Alternative To Mesh Screens

CantTouchThis7126

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am getting a kitten but really don't want mesh screens since they would restrict airflow and just look unpleasant. I also do not want a lock that opens my window only part way because that would restrict airflow as well. Are there any alternatives?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are looking for an alternative for your windows, and you don't currently have screens? Is this correct? Just trying to understand!!

I have screens in my windows, and have never found them to restrict view or airflow. But, I am guessing you are not located in the US...

Also, there is no way to keep a window closed enough to stop a kitten from squeezing out through even the tiniest of openings. So, glad you aren't interested in that aspect anyway.

Last edited:

pipperoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I concur with FeebysOwner. I put screens on my windows when Pip was a kitten because she is/was VERY adventurous and curious and I really needed them for her safety more than anything. She still tried to push them out (!).

Anyway, my screens are fairly invisible and definitely let the fresh air in, and they keep Pip safe inside.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never had screens that restricted airflow in the least. And I've lived in all sorts of climates. That's the purpose of a screen, to keep bugs out without restricting airflow. And a well-constructed, well-installed screen is almost invisible, anyway.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't have screens how do you keep the mosquitoes, flies, wasps and the like out? I'm really asking, because I've seen that some people don't have screens and don't want them and I wondered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CantTouchThis7126

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just hung up this sticky paper ribbon you can buy to catch the bugs. Also, I think I am going to get the SeeVue mesh screen by Phifer. I live on the 13th floor of my building and have window grills for safety at the moment (but the kittens can get through these). When I apply the SeeVue stainless steel mesh, do you think I should remove the grills? DO you think it would be safe o do so?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, yes the 13th floor would make a difference for the bugs. I don't think most fly that high. Any solid screening secured into the window frame would be good. Kittens can get through the smallest of places. They will lean against lightly put in screens so get some screws involved in putting the screens in.

Be sure to hang the sticky ribbons away from where the kittens can jump and, bear in mind that that distance will change. Does the sticky tape have poison on it?

CantTouchThis7126

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, the sticky ribbons are not poisoned. Also, you would be surprised at how many flies are willing to fly that high. Summer time is terrible with the flies in the apartment. I am wondering if I should overlap the screen and grills (though I have no idea how to do that) for safety reasons. I do not want my kittens or any of my five kids (ages 4, 12, 13, 15, and 16) falling through the window.
window.jpg
window1.jpg

CantTouchThis7126

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also do you think SeeVue or TurScene mesh screens are better?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would overlap them - if at all possible. Still have to go look at this screening you are talking about. But, thanks - that pic helps a lot in getting a better idea of the issue!!

Sticky stuff ain't going to cut it - I don't think anyway. You are talking about having to permanently affix the screen to the grill. If that is not possible, then I take back what I said about overlapping them.

You do have an conundrum!! But, we will try as hard as we can to come up with some plausible options!!!

Maybe you need to have a new window frame custom made with meshing to fit the windows - is that possible?

CantTouchThis7126

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would overlap them - if at all possible. Still have to go look at this screening you are talking about. But, thanks - that pic helps a lot in getting a better idea of the issue!!

Sticky stuff ain't going to cut it - I don't think anyway. You are talking about having to permanently affix the screen to the grill. If that is not possible, then I take back what I said about overlapping them.

You do have an conundrum!! But, we will try as hard as we can to come up with some plausible options!!!

Maybe you need to have a new window frame custom made with meshing to fit the windows - is that possible?
I don't think it is because I live in public housing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you asked the landlord (the public housing authority) for what you can do about the windows to keep the cats and the 4 year old from tumbling out (13 floors :shocked:) but still keep bugs out?
Good point! I am sure you can tell us the background to that, yes? Perhaps, the cats are a 'no-no' in your housing agreement, but certainly not a 4 year old child?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Those screens look about the same to me from looking at them on line - you would probably have to take a look at them in person (if you can) to see which one you liked the best. However, I noticed the Seevue web site also showed metal snap in splines and made to fit framing - is that something that you might talk to a rep about and see what could be built?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i saw a show on animal planet with the ASPCA where a cat had fallen through the same grill you have. It survived but broke three legs. they fixed it and returned it to it's owners. They might have suggestions since they said these falls happen a lot.

If your window sills and sides are wood you can screw the mesh into them. If you have screws made for metal and a decent drill you can do it if the sides are metal. Odds are it isn't a very heavy/thick metal.

CantTouchThis7126

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't remove the grills, but I'll try to somehow put the mesh between the gaps...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What about what I mentioned earlier - a custom metal mesh screen that fits over the existing grill?
Those screens look about the same to me from looking at them on line - you would probably have to take a look at them in person (if you can) to see which one you liked the best. However, I noticed the Seevue web site also showed metal snap in splines and made to fit framing - is that something that you might talk to a rep about and see what could be built?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can buy light weight strong wire and use it to thread through the mesh and tie the mesh to the grill you have. Most pliers have a wire cutter in them - the little narrow part between the pliers part and the handle - which will cut the light weight wires. If you go to a hardware store tell the clerk what you need. Take a photo of the mesh with you so the clerk and you can see the size the wire will have to be. The vet suggested we use a twisty tie from a bread wrapper to replace the missing lock on the cat carrier (lid to base) with the other locks it worked. Wire is strong.