All things Books and Reading thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm into day 3 of "Someplace to be Flying" by Charles de Lint, one of my top 3 favorite authors of all time. I never, ever get tired of reading and re-reading his books.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got the first four books of The Cat in the Stacks mystery series, about a librarian and his Maine Coon cat, and ALSO have the first two books of Laurie Cass' The Bookmobile Cat mystery series. SO many good mysteries with cats as central characters! Light reading, but there is NOTHING wrong with light reading!
I am new to this thread and have only begun reading on page one of this forum. I looked into the books by Laurie Cass, The Bookmobile Cat series and I can't wait to go to Barnes and Noble to download one of the series onto my new nook. (I do not have wifi in my house yet, but hope to get it). Besides, it gives me a chance to go to the bookstore. Thank you Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 for posting about these cat mysteries as I was not aware of them! I am still deciding which one to get first! :bluepaw: :geekcat:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am new to this thread and have only begun reading on page one of this forum. I looked into the books by Laurie Cass, The Bookmobile Cat series and I can't wait to go to Barnes and Noble to download one of the series onto my new nook. (I do not have wifi in my house yet, but hope to get it). Besides, it gives me a chance to go to the bookstore. Thank you Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 for posting about these cat mysteries as I was not aware of them! I am still deciding which one to get first! :bluepaw: :geekcat:
You are MORE than welcome! If you like cozy mysteries, and mysteries featuring cats, go to Cozy Mystery List | A Guide to Cozy Mystery (and Other Favorite) Books, Movies, and TV and look by theme! She has a wonderful site that does for cozy mysteries what TCS does for cats!

I'm currently reading "Moonlight and Vines," another Charles de Lint. It is short stories, all set in the fictional and rather magical town of Newford.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No, but I do know that he is working on one. The Kelledys will be in the next one, as yet untitled (I follow him on Goodreads), which will come out next year.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm still having trouble getting into the reading mode again. I'm currently reading "Salt Sugar Fat" by Michael Moss, but it's slow going and will expire before I finish. It's and interesting read, as it covers how the food industry gets consumers to buy their products.

I also read Hillary Clinton's "What Happened". I enjoyed reading about her personal life and career. Plus she included some details about the Russia interference that I didn't know. As a Canadian, though, I found some of the US political stuff dry and boring.

So what's everyone else reading?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm currently reading yet more Charles de Lint, namely, "The Little Country." I'm finding it slow going, but only because this is a book that is meant to be savored, not gulped down. It is a story within a story, and covers the magic in the ordinary. De Lint is a master of the Urban Fairy Tale, and this is de Lint at his best.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just checked my library website. They only have one e-book by Charles de Lint - The Cats of Tanglewood Forest. Have you read that one?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
R raysmyheart congrats on your Nook! I've had a Nook now for years and I've enjoyed it so much. I hope you get as much enjoyment from your Nook as I've had from mine.

Just finished reading Outlander #3 - Voyager (for oh, I don't know, the fourth time? Fifth time?) This is the current TV season on Starz, too, so I wanted to catch up on what was going on. We don't have a "spoiler" button here, so I don't want to say too much in case somebody else is either watching or is reading the series. I finished the book and immediately started reading Drums of Autumn, the fourth book. Again. :)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just checked my library website. They only have one e-book by Charles de Lint - The Cats of Tanglewood Forest. Have you read that one?
No, but it and its sequel, "Seven Wild Sisters" are on my "to read" list at Goodreads, and on my personal "to buy" list!

Right now I'm on "Jack of Kenrowan."

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I ran across a new cozy mystery series! There are only two books so far, but they are on my "MUST HAVE" list. It is the Cat Groomer Mystery series, and what could be more perfect for us! The two books out current are (in order), "The Persian Always Meows Twice" and "The Bengal Identity."

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading Y is for Yesterday by Sue Grafton. I love the whole series, and it's sad that there is only one more to go. She has said she won't write anything else after Z.

I also read Origin by Dan Brown. It was sort of hokey - a drawn out treasure hunt with a fallacious ending. Don't think I'll read any more of his if he writes them.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester , thank you for your good wishes concerning my new nook. I too am enjoying mine so much! I thought I would like it but am finding I love it! Right now I am reading Letters Of A Woman Homesteader by Elinore Rupert. It is a collection of letters from Elinore to a former employer in Denver, telling of her new life in 1914 Wyoming. I have a lot of admiration for this woman as I read her letters.
I am also beginning to read Lending A Paw, a cat crime mystery book that I heard about from Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . It is a lot of fun, and I am now intrigued by the new cat groomer mysteries thanks to Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 ! I have to restrain myself (it's not easy) to read only one or two books at a time!
I am really enjoying reading about what everyone here likes to read!:read:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm on a nutrition-reading kick. Finished "Salt Sugar Fat" by Michael Moss. Now I'm reading "Food Can Fix It" by Dr. Oz.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Me too, except that I keep getting books faster than I can read them, and I'm a fast reader! :read:
Yeah, but once you have them, they will be there. Then all you need is power. I bought a 16,750 milliamp charger/backup for $28 on Amazon. It will fully recharge my Fire HD8 four times.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Is anybody a Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child fan? Did you know that a new Pendergast novel came out in January? I didn't know that! Has anybody read it? I'm going to see if our library has it; most of the Preston/Child e-books are audiobooks only at our library's website. I'll walk over to our library tomorrow at lunch. I love the Pendergast series. I like all their other books, too, the ones they write together and the ones they write separately.

The book is called City of Endless Night. Has anybody read it yet?

City of Endless Night

Status
Not open for further replies.