All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So far, the first chapter covers the early yeats of his career. If I am in there, it will be a reference to State inventory. It is just neat learning stuff about Dr. Maples thatI never knew. He has a MA as well as his PhD. He never talked down to me, even though a lot of departments hated Property Division.
I finished the book. If you are squeamish, this on is not for you. I wasn't mentioned as such, just in the category of people who had business there.

One of the cases is the Gainesville student murders in 1990. The killer, Danny Rolling, hid out in a barn owned by UF that was 100 yards from my place, that I walked by on my way to work.

The 34th St. wall still has the names on it. They are kept fresh so people won't forget.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah: Plus, you can get a lot of books for free if you sign up for newsletters. New releases are also cheaper in e-book form. I find an e-reader terrific for vacation/traveling/waiting rooms/hospital stays, since you can take along an entire library.
And with a 128GB SDHC card, you can have 50 full length movies and enough music to last for days without repeting. All in the same device the size of a paperback.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I got one of the "scariest books you wish you hadn't read" posted by BookBub last week. Well, I actually got five
of them, ha!, but I'm going to read Baby Teeth by Zoje Stage first. I also downloaded it on my tablet as well.

Synopsis
Meet Hanna.
She’s the sweet-but-silent angel in the adoring eyes of her Daddy. He’s the only person who understands her, and all Hanna wants is to live happily ever after with him. But Mommy stands in her way, and she’ll try any trick she can think of to get rid of her. Ideally for good.

Meet Suzette.

She loves her daughter, really, but after years of expulsions and strained home schooling, her precarious health and sanity are weakening day by day. As Hanna’s tricks become increasingly sophisticated, and Suzette's husband remains blind to the failing family dynamics, Suzette starts to fear that there’s something seriously wrong, and that maybe home isn’t the best place for their baby girl after all.

1572601281541.png

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
That looks good, going to order it with my library on Monday.
I didn't have to wait for four of them, only the two that are coming from other libraries.
When Sherry picked them up from he drive up window at the library, the woman waiting on
her said she had just read it and I must read it all the way to the end and i will be astonished!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I finished the book. If you are squeamish, this on is not for you. I wasn't mentioned as such, just in the category of people who had business there.

One of the cases is the Gainesville student murders in 1990. The killer, Danny Rolling, hid out in a barn owned by UF that was 100 yards from my place, that I walked by on my way to work.

The 34th St. wall still has the names on it. They are kept fresh so people won't forget.
That book looks really good, so I've added it to my wish list.

I recall the Gainesville case - it was horrible. One of the worst parts was that one victim's brother also lost his wife to homicide several years later. How much can one person bear?
Living With a Grief That Will Never Die, After the Murders of 2 Loved Ones

I finished the first Kiki Lowenstein bundle and have splurged on the second.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finally finished the Library Lover series. I'm going to miss those recipes! Now I'm reading "Canapes for the Kitties," by Marian Babson, an English writer. There are only two books in this series, the one I'm reading and "Please Do Feed the Cat." She's a prolific writer, though, and most of her series revolve around cats. If this one pans out, I'll branch out into her other books, as well! So far, so good. I love the cats, Had-I and But-Known, a pair of rambunctious Siamese. And her neighbor's rather tubby cat, Roscoe, who has a habit of getting stuck in Had-I's and But-Known's cat door. Ms. Babson does a remarkable job of reproducing the yowl of a ticked-off cat on paper!

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I am re-reading Watch Me Disappear, the November book of the month, skimming is more like it.
Just finished The Good Neighbor by Cathryn Grant.
I've never read a book with such a twisted set of parents

Went back to Book 2 of the Nathaniel Caslin series, one of the Yorkshire Dark Mysteries, and Book 3
I've also downloaded.

I may start Baby Teeth, one of the scary ones.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just finished Marian Babson's "Canapes for Kitties" and "Please Do Feed the Cats." I'm only sorry that this was a two-book "series!" I loved them. However, Ms. Babson is a prolific writer, and MOST of her series (if not all) feature cats, so I'll be doing some exploring in other series by her very soon!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I'm catching up with the thread and came back with a suggestion.
1573466237764.png

Can't Help Myself

I didn't know Meredith Goldstein and her column prior to this. I liked it so much more than I thought I would. THere are some Q&As with her readers as well but the parts about her life in between are even better and really emotional in a "makes you both laugh and cry" way.

Also if we can't do a "Nah, don't read", Waiting for Tom Hanks by Kerry Winfrey became my biggest book disappointment of the year. Has all the coziest movie references but a horrible, annoying plot and main character. No no no no.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I'm catching up with the thread and came back with a suggestion.
View attachment 307345

Can't Help Myself

I didn't know Meredith Goldstein and her column prior to this. I liked it so much more than I thought I would. THere are some Q&As with her readers as well but the parts about her life in between are even better and really emotional in a "makes you both laugh and cry" way.

Also if we can't do a "Nah, don't read", Waiting for Tom Hanks by Kerry Winfrey became my biggest book disappointment of the year. Has all the coziest movie references but a horrible, annoying plot and main character. No no no no.
Thank you. I'll take your word for it. I like my fiction with a lovable albeit flawed protagonist.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
What's everyone reading? I was going to begin The Mountain Between Us, December's book of the month, but am
holding off. I have Stone Cold on my tablet by Robert Palmer which is a re-read x 3, maybe more, and others down-
loaded. I watched the movie on TV, starring Tom Sellers, then read the book. Kind of reminds me of people who are
folie a deux, like The Kan and Barbie killers, Karla Homolka and Paul Bernardo but not as depraved. I have about 5
hard-copy books from the library.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have just finished the best book I have read for a long time. Paths of Glory by Jeffrey Archer. It is the inspired by the true story of George Mallory and his obsession to be the first man to reach the summit of Everest.
Sounds interesting. Unfortunately, just checked and my library doesn't have it in e-book version. Oh well, lots of other books on my wishlist.

Speaking of my wishlist, I've just finished our Book Of The Month Club - November 2019, and one of the books on my wishlist that I had on hold just became available.

It's The Wake the true story about the destruction caused when a tsunami hit the coast of the Canadian province of Newfoundland in November 1929.
1573824117861.png

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I finished the second bundle (books 7-13) of the Kiki Lowenstein series, but didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the first, because the books were just too far-fetched.

Right now I'm back to true crime - currently Handsome Brute: The Story of a Ladykiller by Sean O'Connor, which is a very interesting depiction of life in Britain during and immediately following WWII and of an infamous murderer at that time, Neville Heath.

Status
Not open for further replies.