Alternative To Mesh Screens

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since the OP lives in public housing, there are most likely rules and such on modifications to windows, interior of the apartment, etc. The OP should check with the public housing authority that runs the apartment before doing anything to the windows and not risk a fine or eviction.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't need screen to keep the bugs out, I'd use 1/4" or 1/2" hardware cloth (it's wire mesh, not cloth---I don't know why they call it that) and zip ties. You can get a good-sized roll for $10 or so, zip ties should be less than $5. You'd also need a wire cutter, but as pointed out, if you have a basic tool kit it should have pliers with a wire cutter on them. I don't think anyone would object because zip ties are easily removed and there would be no permanent damage. The hardware cloth would be sturdier than screen too.

This stuff: https://www.lowes.com/pd/garden-zon...FSZbzQuae_yoTF6kpoQuqcn8rNC_bXyBoC5D8QAvD_BwE

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CantTouchThis7126

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am just wondering if fiberglass mesh screens would be alright to keep my cats safe. Would the cats be able to scratch and destroy it. I am looking at the Phifer standard fiberglass mesh screen. Or should I stick to the stainless steel seevue mesh screen? I prefer to get fiberglass but will get the steel one if necessary.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not sure, but did you - just for the heck of it - take the little "test" on the Phifer web site, to see what they would recommend based on your preferences? It's an automated survey, so no sign-on requirements or giving your names, etc. It's not a very complex test admittedly, but it might steer you toward one or the other.

The other thing, especially if you are planning on buying this at a home improvement store is to ask about the durability of the fiberglass mesh, as I believe it is coated with vinyl. Would the vinyl scratch off and what would it look like if it did?

You could also ask for a sample piece of each, a
nd construct a mini test window
to a just to see what would happen if the cats used it as a play toy. Ask the store rep for help in terms of devising such a test. I don't know where you are located, but where I am I have Lowe's, Home Depot, and Ace Hardware - all three of these stores have always been helpful to me when I have done a DIY project.