Advice on semi-feral cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A vet tech looked at the pictures I sent and says it looks good. As long as thereā€™s no fluid gathering under the skin, just keep doing the warm packs. Hereā€™s a comparison of the wound last night vs this morning.

Also, I let one of our resident cats sniff my hands after I was with Chase a little while ago and he hissed and ran away. So introductions will be fun. šŸ˜†

Attachments

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
A vet tech looked at the pictures I sent and says it looks good. As long as thereā€™s no fluid gathering under the skin, just keep doing the warm packs. Hereā€™s a comparison of the wound last night vs this morning.

Also, I let one of our resident cats sniff my hands after I was with Chase a little while ago and he hissed and ran away. So introductions will be fun. šŸ˜†
Yes,it really looks great and soon the next chapter begins .....fun fun fun :flail:

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We moved him to our home office this morning and he still hasnā€™t come out of hiding. Poor guy. So many big changes. But itā€™ll be a much better spot for him.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We moved him to our home office this morning and he still hasnā€™t come out of hiding. Poor guy. So many big changes. But itā€™ll be a much better spot for him.
Don't worry, just spend more time with him and have his toys and blankets with his scents on them. It'll take just awhile for him to get use to the new room.

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all! Chase has settled into the office a bit more. He spends most of the day in various books and crannies, even when weā€™re in there, but as soon as someone sits on the floor he comes out for pets. Heā€™s most comfortable with me but increasingly comes out for my husband and kids.

His wound has almost entirely closed. Iā€™m not 100% sure the infection is totally gone, but weā€™re keeping a close eye on it. In another week heā€™ll get his second dewormer (he has tapeworms) and at the end of the month heā€™ll go to our regular vet for his second FVRCP.

What are our next steps at this point as far as socialization and introductions to our resident cats? Just keep doing what weā€™re doing? Start exchanging scents via towels and stuff? Heā€™s definitely still a nervous guy. Loud noises freak him out. So does the office chair, unfortunately.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi all! Chase has settled into the office a bit more. He spends most of the day in various books and crannies, even when weā€™re in there, but as soon as someone sits on the floor he comes out for pets. Heā€™s most comfortable with me but increasingly comes out for my husband and kids.

His wound has almost entirely closed. Iā€™m not 100% sure the infection is totally gone, but weā€™re keeping a close eye on it. In another week heā€™ll get his second dewormer (he has tapeworms) and at the end of the month heā€™ll go to our regular vet for his second FVRCP.

What are our next steps at this point as far as socialization and introductions to our resident cats? Just keep doing what weā€™re doing? Start exchanging scents via towels and stuff? Heā€™s definitely still a nervous guy. Loud noises freak him out. So does the office chair, unfortunately.
That's great to hear!

Yes, keep doing what you've been doing so that he gets used to it.

If you can. do scent swaps with the other cats. You can have Chase scent soaked towel and place it outside the room or near where your either cats are and vice versa before they meet so that they are aware that there are other cats around and also you can use a towel and gently go over Chase's face and body and then use the same towel and gently transfer Chase's scent over to the other cats and vice versa.

Whatever you do, do the introduction slowly.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Great to hear Chase is doing so well-Yes,keep doing exactly what you are doing- it will not be long before the office chair and noises do not frighten him- even loud noises will not freak him out though it might still be scarey for him ... for eg:a vacuum cleaner,some cats are never going to be comfortable around it but after they are comfortable in their familiar environment they'll simply take cover and keep their distance

100% agree with tabbytom tabbytom for the next steps and SLOWLY ā¤

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both! Very helpful as always. It's reassuring to hear that the reactivity to noises will decrease over time and that it's not just a personality thing. Right now he's also fairly nocturnal, but he's increasingly willing to come out during the day. We've been making sure to align the lights in the room with the natural light cycle.

Here's another question for you all: when can we wash this stink guy? After years living outside and then sitting in his urine shortly after we caught him, he does not smell good. I've managed to clean off his tail a bit with a damp cloth, but his legs and underside I think really need a good wash. Any suggestions? I have no idea how he'd react to water. He's been shockingly chill with all the medical stuff, but I don't want to push my luck.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
As soon as he begins to settle down he will start grooming himself and no doubt he can do a great job without all the stress and anxiety - and being frightened by you.

The fact that he is filthy could be another sign that he is not feral - ferals are meticulously clean where as strays can get pretty dirty - they are not used to an outdoor environment and the easier maintainrce required of an indoor kitty .... Poor things usually look & smell like a mess for quite some time

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wanted to update all you lovely folks.

Chase has healed up nicely. No obvious signs of infection. He has colonized the entire upstairs of our house, which makes me feel a bit guilty for our other cats, but weā€™re still slow-walking the intros.Weā€™ve had a few closely managed interactions with lots of food and treats, and so far itā€™s going pretty well. One squabble when he and our other wuss cat both tries to hide under the bed (our fault).

Heā€™s still very nocturnal. He stays under our bed all day and then creeps out in the evening. Iā€™m hoping that changes soon because it seems like itā€™s delaying his socialization a little.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Here's another question for you all: when can we wash this stink guy? After years living outside and then sitting in his urine shortly after we caught him, he does not smell good. I've managed to clean off his tail a bit with a damp cloth, but his legs and underside I think really need a good wash. Any suggestions? I have no idea how he'd react to water. He's been shockingly chill with all the medical stuff, but I don't want to push my luck.
Cats are pretty clean and they'll groom themselves well but it takes time for the urine scent to go away fast. Honestly, I've not bathe or wash a cat before. My boy was rescued off the streets since he was around 3 weeks old and till now, he's 8 years old already and I've never bathe him. All I did was I used soft damp cloth and wipe him all over initially and after that he was left to groom himself.

If he allows you to hold him, maybe just use some pet safe disposable towels that you can get from the pet shop and wipe him down. Nit sure if bathing will freak him out.

Chase has healed up nicely. No obvious signs of infection. He has colonized the entire upstairs of our house, which makes me feel a bit guilty for our other cats, but weā€™re still slow-walking the intros.Weā€™ve had a few closely managed interactions with lots of food and treats, and so far itā€™s going pretty well. One squabble when he and our other wuss cat both tries to hide under the bed (our fault).

Heā€™s still very nocturnal. He stays under our bed all day and then creeps out in the evening. Iā€™m hoping that changes soon because it seems like itā€™s delaying his socialization a little.
Great to hear that thew wound has healed nicely and there's no infections.

Can you change his feeding schedule? Feed him more before bed time and hopefully a full tummy will get him sleep longer.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Wanted to update all you lovely folks.

tabbytom tabbytom is spot on....the lifestyle of nocturnal animals has all to do with hunting /eating to survive ( of course predators are opportunists,cats prey are nocturnal) and under the cover of darkness is the safest time to hunt-being both predator and prey cats sleep 70% of the time ,mostly during the day

Having Saud all that you can understand WHY Chase is under cover most of the day but now you are providing for him and there's no more need to hunt ,that gives you control of the schedule which will recondition his behavioral pattern

What does he do at night? Is he interested in any toys yet? If not thsts okay,he will be eventually as they do have a need to expel the energy stored thats reserved for " the hunt"- as he gets more comfortable the more energy he uses in the daytime the less activity there'll be at night

Cat TV gets a couple of mine very excited and bursting with energy watching birds and squirrels running about and feeding,only thing is my TV has been attacked a couple of times- lol Just a suggestion thst might get his attention in the daylight hours

Great update- sounds like good progressšŸ‘

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both!

On the bright side, he smells a lot better. I think a lot of the odor originally was actually from the infected wound. Even after it was cleaned the smell must have lingered. So between that improving and the fact that he's cleaning himself he's no longer stinky.

He is interested in playing with toys like Da Rat, which is great. Mostly when he emerges he wants attention, which is very sweet. But he's still nervous, so as soon as someone stands up near him he will disappear back under the bed. Overall I'd say we are seeing gradual improvement. Once we can let him and our cats interact I think that will probably help overall. And the cat TV idea is a good one! I'll give that a try.

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another update and a question about cat body language. Chase just had his checkup and his wound has healed up great! He is fully vaxxed, chipped, etc. Intros to other cats are going slowly but overall reasonably well with the two girls.

the tricky part is with our youngest, who is also a neutered male. Heā€™s a bit of a wuss and very attached to me, so he had been totally avoiding our bedroom where Chase is, and obviously resentful about it. Whenever chase is nearby our youngest will give long meows and hisses and quiet growls. He is increasingly willing to be in the same general space as chase, but chase occasionally reacts in a way that makes me nervous.

I wish I could find a picture to illustrate. Chase will adopt a posture where heā€™s standing fully upright, legs straight and slightly spread. His tail is straight and extended upwards and slightly back. His tail may be a bit bushes but itā€™s hard to tell. No arched back, airplane ears, hissing, or growling. He will sort of advance on the younger cat.

Thereā€™s something about this that makes me nervous. Itā€™s not how Iā€™ve seen other cats tussle or squabble, but feels aggressive to me. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Another update and a question about cat body language. Chase just had his checkup and his wound has healed up great! He is fully vaxxed, chipped, etc. Intros to other cats are going slowly but overall reasonably well with the two girls.

the tricky part is with our youngest, who is also a neutered male. Heā€™s a bit of a wuss and very attached to me, so he had been totally avoiding our bedroom where Chase is, and obviously resentful about it. Whenever chase is nearby our youngest will give long meows and hisses and quiet growls. He is increasingly willing to be in the same general space as chase, but chase occasionally reacts in a way that makes me nervous.

I wish I could find a picture to illustrate. Chase will adopt a posture where heā€™s standing fully upright, legs straight and slightly spread. His tail is straight and extended upwards and slightly back. His tail may be a bit bushes but itā€™s hard to tell. No arched back, airplane ears, hissing, or growling. He will sort of advance on the younger cat.

Thereā€™s something about this that makes me nervous. Itā€™s not how Iā€™ve seen other cats tussle or squabble, but feels aggressive to me. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
I wish I could "see" him but from what you've described it sounds that he is not sure what the younger fellow is up to,is he friend or foe,threat or approachable?observing and prepared- it's not aggressive but ready...... this leads me to believe Chase is finding his place in the home,he's getting confident and secure with familiar territory so he's comfortable enough to not retreat when little guy growls ,hisses and meows

This is a good sign thst Chase is getting secure in his environment- you'll have to pay close attention and insert yourself here,comforting the younger one and petting them both - be the distraction if Chase starts fixating

Let me clarify one thing though'- the younger male is not resentful,he's just territorial is all..... where does this type of thing happen? Just outside the bedroom?

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. Sorry for the lack of responses and updates.

Socialization with our other cat is still a work in progress and Chase is definitely still on the anxious side, but overall I cannot believe the progress he has made. I wanted to thank you all again for your help and also share some recent photos of this ā€œferalā€ cat.

Attachments

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. Sorry for the lack of responses and updates.

Socialization with our other cat is still a work in progress and Chase is definitely still on the anxious side, but overall I cannot believe the progress he has made. I wanted to thank you all again for your help and also share some recent photos of this ā€œferalā€ cat.
Chase has officially joined the ex- feral club---- he is "Chase the Housecat now" bravo!šŸ‘