Another new breed: Caracats

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love the idea of wild cats crossed with domestics, but I have jumped off the fence and have decided that I don't like the practice. After meeting with a noted wildlife biologist who fought wih TICA against the inception of Bengals, I agree with her that is is better to manipulate our domestic cats instead of going against nature to develop new breeds.

Bengals and the other hybrids are gorgeous animals, it just doesn't feel right to me.

This is simply my opinion and not meant to offend anyone.

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sohni

I love the idea of wild cats crossed with domestics, but I have jumped off the fence and have decided that I don't like the practice. After meeting with a noted wildlife biologist who fought wih TICA against the inception of Bengals, I agree with her that is is better to manipulate our domestic cats instead of going against nature to develop new breeds.

Bengals and the other hybrids are gorgeous animals, it just doesn't feel right to me.

This is simply my opinion and not meant to offend anyone.
You aren't alone. There are a lot of people that feel that way. I, personally, don't mind it. However, I do not agree with putting a cat in danger by doing it. To get the Bengal, the Asian Leapord Cat was used - very close in size to the domestic and the gestation wasn't as varied.

I still love the look of the breed in this thread, but I don't think it is worth the risk to the Abby that has to breed and carry the kittens.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At first I thought they were gorgeous... but then I read whats going on.
I hope someone is really watching whats happening. And I hate that they are being declawed! Some species are better off being left to bature and not freak experiments. We will see I guess.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hate to bring this one back up. . . but I recently read on another list that the Caracat breeder had passed away prior to the article's publication in the TICA Trend and thus the Caracat project is no longer active.

This same source also stated that the Aby queen was in labor for 30 hours. Poor darling. . .

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear of the passing, but God works in mysterious ways - hopefully the cats won't have someone else stepping in to revive this.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I realize this is now a moot point, but why couldn't the female caracal carry the kittens for a few generations? Would they grow up feral?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

I realize this is now a moot point, but why couldn't the female caracal carry the kittens for a few generations? Would they grow up feral?
She probably wouldn't let a male Aby mate with her. She might even kill him.

pollyesther_7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Please let me introduce myself. I am the daughter of the woman that you are criticizing. Please refrain from making any more judgments about her; I can assure you that her intentions were pure and she was one of the most loving and kind individuals in the world. She loved felines more than humans. She made an enormous contribution to the feline species. Think about it. Over-breeding does what to any species? Hybrids are highly evolved and adaptable. My mother had a brilliant idea and followed through until completion. You have no idea what my mother went through to make her dream a reality. She can't exactly defend herself, so I must. I am extremely proud of her. My mother passed away August 27th 2008. Please be respectful. Thank you.

~A

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think anybody was insensitive or disrespectful towards your mother as a person. However, this is a forum where we openly discuss cat breeds and breeding practices. Many of us have strong feelings when it comes to different breeds, and breeds that are wild hybrids always seem to generate a lot of discussion.

Nobody means any disrespect towards your mother. However, disrespect is different from disagreement.