All things Books and Reading thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm a huge Preston/Child fan! I have a few of the Pendergast books, and will be getting the rest of them. And NO, I did not know that there was a new one out! I'll put that on my Wish List at Amazon.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am really liking BookBub, usually a couple of free books a week that I grab for later.
Try Early Bird Books (one freebie daily), Free Booksy, Free Nook Books, Free Kobo Books, etc.. Also, Project Gutenberg and Librivox. You can get the complete Sherlock Holmes, virtually everything Kipling wrote, and Mark Twain, and ...
* * * * * *​
Well, I gave up on the Heirs of Camber series; it was just too depressing. I have now finished the Keeper trilogy, by Tanya Huff, which was hilarious, and am now working on A Wizard of Mars, by Diane Duane, one of the more recent entries in her Young Wizards series.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgot to mention. I was on the other side of town today, and my meeting ended just in time for me to drive home (West) while the sun was setting, so I stopped at a nice little used book store that I know of over there, until it was safe to drive. I gave them a list of books that I'm looking for, and they'll call me if/when someone brings one of them in:
  • The Shepherd's Crown by Sir Terry Pratchett, the final :bawling: Discworld novel, and the final Tiffany Aching novel.
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner, a soon-to-be-published collection of short stories by Sir Terry Pratchett.
  • Cat Shining Bright by Shirley Rousseau Murphy. I got a copy of Cat Shout for Joy a while back, which was quite satisfying, and I'm looking forward to watching the kittens grow up.
  • The Murder of Mary Russell by Laurie R. King.
  • War Maid's Choice, by David Weber, the fourth book in the Bahzell Bahnakson series.
  • Click Clack Moo: Cows that Type by Doreen Cronin, illustrated by Betsy Lewin, a hilarious children's book.
  • The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig by Eugene Trivizas, illustrated by Helen Oxenbury, another very funny children's book.
Good night.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Darn! I forgot to ask them to look out for the final two Amelia Peabody mysteries, by Elizabeth Peters: Tomb of the Golden Bird and A River in the Sky. I'll have to give them a call tomorrow.

Margret

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Don't forget FreeBooksy: Freebooksy - Free Kindle Books, Nook Books, Apple Books and Kobo Books Hand-Selected Daily. Pick your favorite genre, and start reading free kindle books. They send an email out every day and all but 2-3 of the books are free.

I'm going to head over to the library today to see if they have the new Preston/Child and also to re-read Obsidian Chamber (the Pendegast novel before the new one). I want to look for Full Wolf Moon, the new Lincoln Child book. And to just generally see what new books are there.

The problem is that I get these books from the library and well, there goes my weekend! :lol: Who wants to clean house and cook and bake if you can spend the weekend with your nose in a book.....or three?!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
In case somebody might be interested: Fantastic Fiction

You click on the link and then go to the letter of the last name of your author. It will list all the new books that author has out. It will also list any series the author has. It's actually pretty interesting...I have it bookmarked and thought somebody here might be interested in checking it out.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cat Shining Bright by Shirley Rousseau Murphy. I got a copy of Cat Shout for Joy a while back, which was quite satisfying, and I'm looking forward to watching the kittens grow up.
You're going to love it! Thanks to a focus group I do online, I get periodic $5 gift certificates for Amazon, so I pre-ordered it in hardback. Cost me less than $2! I was SO excited when it finally came in!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm currently reading my first Agatha Christie novel, Murder on the Orient Express. I was into Nancy Drew as a kid, but then lost interest in mystery for whatever reason. Trying to get back into it.
Not a bad book to get started with. I especially enjoyed Dame Agatha's Tommy and Tuppence mysteries, and her Miss Marple mysteries. I think that with Miss Marple she pretty much invented the Cozy Mystery sub-genre.

I grabbed several Ellery Queens the other day when Early Bird Books informed me of a sale. I used to have an entire set.

Another author you may want to check out is Dorothy L. Sayers. I absolutely loved her Peter Wimsey books. Though she did have some of the common prejudices of her day, thinking of Jews and Scots as misers, and in one of the pre-WWII mysteries there was an absolutely chilling reference to "Mr. Hitler's reforms."

If you also like S.F. and comedies of manners you'll love To Say Nothing of the Dog, by Connie Willis. Good mystery, extremely funny, and a glimpse into the Victorian era.

Margret

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm currently reading my first Agatha Christie novel, Murder on the Orient Express. I was into Nancy Drew as a kid, but then lost interest in mystery for whatever reason. Trying to get back into it.
I used to love Nancy Drew too, but don't read mysteries much anymore either. And I've never read anything by Agatha Christie. Will be curious to see what you think of it once you're done.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Word of warning about FreeBooksy: I always seem to find at least one book that their email lists as free on Amazon which actually isn't; be absolutely sure about the price before you click on "Buy now with 1-Click." Also, be aware that when you claim a free book on Amazon you do it with the "Buy now with 1-Click" button, not the "Read for Free" button, which is actually an ad for Amazon Prime.

You may also want to check out InstaFreebie, though their books are generally free because they're being offered by new authors, so a fairly high percentage of them are duds. Every once in a while, though... Also, any books that you claim will automatically get you on either the author's or the publisher's email list.

Except for freebies I don't generally buy from Amazon. However, they're marvelous for when I'm trying to decide whether or not to actually buy a not-for-free book. If you're considering spending money on a book, first check out the 3-star reviews on Amazon, and select "All reviewers," not just "Verified purchase" reviewers. (Yes, this can get you some reviews that aren't legitimate, but it also gets you more reviews.) Sometimes the 3-star reviews all amount to "Well, I never give more than 3 stars, but this is a really great book!" and sometimes they amount to "I'm not sure why I gave this book any stars at all but it was horrible." And when the reviewer adds the reason for their rating that will tell you a lot about the book.

Another thing that I find useful is to check out the author page of any author I enjoy and set it to sort by price, low to high. Frequently you can find free books by your favorite authors, and/or low priced books by your favorite authors.

Margret

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I really enjoyed Agatha Christie and have read almost all of her books. Loved Nancy Drew when I was young and the Hardy Boys, too.

Margret Margret That's a good note about FreeBooksy and I should have mentioned that, but didn't think of it. Thank you. I was "caught" a couple times, thinking a book was free and when I actually got to Amazon, there was a charge.

Does anybody read Suzanne Brockmann? The Troubleshooter series? She has a new one out and I got it from the library yesterday. My stash of books I'm on a Preston/Child roll now!):

Blue Labyrinth - Preston/Child (Pendergast)
Crimson Shore - Preston/Child (Pendergast)
The Obsidian Chamber - Preston/Child (Pendergast)
Utopia - Lincoln Child
Some Kind of Hero - Suzanne Brockmann (Troubleshooters)
The Romanov Ransom - Clive Cussler (Sam and Remi Fargo)

The library did not have City of Endless Night. I'm thinking of just buying it, but haven't decided if I want it in hardback or e-book. I have a $3.44 credit from Barnes that is burning a hole in my pocket.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm currently reading "Death of a Southern Fried Redneck" by Lee Hollis. It's...amusing, and ok, and the mystery is good, but it isn't going to be an "OH MY GOD I MUST HAVE THE WHOLE SERIES!!!" book for me. No complaints, though, I am being gently amused.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They must be somewhat popular, because my library has the e-book. "Death of a Southern Fried Redneck" is book 2 in the series. My library has 5, but Google tells me there's at least 9.

I see there's cats and/or dogs on the covers. Are the animals a big part of the story?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They must be somewhat popular, because my library has the e-book. "Death of a Southern Fried Redneck" is book 2 in the series. My library has 5, but Google tells me there's at least 9.

I see there's cats and/or dogs on the covers. Are the animals a big part of the story?
Not really. I mean, Our Heroine has a dog. And the deceased in Death of a Kitchen Diva had a cat named Puff, only briefly mentioned, but...they certainly aren't even nearly central to the story. It was something of a disappointment.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, that is disappointing, considering the animals are on the cover. Oh well, I've marked them on my "wish list" to get to someday. ;)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw a trailer on television about a new filmed version of Murder on the Orient Express, to be released on November 10th. It stars Daisy Ridley as Mary Debenham, Johnny Depp as Ratchett, Michelle Pfeiffer as Mrs. Hubbard, and Kenneth Branagh as Hercule Poirot. I only put Branagh last because IMDB lists the first three as the "Top Billed Cast"; personally I think there's something wrong with not putting the detective at the top of the list, but I guess maybe that's why I'm not employed by IMDB (it couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that I've never applied for a job there, could it?).

Margret

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw a trailer on television about a new filmed version of Murder on the Orient Express, to be released on November 10th. It stars Daisy Ridley as Mary Debenham, Johnny Depp as Ratchett, Michelle Pfeiffer as Mrs. Hubbard, and Kenneth Branagh as Hercule Poirot. I only put Branagh last because IMDB lists the first three as the "Top Billed Cast"; personally I think there's something wrong with not putting the detective at the top of the list, but I guess maybe that's why I'm not employed by IMDB (it couldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that I've never applied for a job there, could it?).

Margret Margret , this sounds very, very good. I am really glad to hear about it.

Right now, I am three quarters thru Under The Same Sky: From Starvation In North Korea To Salvation In America. This non-fiction so far has taught me so much about life during famine in North Korea and I am waiting to see how the story ends. From the title, I am assuming the writer goes to live in America, but the book has not told that yet. It is very interesting for me.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just finished my "2017 Goodreads Reading Challenge"! Right now, I'm reading a few of the Leslie Meier "Lucy Stone" series that were sent to me by a dear friend. They're ok, even enjoyable, but they won't be a series that "I MUST HAVE". They will be donated to a local convalescent center where they will be loved and appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.