cats as she was previously returned by her adopter after the adopter had brought a cat and a dog into the home. I have long days sometimes and I feel so bad leaving her at home alone. She has plenty of toys but she meows wanting outside and I wonder if another cat would provide some companionship.
I’m going to share my observations from volunteering at an animal sanctuary where the cats are together in one room with year-round access to a screened patio; there are no cats in individual cages. After almost three years, I’ve seen only one cat that clearly cannot be with other cats. He hates other cats, and the staff finally had to remove him because he was literally tearing up the other cats. Bloodshed. Trips to the cat ER. Repeatedly. He now waits for his furever home in the staff offices. Every other cat that has come to the sanctuary has adjusted to group living. Sometimes it takes awhile. But it happens.

Patience. Patience. Patience. Giving it time...the time it takes. Following some tried and true introduction practices.

I adopted a sanctuary cat in October. She’s about four years old. My other two are 14. They were very unhappy at first. Very. But the newcomer loves other cats and doesn’t have an aggressive bone in her body. One of the older cats, in particular, tolerates the new one, and in fact, they were lying next to each other this afternoon. The other one? She doesn’t like Mocha, but she generally ignores her. The household is generally peaceful. But I took it really slowly, and I used Feliway diffusers throughout the house, both kinds.

So my experience is that there are cats that simply hate others forever. Not a lot, but some. There are others who would adjust if introduced properly and given time. I’ve seen at least three newcomers to the sanctuary who were initially hissy and spitty, slapping and chasing. Cranky and unhappy. They adjusted. Mine adjusted.

heatherlcornett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m going to share my observations from volunteering at an animal sanctuary where the cats are together in one room with year-round access to a screened patio; there are no cats in individual cages. After almost three years, I’ve seen only one cat that clearly cannot be with other cats. He hates other cats, and the staff finally had to remove him because he was literally tearing up the other cats. Bloodshed. Trips to the cat ER. Repeatedly. He now waits for his furever home in the staff offices. Every other cat that has come to the sanctuary has adjusted to group living. Sometimes it takes awhile. But it happens.

Patience. Patience. Patience. Giving it time...the time it takes. Following some tried and true introduction practices.

I adopted a sanctuary cat in October. She’s about four years old. My other two are 14. They were very unhappy at first. Very. But the newcomer loves other cats and doesn’t have an aggressive bone in her body. One of the older cats, in particular, tolerates the new one, and in fact, they were lying next to each other this afternoon. The other one? She doesn’t like Mocha, but she generally ignores her. The household is generally peaceful. But I took it really slowly, and I used Feliway diffusers throughout the house, both kinds.

So my experience is that there are cats that simply hate others forever. Not a lot, but some. There are others who would adjust if introduced properly and given time. I’ve seen at least three newcomers to the sanctuary who were initially hissy and spitty, slapping and chasing. Cranky and unhappy. They adjusted. Mine adjusted.
I'm definitely going to consider another cat. How long does it typically take for you to get a real sense of whether the cats will work well together or not?

heatherlcornett

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She did not get along with that other cat. The shelter should not have implied she can't be good friends with another feline.
Yes, I agree. Their implication was that she needed a lot of attention and being in a home with other animals would not allow that. She is somewhat "needy" in that she likes to have a lot of attention but I wonder if some of that would go away if she had another cat to keep her company. She has had recurrent cystitis related to stress in the past but it seems like that is under control now with medication and diet. We just moved so I don't want to stress her just yet with another addition but I would like to provide her some companionship once she starts to settle in more here.

tuffsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tuff is an only cat and seems to love it just fine. We live beside a city park with lots of trees, squirrels and birds. He spends hours sitting in windows or on our screened porch looking outside. I don't think he wants to share his space with any other cat!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got Lelia she was my only cat. She had come from a foster home with other kitties, so I knew she'd do well with other cats, but I felt like I could only afford one. She was fine - she came to me at 4.5 months so there was a lot of play and following me. She slept most of the day when I was gone (based on her routines on days off from school) and would wait for me at the window.

I recently moved in with my bf whose cat had also been an only cat, except for eight years instead of the ten months Lelia was. We took letting them be together pretty slowly, and they mostly tolerate each other, though sometimes the bf's cat will just start swiping at and chasing Lelia.

What we've both noticed is that our cats seem to need us a bit less with another cat around. His cat used to constantly sit on his lap and be around. Mine's not as much of a lap kitty, but I see her less. I don't know how much of that is them keeping each other company and how much is that our place is much bigger than either of our old places.

She seemed pretty happy both ways, so I wouldn't worry about having an only cat.