All things Books and Reading thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Did you ever start reading a book, get about halfway through it, and realize that you just didn't care what happened?

I was trying to read Monet Talks by Tamar Myer, part of her Den of Antiquities series. A myna bird is stolen. And amidst all the "wailing" and such, I realized I didn't care. I didn't care what happened to the bird. I didn't even care enough to skip to the last chapter and find out. I put the book down and picked up another book. And that was that. It doesn't happen to me often, but I could not read another word from that book. (The main characters "wail" a lot in her books.)

Currently, I'm re-reading The Fiery Cross (Outlander). I started re-reading Voyager because it's the third season of Outlander on Starz and, darn it, I got interested in the series all over again! Finished Voyager, read the Drums of Autumn and now I'm on The Fiery Cross. Again. I can't tell you how many times I've re-read those books....and how many times I will probably continue to re-read them.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH, Winchester Winchester , I AM SO IN TOUCH WITH OUTLANDER! I began reading them when the first one appeared in paperback. I read them until they fall apart, and then buy them again. The only one I don't have is "The Outlandish Companion," which may be my next book purchase, and, of course, the one she is currently writing, "Go and Tell the Bees That I Have Gone." Not sure who dies in that one, either Jamie or Claire, and not sure what will happen to Bree and Roger...Perhaps their story will continue.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you ever start reading a book, get about halfway through it, and realize that you just didn't care what happened?
Yes! When I was younger I felt like I had to finish every book I started, even if I didn't much care for it. I've since learned that life is too short, and go on to the next. Of course, it helps that the majority of my books are free Kindle books, or through Kindle Unlimited, so I don't feel bad hitting the delete button.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
{From a different thread, but this is the right place to quote them}:
I also Googled, and the GoodReads site was one of the first that came up. I'm not a member, but I'm pretty sure I should be.

Margret
Yes, you really should! Get thee hence, woman, so that we may befriend one each to the other! ~mutters to self~ you have been reading far, FAR too many historical novels, my girl.
Well, I tried to join GoodReads this afternoon and was informed that I couldn't because my email address was already taken. In other words, I joined before and forgot. :paperbag: :sigh: So, I did the whole password recovery thing and then spent a couple of hours updating my shelves (not to imply that I'm done with that or anything).

So, how do I friend you on GoodReads?

Margret

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
OH, Winchester Winchester , I AM SO IN TOUCH WITH OUTLANDER! I began reading them when the first one appeared in paperback. I read them until they fall apart, and then buy them again. The only one I don't have is "The Outlandish Companion," which may be my next book purchase, and, of course, the one she is currently writing, "Go and Tell the Bees That I Have Gone." Not sure who dies in that one, either Jamie or Claire, and not sure what will happen to Bree and Roger...Perhaps their story will continue.
I had heard that one of them will pass away and I know that I'm going to be in tears throughout that book. Doesn't matter which one of them dies, it's going to kill me, too. I even fell in love with Rollo! (And now when I talk to Jackie, I say things like "Does yon Beast wish to use the privy?" before I take her out to pee. Rick just rolls his eyes and mutters. :lol: He says she's going to be the only dog who understand what "privy" means!)

I need to get The Outlandish Companion and I'd also like to get the stories of Lord John Grey as well. (Hmmm, maybe I should put them on my wish list for Christmas)

I cannot even begin to think of how many times I have read those books. And yet, I still get sucked in every time. I dearly love them.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've only read the Outlander series once, last year in fact, and because I'm a slow reader I can't see myself ever reading them again. It took me months to read them! I am looking forward to the next novel, though wasn't aware either Claire or Jamie was going to die. :( I know DG was posting excepts from the book on her site, but I stopped going there / reading them, because I didn't want to feel like I'd read the book before, when I do read it. I'm weird that way, as because I read slowly I tend to remember most of what I read. Or least I do, if I end up reading a book a second time.

Considering the title is "Go and Tell the Bees That I Have Gone" that sounds more like Claire's POV than Jamies. So maybe Claire dies. Or Jamie dies and Claire leaves their home. Guess we'll find out, and hopefully not before we get to read the book. I got spoiled over a Harry Potter death once, and was not impressed. :cringe:

Onto current reads, I'm nearly finished John Grisham's "The Rooster Bar". I'm enjoying it, but can't decide if I like the main characters or not.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, how do I friend you on GoodReads?
Click on the Friends icon at the top of your page. Then at the top of the new page, on the right, it will say "find friends" From there, you can enter Rebecca Surette and I should come up!

Currently I am reading "The Cat, The Devil and Lee Fontana by Shirley Rousseau Murphy and Pat Murphy (her husband). This is must-read stuff for huge fans of Joe Grey. It, and its sequel, are the story of Misto, and take place between his nine lives. He is a prison ghost cat and follows Lee Fontana out when he is paroled. Can't tell you more than that...that's as far as I have gotten.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Click on the Friends icon at the top of your page. Then at the top of the new page, on the right, it will say "find friends" From there, you can enter Rebecca Surette and I should come up!
I'll do that when I make it to the site again; I'm totally swamped this week. There's a bill we're trying to get through our state legislature and the leaders in the legislature have been refusing to allow it to come up for a vote, for two years now. The new session starts in January, and we're in the middle of a big push to reactivate lapsed volunteers.

Well, I'm on the last chapter of The Sword of the South, by David Weber. It's the 5th book in his War God series, and I haven't had a chance to read the 4th book yet. Fortunately, there's a new hero in this book who has amnesia, which provides a neat excuse for another character to catch him up on major events from the 4th book. And it is becoming increasingly obvious that this book does not finish off the series. Also that book 6 isn't out yet. :sigh:

David Weber is resorting to one of the most enduring myths from our world -- the once and future king, who has a magic sword. And I'm guessing, based on some foreshadowing, that Bahzell and Leeana's daughter, Gwynna, will turn out to be our new character's Guinevere, though I seriously doubt that there will be a Lancelot to steal her away.

I think I'll finish the book tonight and then go to sleep.

Margret

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've finished Orient Express. I have to confess that I already knew the ending because it was brought up in an episode of Doctor Who, but I was interested to know how Poirot would figure it out. I was riveted!

Tonight, I'll start Princess Bride :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Of course I've heard of it, but I know nothing about Murder on the Orient Express. I've just put the e-book on hold at the library. There's 27 people ahead of me, but there's 3 copies, so really only 9 waiting for each copy. Kinda anxious to start reading it. :)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Still on "The Cat, the Devil, and Lee Fontana. This book is very different in tone from the Joe Grey books, which truly were cozy mysteries, but I'm enjoying it a lot. Much slower reading for me, I usually eat a book in 1-2 days. This story is going to stay with me for awhile, it is haunting, and that has nothing to do with Misto, the ghost cat!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I didn't manage to stay awake long enough to finish Sword of the South last night, and today has been totally hectic so far.

I just got a call from my bank saying that my account is overdrawn by over $300, much to my surprise. It seems that I wrote a check in April for a one month subscription to the local newspaper, with the understanding that it expired after one month and that they were not being given blanket access to my checking account. At the end of the month the paper stopped coming, but they've been withdrawing money every month since then. :livid: :angryfire: :cloudy: :disturbed: :fuming: :bat:

The newspaper has just lost a potential customer, for life, and I'm challenging the charges, of course.

What a rotten time for this! I'm busy trying to sign up for Medicare, trying to find a new chiropractor who accepts Medicare (and a Google search is so far pretty useless -- it keeps returning results for Medicaid), and my local political action committee is deep in the middle of trying to reactivate previous volunteers, which is eating up huge portions of my time. Not to mention Christmas coming up.

Margret

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Absolutely fight it. Those jerks. Don't forget leave reviews on yelp and I know you don't facebook but that's a good reason to do so. Go on their Facebook page and post. Bet you are not the only one.

I'm reading my old Harlequin temptations..just fluff reading.

Winchester Winchester I have all 4 paperbacks if you need a copy. Same for Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 .I found a few copies in my stash. I dont think I have fiery cross. I can't get into outlander. I should because I love sandra hill who also writes Scottish time travel romance and she's witty.

I still have to pack up books for my friends. I just been lazy this month.

Last night went to the booksale I go to every November and found a newer book by Nora roberts..too bad it's book #2 of a 3 part series. Grrrr. I may read it anyway. For now I like my fluffy romance. I have so many of them I just have to try to read one a week...in fact last week read one in 2 nights.
It was printed in 1995 so was before smart phones and stuff. In honor of younger guys is the title. It actually was pretty neat story about a woman in her 30s who has a fling with a 26 year old but he ends up falling in love with her. He was contracted to build her log cabin. She's an artist and makes jewelry. It was very interesting because he is friends with her brother. Who basically picked him up and held up against the wall telling him to stay the h away from his sister...but it didn't work out that way. Evidently he used to be quite the ladies man. She was recently divorced as hubs left her for a younger woman...there were 3 different conflicts going on which made it interesting....i don't know why but I love my harlequins.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have all 4 paperbacks if you need a copy. Same for Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 .I found a few copies in my stash. I dont think I have fiery cross. I can't get into outlander. I should because I love sandra hill who also writes Scottish time travel romance and she's witty.
With some authors I love everything they've ever written. With others, one series will be great (from my perspective) and another will be a total dud (also from my perspective), and with some authors (Connie Willis, for instance) I really, really wish the author would put a body count on the book cover.

i don't know why but I love my harlequins.
Why only matters if it can give you clues to other kinds of books you may like. You like what you like. :dunno:

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished "The Cat, the Devil and Lee Fontana" yesterday, and am reading the second book, "The Cat, the Devil, the Last Escape." While they are very different in tone from the Joe Grey series, I'm really enjoying them.

Thanks, foxxycat foxxycat , but I do actually have all of the Outlander series. In fact, I have had all of them several times over the years. As I manage to read one literally to pieces, I replace it!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I finished "The Cat, the Devil and Lee Fontana" yesterday, and am reading the second book, "The Cat, the Devil, the Last Escape." While they are very different in tone from the Joe Grey series, I'm really enjoying them.
I liked both of them, but not quite as much as the Joe Grey series.

I've mainly been reading lots and lots of biographies, with some true crime and cozy mysteries thrown in. Next up is Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann | PenguinRandomHouse.com

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I liked both of them, but not quite as much as the Joe Grey series.
I'm with you on that, the Joe Grey series is just...joyful. These are...not. But there is a thread of spirituality in them that I love.

Status
Not open for further replies.