Advice with my kitty .... newbie here; waiting for babies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've read that additional kitten food can be helpful for Mama :)
Been feeding her kitten food as and when she will eat it :) does mum get any benefit from the replacement milk for the kittens? I read somewhere to give it to mum

Silentstar03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you can get your hands on some goats milk, it is one of the best thing you can give her to increase her milk supply. She needs lots of extra calcium in her diet. Also, start feeding mama kitten food as well if you haven't already.

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you can get your hands on some goats milk, it is one of the best thing you can give her to increase her milk supply. She needs lots of extra calcium in her diet. Also, start feeding mama kitten food as well if you haven't already.
Mamma is on kitten food :) will try source some goats milk

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The formula is great for mom and will supply much needed extra calcium. :)
Brilliant I will give her some tonight do you think I should leave and watch the kittens weight at the moment or try supplement the little one?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since you say the tiny one is suckling well, see where its weight is 12 hours from the first time you weighed it.

Also, if you do supplement, you may need a tiny 1 or 2 mL syringe (needleless). Most tiny kittens will not take a bottle when they have a mom.

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since you say the tiny one is suckling well, see where its weight is 12 hours from the first time you weighed it.

Also, if you do supplement, you may need a tiny 1 or 2 mL syringe (needleless). Most tiny kittens will not take a bottle when they have a mom.
Thankyou i shall see what the weight is tomorrow

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for all the questions. Goats milk it's just the normal one from the supermarket?

Silentstar03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Brilliant I will give her some tonight do you think I should leave and watch the kittens weight at the moment or try supplement the little one?
It never hurts to supplement as long as it is able to latch properly. I agree with the weighing thing though. As long as it is gaining the proper amount every day, supplementing may not be necessary. Once the kittens get a little older, it also helps seperate mama and baby a few times a day for some independent nursing sessions to make sure it is getting enough since it is the runt. I say a little older, because mama may freak out taking her from her kittens right now. If mama is producing enough milk, it should be fine being that there are only 4 kittens.

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It never hurts to supplement as long as it is able to latch properly. I agree with the weighing thing though. As long as it is gaining the proper amount every day, supplementing may not be necessary. Once the kittens get a little older, it also helps seperate mama and baby a few times a day for some independent nursing sessions to make sure it is getting enough since it is the runt. I say a little older, because mama may freak out taking her from her kittens right now. If mama is producing enough milk, it should be fine being that there are only 4 kittens.
Thankyou so much how much should they gain in a day?

Silentstar03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for all the questions. Goats milk it's just the normal one from the supermarket?
You would want to use raw goats milk straight from the goat if possible. I have neighbors that raise goats and they were very gracious enough to donate some to me. Just make sure you are not giving cow's milk. Also, you would typically want very young kittens to gain about 14 grams per day. They should also double their birth weight by a week old.

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You would want to use raw goats milk straight from the goat if possible. I have neighbors that raise goats and they were very gracious enough to donate some to me. Just make sure you are not giving cow's milk. Also, you would typically want very young kittens to gain about 14 grams per day. They should also double their birth weight by a week old.
Thankyou the only thing I can really find is the shop bought goats milk :(

Silentstar03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou the only thing I can really find is the shop bought goats milk :(
If you can't find goats milk than kitten formula will work just fine along with a high quality kitten food. Make sure that she has food available to her at all times. I usually place the food and water bowls right outside of the nesting box to encourage eating and drinking as they may not want to leave their kittens.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Full fat pasteurized goat’s milk is fine; formula is fine too.

Kittens need to gain 6-10 grams minimum per day. More is better!

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can someone just clarify something for me .. a few places says that kittens can loose weight in the first 24 hours and then should start to gain? How true is this

Silentstar03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can someone just clarify something for me .. a few places says that kittens can loose weight in the first 24 hours and then should start to gain? How true is this
Yes this is true, just like a newborn baby. After babies are born they begin to urinate and defecate which can cause them to lose weight. Same goes with newborn kittens.

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, sometimes. Who is losing weight and how much?
Just weighed them....

73g is now 75g

49g is now 48g

70g is now 64g

75g is now 70g

.... so worried right now

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do they appear to be latched and suckling?

I think you should try supplementing them. Use a needleless syringe, tummy down, head up. Wrap in a towel like a burrito. Drop by drop in the side of the mouth. Allow time to swallow and breathe between drops. Try to get 1-2 mLs into each kitten every 2 hours for now. Once they get the hang of it they will start to suckle the syringe themselves.

Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Hopefully they just need boosting and will get strong enough soon to get more from mom.