All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
This a shout out. One of you was reading a book about a man and woman caught in a snow storm or something similar and a movie was being made from the book? What is the title, please? Thanks!

EDIT: The title is The Mountain Between Us by Charles Martin.
I found it by scrolling backwards. It is now downloaded to my Kindle and I am also getting the hard copy from another library. :clap: Thanks rubysmama rubysmama

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I LOVE Lord of the Rings!
i got the ebook that is the 50th anniversary edition.

Edit: Just started the chapter The Muster of Rohan. It has one of my favorite poems in the series. "From dark Dunharrow in the dim morning with thain and captain rode Thengel's son...Darkness took them, horse and horseman; hoofbeats afar sank into silence: so the songs tell us."

Last edited:

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
How are you guys doing with your reading? I'm still on Hide and Seek. My Helen (DI Helen Grace), was set up by her nephew and is in Holloway Prison! She is trying to solve a murder that occurred there and she'd be wise to stay out out of it. She just got beaten up.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finally finished the Tea Shop Mystery series! Whew! Look, there was a real formula going on with that series. Theodosia (and sometimes her staff) would be catering or attending some gala event in Charleston, and some fairly prominent person would be murdered. Theodosia would investigate, chasing down false leads aplenty, and the real killer would turn up at the very end, generally threatening Theodosia's life in the bargain.

Now, THAT SAID, although the journeys all started and ended in pretty much the same place, the routes varied fairly wildly each time, and since the journey IS the destination, in my mind, I enjoyed the scenery along the way tremendously. Add to that a host of delicious recipes, lots of information on different teas and how to brew them, ideas for tea parties, and an index of sources for all things tea at the end, I am more than happy that I spent the time to read them. There are three more in the series, but I'll have to wait until I can find them used.

Following that, I gulped down "Sleep Like a Baby," the last of the Aurora Teagarden books by Charlaine Harris. I'm a huge Harris fan, and was more than happy to have this series come to an end in a way that left all of my "friends" in very good places, indeed.

Once I get off of here, I'll start "Madam, Will You Talk," by Mary Stewart. This is a re-read, but it's been years, so I'm looking forward to rediscovering it.

That will probably carry me through until tomorrow sometime, when I'll dive head first into the Mrs. Murphy books by Rita Mae and Sneaky Pie (what a wonderful name for a cat!) Brown. I've read a few of them, out of order, over the years, but I have the entire series now, so I'm going to do it all the way through!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I finally finished the Tea Shop Mystery series! Whew! Look, there was a real formula going on with that series. Theodosia (and sometimes her staff) would be catering or attending some gala event in Charleston, and some fairly prominent person would be murdered. Theodosia would investigate, chasing down false leads aplenty, and the real killer would turn up at the very end, generally threatening Theodosia's life in the bargain.

Now, THAT SAID, although the journeys all started and ended in pretty much the same place, the routes varied fairly wildly each time, and since the journey IS the destination, in my mind, I enjoyed the scenery along the way tremendously. Add to that a host of delicious recipes, lots of information on different teas and how to brew them, ideas for tea parties, and an index of sources for all things tea at the end, I am more than happy that I spent the time to read them. There are three more in the series, but I'll have to wait until I can find them used.

Following that, I gulped down "Sleep Like a Baby," the last of the Aurora Teagarden books by Charlaine Harris. I'm a huge Harris fan, and was more than happy to have this series come to an end in a way that left all of my "friends" in very good places, indeed.

Once I get off of here, I'll start "Madam, Will You Talk," by Mary Stewart. This is a re-read, but it's been years, so I'm looking forward to rediscovering it.

That will probably carry me through until tomorrow sometime, when I'll dive head first into the Mrs. Murphy books by Rita Mae and Sneaky Pie (what a wonderful name for a cat!) Brown. I've read a few of them, out of order, over the years, but I have the entire series now, so I'm going to do it all the way through!
I always liked the Mrs. Murphy books. I love her attitude.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I just finished The Bees by Laline Paull. I found it very creative. It’s set in a beehive, and the main character is Flora 717, a member of the lowest order in the hive. I would categorize it as a dystopian novel and there are echoes of Orwell’s 1984 and Animal Farm as well as Huxley’s Brave New World. But if you don’t want to take any deeper meanings from it, you could simply enjoy it as an imaginative story where the heroine triumphs with the help of her friends! :)

Last edited:

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Still on Hide&Seek. Helen is still in Holloway Prison, holding her own, while one of her work colleagues on the outside, DS Charlie Brooks, finally obtained evidence that Helen was framed. Still finding it strange that the police in the UK don't carry guns. She is still trying do solve the murder that occurred in Holloway, Leah, who was in the cell next to Helen, was murdered sometime during the night.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm about halfway through "Wish You Were Here," the first of the Mrs. Murphy books. It's a re-read, but from awhile back. Really enjoying it.

AND...I just entered my 2000th book on my AllMyBooks software! Now, that's both my owned and my wishlist books, but I'm getting things organized! Once ALL of the books are entered, I need to go bookshelf by bookshelf and check to make sure I have the right format listed. It's a work in progress.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm about halfway through "Wish You Were Here," the first of the Mrs. Murphy books. It's a re-read, but from awhile back. Really enjoying it.

AND...I just entered my 2000th book on my AllMyBooks software! Now, that's both my owned and my wishlist books, but I'm getting things organized! Once ALL of the books are entered, I need to go bookshelf by bookshelf and check to make sure I have the right format listed. It's a work in progress.
Wowza!! You have a library!!:yess:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was given a DVD with over 10,000 science fiction, mystery and spy ebooks on it. I don't count them, but still have 500-600 on my Fire. I tend to buy the series sets of science fiction, usually for 99cents for 4-13 books. I have at least 250 unread.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I was given a DVD with over 10,000 science fiction, mystery and spy ebooks on it. I don't count them, but still have 500-600 on my Fire. I tend to buy the series sets of science fiction, usually for 99cents for 4-13 books. I have at least 250 unread.
Wowza, 10,000 will keep you busy. Nice gift.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It was given to me many years ago. I have read some authors, but the Kindle uses MOBI and the books are EPUB. That means I have to convert them. Out comes Calibre, a few keystrokes and I have more books on my Fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.