All things Books and Reading thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I solved a minor mystery the other day, while searching for that "Twilight Zone" episode for @arouetta. There's a book I just love; Ingathering: The Complete People Stories, by Zenna Henderson. I don't know how many of you have read her work; there are a lot of people who say that it's "mawkish" or "too sentimental." But a lot of kids who felt like they were different from all the other children growing up have found her stories to be a refuge, and some of the great S.F. authors of today consider her work to have influenced theirs:
Science fiction authors Lois McMaster Bujold, Orson Scott Card, Connie Willis, and Kathy Tyers have cited her as an influence on their work.

From Zenna Henderson - Wikipedia
Ms. Henderson was a school teacher, and most of The People stories feature school teachers, either as the protagonist or as a primary focus of the story.

The People are aliens. Back in the 19th century on earth, The People discovered that their planet, The Home, was going to be destroyed (if I remember correctly, their sun was either dying or going to go nova) and they just had time to build space ships so they could evacuate. They had no destination in mind; the ships went in all different directions, hoping that at least some of them would find planets on which they could live. One of them made it to earth, but, possibly because it was such a rush job to build it, the ship burned on re-entry and crashed. Many of The People made it out of the ship in their individual "life slips," but they were scattered all over the southwestern U.S., some with others of The People, some alone.

The People possess certain abilities that humans consider to be in the realm of the paranormal. They can remember things that their direct ancestors experienced. They can levitate. By using solar power they can move objects with their minds. And they can communicate telepathically. Individuals may possess other, more specialized talents, like an ability to sense the location of metals, or the ability to go into someone's mind and fix the things that are wrong, or the ability to sense details about a person's body, negating the need for an X-ray machine. In the southwest, in the early 19th century, these abilities tended to be cause for fear among the humans they encountered, with the result that some were murdered horribly for being "witches." Some of The People lived their entire lives alone, making a life for themselves among the humans, but always different, always separate, because it was dangerous to let anyone know who you really were. Some of the children were found and adopted by humans, and raised as human, and never could explain their unusual abilities, perhaps even to themselves. Some of The People married humans, and discovered that their DNA and human DNA could mix, so they had children, with mixed results on how much of The People's abilities the children possessed. And some of The People found other People with whom to make a life. Many of the life slips came down near the crash site, in a remote canyon; those People founded a community in the canyon. They had good relations with their neighbors, but their community was remote, and mostly they kept to themselves.

The canyon community is always on the lookout for two things: others of The People, who may need assistance, and a good teacher. They've had bad luck with teachers; most years they have enough school age children to justify asking the state to provide them with a teacher for their one-room schoolhouse, but, given their remote location, the state has trouble finding teachers willing to go there. The result is that they've gotten a lot of extremely elderly teachers, women (in Ms. Henderson's day teachers were mostly women, especially at the elementary school level) who wanted one last year of teaching before retirement, or retired teachers who needed money and were looking for a temporary assignment. And as the children start growing up, they come into their powers. For a six-year-old who has just learned to levitate it can be quite difficult to remember to always keep your feet on the ground around the teacher. One result of this is that some teachers have had heart attacks, and are buried in the little cemetery in the canyon. Another is that some teachers have left, feeling that perhaps they've been hallucinating, so they shouldn't be around children. And a third is that several teachers have informed the state that "It was an interesting experience, but please don't ask me to go back there ever again." Not surprisingly, the state keeps hoping that this year, maybe the canyon won't have enough children to insist on a teacher. It never happens. The People are strong believers in education, so, in a pinch, some of their recent high school graduates will sign up for a refresher course to bring the numbers high enough (and to keep an eye on those six-year-olds who have so much trouble keeping their feet on the ground). It has gotten to the place that the canyon community has sent one of their young graduates off to teacher's college; having a teacher who wants to live in the canyon, and knows about The People because she's one, too, just seemed like a good idea, and one of their young women has a talent for it.

Anyway, one day I wanted to tell Roger about one of the stories that I especially enjoyed, so I started with a little background: where The People came from, their unusual abilities, the traumatic experiences many of them had in their earliest days on earth, and the fact that Ms. Henderson was a teacher and most of her stories are centered around teachers. And, to my surprise, Roger started telling me a different one of The People stories, "Pottage," which is the story of a small town named Bendo, which is probably the largest community of The People outside of the canyon. Bendo is remote from any large towns, but it doesn't have the protection of a canyon, and it was founded by People whose most recent ancestral memories were of seeing their loved ones burned alive for being "witches." The result is that in Bendo, all alien talents are suppressed, to avoid being different, because different is dangerous. Levitating and moving things with the mind are considered to be especially dangerous, so things like running and jumping are discouraged; it's too easy to get carried away when you take your feet off the ground. Even small children shuffle their feet when they walk in Bendo. However, these are still The People, so they believe in educating their children and every year they ask the state to send them a teacher, and one year their teacher is very young, freshly graduated from teacher's college, where her roommate was the young woman from the canyon. She's a human, but she knows about The People, and she's able to put two and two together when she hears the children whispering. And she knows that Bendo's rules about running and jumping are unhealthy for children, so one day she assigns the students to write an essay titled "I remember the home." And she tells them that she has full control over the classroom and schoolyard - it's part of her contract - so as long as they're at school levitating is allowed. Inevitably, of course, one day the patriarch of the community comes to the school to check up and catches a child levitating. He bellows, the child panics and falls and is seriously injured, and if you have any chance of reading this book do so to find out what happens after that. (Sorry, no spoilers.)

Well, I confirmed that this was, indeed, one of the stories from Ingathering, and asked Roger where he had encountered it, since I knew he hadn't read the book, and he said he saw it on television; he thought it had been made into a "Twilight Zone" episode. So when I was searching for that episode for @arouetta I took the opportunity to see whether I could find out the name of this episode as well. I couldn't, for the excellent reason that Roger didn't see it on "The Twilight Zone." Only one of Zenna Henderson's stories made it to that show, and it wasn't a People story. No, what Roger saw was the pilot episode of a series that had been proposed but never made it past the pilot, probably because they cast William Shatner as the patriarch of Bendo, and (I think) the entire series was to take place in Bendo so Shatner could be the star.

Anyway, excellent book, available (to the best of my knowledge) only in hard cover and published by NESFA, the New England Science Fiction Association, ISBN 0-915368-58-7. They first published it in 1995, so by now it may well be available from Thrift Books.

Margret

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ive read many of Barbara Freethy books in the early 2000s. I haven't read that one-I think I got that on my kindle fire for like $.99 if I remember correctly. I do love her older books. Daniel's Gift and Ask Mariah were ones I read years ago. She also wrote a couple of suspense ones I still have to read. I didn't get into the Callaway series-I have a hard time keeping track of all the books in the series so I tend to prefer books that stand alone.
I'm enjoying "Summer Secrets" and would definitely read something by her. I see the library has both "Daniel's Gift" and "Ask Mariah". They also have 6 of the Callaway series, but it looks like there's 12 been released, so I won't start them if I can't read them all.

I am currently reading, The Lilac Girls.. set pre WWII and during WWII.. I really like historical fiction.. for some reason, I have been reading a lot of things about WWII and the middle ages...
I like historical fiction too. And I have "The Lilac Girls" e-book on hold at the library. I'm #60 on 6 books, so it will be a bit of a wait.

I've actually been rereading the Warrior Cats series by Erin Hunter.
I never hear of the series before. I Googled and see they're children's books. I might check them out, seeing that there's cats involved and all. LOL. Which one should I start with?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama I am warning you to be prepared when you begin reading The Lilac Girls. It is so compelling and horrible at the same time. I actually have to stop, in the middle of a chapter to collect my thoughts, go on line, watch a bit of tv, before I can go back to it.. But is addicting.. I cannot wait to read more. I think I am going to finish it this week-end; probably by Sunday night. I am wishing for a happy ending.. but I know that cannot be.. I can only hope for a "satisfactory' ending...

The author does put in a bit of lightness to counteract all the blackness...

I am about to pick it up soon, now that Artie's litter box, bathroom, and Litter Genie are clean, and spotless....until he wakes up.. man, that takes a lot out of me.. so out of shape.
Asthma is a bit unsettled today also..
Harvey is arriving tomorrow.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just put "The Lilac Girls" on my "to read" list at Goodreads. Thanks for the heads-up!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, given the necessary information I managed to find "The People," with William Shatner on YouTube. At least three people have uploaded it; the complete version with the best video seems to be this one:
I'm just inserting the link since this isn't really the place for a movie length video.

I just finished watching it, and have a few comments/corrections:
  • I was mistaken; Shatner plays Dr. Curtis, who is a human doctor, and, yes, Dr. Curtis appeared in several of the stories once he found out about The People, and this story was the one that introduced him to The People.
  • Shatner actually did a pretty good job of resisting his impulse to overact. I was impressed.
  • They stuffed several people into the Bendo community who were inhabitants of the canyon in the book. Apparently the proposed series would have done away with that community entirely.
  • They also essentially did away with some potential story lines by inserting people into the movie before their stories had occurred, the Francher kid, for instance. The credits say that the movie is based on Zenna Henderson's "novel," and I would guess that that's the way the writers saw it, as a novel rather than a group of short stories and novellas.
It's too bad. It could have been a decent television series, lasted for a year or two before they ran out of the original stories to draw on, but their "pilot" treated it as a one-time event and ruined that possibility.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And that'll cure me of thinking that you can just insert a link to a YouTube video on this site! :updown: :lol:

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am doing a copy and paste here from the "What's On Your Mind" thread.

"As long as we're looking for obscure science fiction references, here's one that has been driving me crazy for years now. At some point, and I mean DECADES ago, I read a science fiction book. At some point, two people were discussing that there were no more presidential elections. It seems people had figured out that any one person was as likely to do a decent job as the next person, and that any one who was crazy enough to actually want the job probably shouldn't have it. SO...there was a lottery every four years. If you had been diagnosed with a severe mental illness, you were excused, but everyone else's name went in, and who ever LOST, HAD to be president. And it worked quite well. I think that the conversation about it took place in a small submarine. Any ideas? I recall that I enjoyed the entire book quite well and would like to find a copy of it somewhere."

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama I am warning you to be prepared when you begin reading The Lilac Girls. It is so compelling and horrible at the same time. I actually have to stop, in the middle of a chapter to collect my thoughts, go on line, watch a bit of tv, before I can go back to it.. But is addicting.. I cannot wait to read more. I think I am going to finish it this week-end; probably by Sunday night. I am wishing for a happy ending.. but I know that cannot be.. I can only hope for a "satisfactory' ending...
Thanks for the warning. I know it will be horrible, but hopefully not so bad that I won't be able to keep reading.

Have you read "The Nightingale"? It also takes place during WWII and is a fictional 2 sisters in France, which I didn't realize was so affected by the war.

I had to look it up to remember.. its called Into the Wild. Have fun, LOL
Thanks. I've just put the e-book on hold at the library. Only one hold, and it's me. LOL. I'll try to remember to post my review after I read it.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama No, I do not think I read "The Nightingale".. thanks for the info...

Have you read, "Sarah's Key".... another one--in France... I recommended it to my hairdresser, years ago, and she is still recommending it.. it made that much of an impact on us..It begins on the night in Paris, when all the Jews were rounded up, placed in the Rollerdome, before being shipped out to camps... and it goes on from there to present day...

With "The Lilac Girls", sometimes I feel as if I have to stop reading it completely, yet I continue.. The author has done an excellent job with her characters.. but they are not just characters, they are REAL people.. there are pictures of them in the book.. unbelievable ..

The Polish woman in this book, Basia, was Catholic, not Jewish.. something that people forget. Poles were rounded up, just because they were Poles. The Jews did have the worst, but Catholics were subjected to the Nazi's rage also.

I always knew about this because I am of Polish heritage.
My great-grandparents immigrated from Poland.

During WWII, my dad was in the US Army Medic Corp, near the Czech border. I did ask him once if he saw any survivors. He was still disturbed at the memories of them. My dad put his head down, shook it and said...'Yes, We had to feed them, take care of them. They were walking on the roads"... My dad refused to discuss it further.. I asked him about 7 years ago. It was that fresh in his minds..

This book has really moved me.. I cannot stop thinking about it.. not light reading at all.

My last book was, "The Taming of the Queen", By Philippa Gregory.. The queen was
Henry the VIII's last wife, who was a very foreward thinking woman and even published a book, anonymously... true.. I did have to research her on Wikipedia.

Artie does not care for me reading. It means my attention is not complete on him. He also hates to share my lap with a book...

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jews, gypsies, Catholics, blacks, Hispanics, speakers of Esperanto (!), people who married anyone on his list of dangerous races (i.e. "race traitors"), and I'm quite certain that I haven't covered the whole list.

I think that many of the American soldiers who fought in WWII were unwilling to talk about it afterward. All I could get out of my dad was a description of how he got demoted for disobeying an order because it would have been dangerous for other G.I.s and, in his opinion, dereliction of duty on his part. He was rather proud of that...

Margret

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama No, I do not think I read "The Nightingale".. thanks for the info...

Have you read, "Sarah's Key".... another one--in France... I recommended it to my hairdresser, years ago, and she is still recommending it.. it made that much of an impact on us..It begins on the night in Paris, when all the Jews were rounded up, placed in the Rollerdome, before being shipped out to camps... and it goes on from there to present day...
Just searched for "Sarah's Key" but unfortunately my library does not have the e-book.

But for some reason the search brought up 3 other books, and one of them is "The Last Telegram" by Liz Trenow which takes place in England during the war. So it's one you might want to check out.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
After I finish this book, I think I need something light. I am going to do a re-read of one of my favorites. The FB group is having a real time reading, beginning Sept 19th. I have never done this, so I may try it. If it is too confining, I may just do my own thing with the trilogy. It is on my Kindle.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm still crawling around in The Black Cat Bookshop mysteries, and having a wonderful time. Of course, the fact that Hamlet may just be a littermate of Hekitty's doesn't hurt a bit. OH, and my copy of "Night Shift" by Charlaine Harris JUST came in the mail, so guess what I'll be reading next? I LOVE THAT SERIES (Midnight, Texas). In fact, I'm so taken with it that I've carefully examined the map of Midnight on the inside covers and chosen my very own house!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm reading an old Mary Stewart book, "The Gabriel Hounds." Of course, I've read it before, but it's been decades, so this is almost like a new read to me. I remember that her books were always shelved with the romances, but if she were writing today, many of them would be considered more "cozy mysteries."

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading an old Mary Stewart book, "The Gabriel Hounds." Of course, I've read it before, but it's been decades, so this is almost like a new read to me. I remember that her books were always shelved with the romances, but if she were writing today, many of them would be considered more "cozy mysteries."
I've noticed a good deal of genre overlap. Cozy mysteries frequently involve romance nowadays (some of it verging on soft porn), and a lot of them have fantasy and/or science fiction elements. There's a whole branch of romance books that involve the supernatural, whether ghosts or werewolves or demons or angels or all of the above. And another branch of time travel romance, generally (it seems) set in Scotland; I've no idea why. Also, I'm pretty sure that no one ever talked about "cozy mysteries" before the time of Agatha Christie. I wouldn't go so far as to say that she invented the genre, but Tommy-and-Tuppence and Miss Marple came darned close.

Some of the overlap is new, in particular the feeling that some of the younger authors seem to have that it will only sell if there's a romance, or at least some steamy sex, but some of it has always existed.
* * * * *​
I'm currently in the middle of Saint Camber. I, also, had read it before, but it's been a very long time. I didn't remember the central ruse from this book, which is a really essential plot point for the entire series. (Not saying it outright to avoid spoilers for people who haven't yet read Katherine Kurtz's excellent Deryni series.)

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The other day, I read "A Cat on a Bus" by Lydia Adamson. I have to say, I was fairly unimpressed. Actually, the mystery portion of our program was well done. But I couldn't identify with Alice Nestleton at all, and this book, which is supposed to be catnip for cat lovers, mentioned cats 5 or 6 times IN THE WHOLE BOOK! The cat that was on the bus was mentioned twice, when it appeared and was turned over to the police, and once more when Alice went to the shelter to try to communicate (I think) with the cat. One page, shoved the cat back in its cage, left, and we never heard another word about that cat! WHAT HAPPENED TO IT? Alice owns two cats, and Ms. Adamson gave rather lackadaisical descriptions of the cats and their "unique" behaviors, that took up all of 2.5 pages.

As I said, the mystery part was ok, and I didn't have to buy the book, but I think I'm going to give the other 21 books in this series a miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.