Alternatives to regular collars?

dooperdoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have two cats who break outside no matter what. We open the door for one second too long? They rush out at max speed and disappear. They've even managed to find a way to get outside through a small gap in the house we didn't know existed and have since patched it. It's insanely difficult to rangle them back in because they're so fast. They usually stay around the general area but it just worries me insanely whenever they're gone. I don't want someone to assume they're strays so we wanted to add a tagged collar on them- but apparently those are choking hazards? And break away collars can be easily removed. Is chipping a good solution or is there another alternative to let people know to return them if they see them.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You should definitely get your cats chipped if you have not already done so. The first thing any responsible vet or shelter should do when a cat is brought into them is scan for a microchip. It's no exaggeration to say that microchips can save lives. I also wouldn't discount breakaway collars. Once the cat is used to wearing one, they don't tend to come undone unless they're supposed to, i.e. when the cat is at risk of choking.

Here's a useful TCS article about microchips and tags.

Finally, there are members of this forum who could possibly help you transition your cats to being indoor-only, which I would recommend you do if you have busy roads or large predators around you. This article might also be useful, although it might also just cover ground you've already tried.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your cats.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would go with a break-away collar, a chip, and if possible make a post on any neighborhood social media sites you have access to (facebook, next door, etc.) to let people know that your cats like to sneak outside and are not strays.
If you own your own home, could you make a small catio for them so they have a safe place to be outside any time they wish?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats need breakaway collars for safety. Microchip and perhaps printing some funny flyers for your neighbours is best. Something with a photo of your cat and contact info while identifying him as an escape artist to be returned.

That being said, ive found a few cats with breakaway collars and tags still attached. One before the owner even realized the escape!

If you can add a porch (theres temporary ones as well) to use as an "air lock" that may help too.

Preventing Door Dashing.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I get cork collars, which I can just feel with my fingers must be more comfortable than nylon. To me at least they feel lighter, too.