All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
only, ha!! Do you have an entire room devoted to books?
Kinda-sorta. I have an office/guest room/library. There's a day bed, my main computer desk, and my library desk (where I do repairs and such), but the only long, blank wall has 5 large bookcases on it. Then there are three bookcases in my bedroom, and another 5 in my living room, and I need more! Or I will need more...Not every bookcase is totally full yet, but I can see that day coming!

Currently, I'm reading "Rest in Pieces," the second of the Mrs. Murphy books by Rita Mae Brown.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, very much so. His role seems to have expanded from book to book.
I'd like to read some of those. Wonder where I left off........

Finally finished Hide and Seek. It was so thrilling. Again, my guess as to the identity of the killer was soo wrong. Now on to Love me Not. It was supposed to be the last in the DI Helen Grace series but he wrote another and I managed to reserve it from the SearchOhio library loan system. It will be here probably by Tuesday or Wednesday.

How are your books?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My "How Not To Die" book expired, so I've renewed it and am back on the wait list. So while I wait for it to become available again, I'm back to fiction.

Currently reading:
Summer of '69 by Elin Hilderbrand

I have an office/guest room/library. There's a day bed, my main computer desk, and my library desk (where I do repairs and such), but the only long, blank wall has 5 large bookcases on it. Then there are three bookcases in my bedroom, and another 5 in my living room, and I need more! Or I will need more...Not every bookcase is totally full yet, but I can see that day coming!
How are your book organized? By author? Subject?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A bit of both, as much as available space allows. I have 2.5 cases for paranormal/horror/fantasy fiction, half of one bookcase for general cozy mysteries, one bookcase for culinary cozies, one for paranormal cozies, 2 full cases for cat-themed cozies, one case for women's fiction (Dianna Gabaldon, Phillipa Gregory, Anne Rivers Siddons, etc), one case for general fiction, one for non-fiction, one for true ghost stories and magic/witchcraft, and one that really holds my DVDs, but also gets any overflow. Within those cases, all the authors are arranged more or less alphabetically, although when one author doesn't take up a full shelf, I'm not above "filling in," to get the most use out of the space. I really need to win a PCH lottery and buy a house with one large room that could be converted into a real library. Maybe the living room, if there is a small den. I figure I should have housing for 3000-5000 volumes...Right now, I'm at about 1500. The shelves aren't full yet, I only have 850, but the time is coming!

I'm reading "Murder at Monticello," book #3 of the Mrs. Murphy series, then I'll take a short break for my Georgette Heyer reading group's monthly read, "The Unknown Ajax," then back to Mrs. Murphy!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I just started Unwanted Guest by Shari Lapini. It's a murder mystery that takes place at a luxury B&B in the Catskill Mountains during a blizzard. The hotel has lost power and a dead body has been found. I'm suspecting everyone at this point in time.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What are culinary cozies? Cookbooks?
Let me see if I can explain. They are fairly short homey mysteries that feature a bakery as the main setting. Pretty poor description, I know.
Cozy is short for "cozy mystery." There is a murder, but there is not a lot of lingering on gore, very little, if any, cursing, and no overt sex. A love scene in a cozy mystery would consist of something like, "And then they quit talking." They are, in general, very witty books as well. SO...a culinary cozy would be a mystery that centers around food. Bakeries, caterers, food growers, foreign foods...about anything you can imagine. MANY of them include recipes, and there are several actual cookbooks based on the available.

Currently, I'm taking a short break from my Mrs. Murphy (a cat themed cozy series, with the very occasional "F-bomb") to read "The Unknown Ajax" for my Georgette Heyer reading group on Goodreads. I adore Georgette Heyer. She wrote mostly Regency romances, as well as a few set just before the Regency period and the occasional mystery.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cozy is short for "cozy mystery." There is a murder, but there is not a lot of lingering on gore, very little, if any, cursing, and no overt sex. A love scene in a cozy mystery would consist of something like, "And then they quit talking." They are, in general, very witty books as well. SO...a culinary cozy would be a mystery that centers around food. Bakeries, caterers, food growers, foreign foods...about anything you can imagine. MANY of them include recipes, and there are several actual cookbooks based on the available.

Currently, I'm taking a short break from my Mrs. Murphy (a cat themed cozy series, with the very occasional "F-bomb") to read "The Unknown Ajax" for my Georgette Heyer reading group on Goodreads. I adore Georgette Heyer. She wrote mostly Regency romances, as well as a few set just before the Regency period and the occasional mystery.
Well put. I knew someone would correct or expand my description. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.