Advice with my kitty .... newbie here; waiting for babies

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s fine. Cats can go hours and even days between kittens. It likely won’t be that long though. She’s probably resting up a bit. Is the kitten nursing yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s fine. Cats can go hours and even days between kittens. It likely won’t be that long though. She’s probably resting up a bit. Is the kitten nursing yet?
Kitten has latched and has eaten :) it's now curled up asleep and mamma is cleaning herself

Jaderayner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Congrats!

What were the signs before your cats labour started? I'm struggling with my cat whos heavily pregnant even tho vets claimed to have spayed her last August 🤬

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats become restless, some eat less, some get diarrhea, and almost all get a swollen vulva and discharge. Sometimes you can see the contractions, which look like waves on their sides. :)

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update.. willow was rushed into c section she had another 3 babies ... so litter of 7 ... but 5 living.. one baby is weaker than the rest I pick her up later today, thankyou for all your support she has also been spade xx

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear she was struggling. She had a big litter for a first-time mom. How is she doing today? Is she able to nurse? Did they send her home with pain meds? I hope all 5 babies do well, especially the runt.

I was concerned last night when I did not hear further from you. Please keep us posted.

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear she was struggling. She had a big litter for a first-time mom. How is she doing today? Is she able to nurse? Did they send her home with pain meds? I hope all 5 babies do well, especially the runt.

I was concerned last night when I did not hear further from you. Please keep us posted.
She is still in the vets at the moment recovering I get to go collect her today after 4pm, so will know a lot more then. x

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vets phoned, I can go collect mum and babies now however the little weak kitten didnt survive :( so mummy will be bringing home 4 out of her 7 babies .. heartbroken

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, how sweet! ❤

As long as all are nursing well they should thrive. How is mama? Pain meds?

You’ll want to put a heating pad set on low under the blanket, with space for kittens to move away if they get too warm, especially as this breed has no fur. Kittens cannot regulate their own body temperature the first 3 critical weeks.

Silentstar03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you were able to get her into a vet, especially with all that is going on right now. My cat gave birth 3 weeks ago. She had a difficult labor as well. The first kitten spent 3 hours in the birth canal after the water had broken which ultimately ended in being stillborn. It's always so heartbreaking to lose a kitten. Glad to see mama and her 4 kittens are doing well. Kudos to you for getting her the help she needed. Be sure to keep us updated!

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, how sweet! ❤

As long as all are nursing well they should thrive. How is mama? Pain meds?

You’ll want to put a heating pad set on low under the blanket, with space for kittens to move away if they get too warm, especially as this breed has no fur. Kittens cannot regulate their own body temperature the first 3 critical weeks.
Mamma is doing great she has pain relief to be given daily and shes feeding them well I have done there weights and they are really small :(

73g
49g
70g
75g

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you were able to get her into a vet, especially with all that is going on right now. My cat gave birth 3 weeks ago. She had a difficult labor as well. The first kitten spent 3 hours in the birth canal after the water had broken which ultimately ended in being stillborn. It's always so heartbreaking to lose a kitten. Glad to see mama and her 4 kittens are doing well. Kudos to you for getting her the help she needed. Be sure to keep us updated!
Aww poor girly it's so scary isnt it!! I'm so glad shes managed to have some of her babies but I'm worried about them because of there size xx

Jaderayner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear mumma is ok 😊 are the kittens small because she had a large litter? What is the average size of newborn kittens? X

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! They are all premature by birth weight. Anything under 90 grams is worrisome.

You need to weigh them twice a day. How is the 49-gram baby? Is it able to latch and suckle?

Are you prepared with formula and syringes if you need to supplement?

Tinkz89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my! They are all premature by birth weight. Anything under 90 grams is worrisome.

You need to weigh them twice a day. How is the 49-gram baby? Is it able to latch and suckle?

Are you prepared with formula and syringes if you need to supplement?
They are doing okay so far, all suckling and very active.
The little 49g is feeding well from mum I keep regularly checking on them and make sure he / she is latched ... I have bottles and replacement milk.
Is there anything else I can give to mumma to make her milk better for them xx