Advice on very troubled adopted cats behavior (Aggression)

hemagx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

Approx 2 months ago i adopted 2 cats, they used to live together a senior of the age of 7 years, and youngster of the age 1.5 years, to start I apologize if this is going to be a long post, but i will need to explain many details to get everything in context.

Those two cats had an owner whom died approx 1.5 month before i adopt them, the cat had to stay around 1.5 months without any proper care with only the landlord every few days giving them dry food and changing as no one wanted to adopt older cats in my area, i finally took them in, they were obviously stressed, fearful and threatened of both experience being along for such long time, their owner gone and so on.

They were doing relatively okay together, with occasional arguments (at best few pews fight nothing harmful), i decided then to just let them try to settle it down together as they're probably stressed of the whole experience still, it calmed down a lot in a month, half a month later i had to take the senior cat to the vet for a full shave, he is long haired and had tons of feces stuck in his tail and body (the vet at first ruled it as it's not as dangerous yet and that It's fine if i take my time until he trusts me enough to get him peacefully to his carrier), done that went back with him and the younger cat suddenly became so threatened of him at first i ruled it as okay as it's normal since he probably picked many scents from the vet, unfortunately i was not right and the younger one kept attacking him all day so badly, it was so bad that i could not even sleep, by the next morning i decided the best course is to separate them and try to do a cat introduction course, it went fine for around 3 days and then i tried to give them a little bit of free access to each other, same extreme aggression happened again, increased lock down period again, retrain in approx 3 more days, same and issue still persists to make it worse the youngster now is so fearful of me, would growl when I'm around and won't let me play/pet with him or even feel okay around me in the room, lately he even started peeing himself whenever i get close to him.

Now a week into the lock down i decided it might be best course if i put him back into adoption, as i noticed how the older cat progress a lot after being separated, for once he let me hold him and even shoulder carry him around while doing chorus which never happened before. Sadly no adopter want to take him so far. and I'm stuck here not knowing what to do, today i tried to re-introduce them again but just letting the doors open, the youngster came out moved around and just sat on a chair and hissed to the other cat, the older boy was very terrified and for the first time attacked me when i tried to comfort him even got bit.

So I don't know what to do now, no shelter wanted to take him, i could not find an adopter, i know he is very scared, terrified but also extremely aggressive to the other cat now so i'm in a really bad spot, any suggestions of things i can do to improve the situation?

Also i apologize for how long this post is! but i felt like i need to give a whole context cause of how complex their situation is.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the problem happened because with him having feces matted in his fur for an extended period, the younger cat got used to that being his smell. So it wasn't that he picked up new smells at the vet, which is a temporary thing generally easily fixed. It was that in being clean, he smelled different, and there is no way to fix the scent issue because your not going to rescent him with feces. So I think it was always going to take a reintroduction process, and maybe three days was just not enough. I'd do the whole process now, separate for a few days, then put a gate so they can see each other but not fight till they don't seem stressed at all by the sight of the other cat. Could take a week or more.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Sorry for the situation that's brought you here, but thank you for giving these 2 cats a home. It sounds like they went through a stressful time with their original human dying, being left mostly alone for 1.5 months, then moving to a new home with you.

I wouldn't have thought of this, but A ArtNJ might be onto something, that the younger cat no longer recognizes his friend's scent, now that he's all spiffy clean. He also probably looks different, since he had a "full shave".

About the different scent, you could try dabbing a drop of pure vanilla extract on each of them.
Ode to vanilla extract | TheCatSite

Otherwise, doing a longer re-introduction will probably be the only way to get them friends again. You probably know the general steps to follow, however, I'll post the link to the TCS article How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles in case you want to read it.

Good luck. Keep us posted on their progress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hemagx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks a lot, i will try the vanilla extract trick! and i try to have them watching each other from a safe distance, i also got a mesh door on the room he is locked at so they can see each without being able to physically interact!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you do let them eventually interact, hissing and growling isn't such a huge deal, cats can often work through that if its all it is, but if it seems there might be a risk of fighting, pull it back. Fighting tends to destroy progress and make everything take longer.

hemagx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yea i pulled back the leaver few times cause not just hissing/growling but attacks, really bad ones so i'm going to try this vanilla extract trick and let them interact through the mesh door (can see but can't touch) and see how it goes!

Thanks again!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
i'm going to try this vanilla extract trick
I'm not positive, but I believe it needs to be *pure* vanilla extract, btw. Not the artificial stuff. So a bit expensive, but maybe you can find one of the tiny bottles at the grocery store.

hemagx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I might be lucky that I'm an insane baker and i may or may not be making my own extract myself :D (100% pure)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd honestly wait and do the vanilla at the end of your introduction process. Partly that is because I'm a skeptic, of just about everything lol, but also because if they fight, it undoes whatever calming of the situation you've achieved. And it sounds like fighting is a risk right now.

hemagx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well i was thinking of trying to extract method without physical interaction until i feel it's safe enough to have one, I'm not entirely sure but i think their nose will be able to pick it up. that or they have special sensor that can detect the smell of fish when I'm still 10 meters away from my house..

hemagx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My senior cat was diagnosed today with Polycystic kidney disease and he will be going through intensive course that includes injections almost every other day, he was already super stressed today as the vet did many shots on him, I think i should delay any sort of interactions at least until he is done with this, am i right in this?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... poor little guy. :( Yes, I think less stress the better, for now.