Advice on semi-feral cat

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A few months ago we took over feeding three neighborhood cats (all fixed) and I’m wondering if one of them could be trapped and socialized. They have gotten used to us, anticipate our arrival, and don’t run from us as long as we give them space. Two of them are definitely feral.

The third had bonded with neighbor who used to care for them since he was a kitten. He was affectionate with her, sometimes slept inside, etc. Unlike the other two he will tolerate me petting him briefly. He’s not a huge fan, but he’s not fearful or aggressive. He has scent-marked me a few times. It is obvious he misses his human and tries to get back into her house when people are inside.

Based on this description, do you think it would be worth trapping him and trying to socialize him? I think I could get him into a hard carrier without much trouble. He’s a really special guy and I’d love find a good home for him, but I don’t want him to be miserable.

Any input would be appreciated!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Does he have a 'relationship' with the other two cats? If he does, how do you plan on handling him being inside while the others are still around outside? That could be something for you to plan ahead about so you can more easily get him to adapt.

The other thing to consider is taking whatever time it might take to get him used to being an inside, socialized cat, and how long you are willing to do that before you find another home for him. Perhaps, there is someone else you already have in mind that could be involved in his socialization so that his transitions are less impactful?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
A few months ago we took over feeding three neighborhood cats (all fixed) and I’m wondering if one of them could be trapped and socialized. They have gotten used to us, anticipate our arrival, and don’t run from us as long as we give them space. Two of them are definitely feral.

The third had bonded with neighbor who used to care for them since he was a kitten. He was affectionate with her, sometimes slept inside, etc. Unlike the other two he will tolerate me petting him briefly. He’s not a huge fan, but he’s not fearful or aggressive. He has scent-marked me a few times. It is obvious he misses his human and tries to get back into her house when people are inside.

Based on this description, do you think it would be worth trapping him and trying to socialize him? I think I could get him into a hard carrier without much trouble. He’s a really special guy and I’d love find a good home for him, but I don’t want him to be miserable.

Any input would be appreciated!
Thank you for taking time and interest in getting the cats socialized.

From what I read in your post, they don't seem feral. Yes, I think you have a good chance of socializing them. I think you can try spending a little more time with them before trapping them.

Do keep us posted on the progress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Does he have a 'relationship' with the other two cats? If he does, how do you plan on handling him being inside while the others are still around outside? That could be something for you to plan ahead about so you can more easily get him to adapt.

The other thing to consider is taking whatever time it might take to get him used to being an inside, socialized cat, and how long you are willing to do that before you find another home for him. Perhaps, there is someone else you already have in mind that could be involved in his socialization so that his transitions are less impactful?
From what we can tell he is not close with the other two. The two females are close with one another and they tolerate him. It's hard to say for sure, though, because he roams around the neighborhood and they don't.

I think if we actually went down the path of socializing him and finding him another home we would probably work with a local rescue to get him listed on their site while we foster him. To be perfectly honest, though, if he and our resident cats got along we would probably keep him. But one of our three is a cranky lady who already hates the other two we have, so that seems unlikely.

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking time and interest in getting the cats socialized.

From what I read in your post, they don't seem feral. Yes, I think you have a good chance of socializing them. I think you can try spending a little more time with them before trapping them.

Do keep us posted on the progress.
I think continuing to work with him outdoors at feeding time is a very good idea. I did reach out to a local TNR group and they basically said that unless he is approaching us by choice he's probably happier being on his own. So we'll keep on doing what we're doing and see how things go.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I think continuing to work with him outdoors at feeding time is a very good idea. I did reach out to a local TNR group and they basically said that unless he is approaching us by choice he's probably happier being on his own. So we'll keep on doing what we're doing and see how things go.
Do keep us posted.

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good news and bad news. Good news is this semi-feral boy has warmed up to me a lot. He wanted full on scritches tonight.

Bad news is I realized tonight that he has a wound on his side. I think it’s new, though I can’t say for sure. It’s not bleeding and he ate well, but if it were one of my cats I would 100% take them to a vet.

I reached out to a local feral group to ask for advice, but don’t expect to hear back until tomorrow or the day after. My instinct is to try and get him seen but a) I’ve never trapped a cat before and b) I don’t know if our regular vet would treat a feral. I’m calling our vet tomorrow to ask.

I’m also worried that this is going to destroy his trust and I wonder if this is going to force the decision about trying to socialize him. Not sure we’re ready for that.

Any advice?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Good news and bad news. Good news is this semi-feral boy has warmed up to me a lot. He wanted full on scritches tonight.

Bad news is I realized tonight that he has a wound on his side. I think it’s new, though I can’t say for sure. It’s not bleeding and he ate well, but if it were one of my cats I would 100% take them to a vet.

I reached out to a local feral group to ask for advice, but don’t expect to hear back until tomorrow or the day after. My instinct is to try and get him seen but a) I’ve never trapped a cat before and b) I don’t know if our regular vet would treat a feral. I’m calling our vet tomorrow to ask.

I’m also worried that this is going to destroy his trust and I wonder if this is going to force the decision about trying to socialize him. Not sure we’re ready for that.

Any advice?
Oh dear, either he got caught in a fight or something else gave him that wound.

Hope that the local rescue group will respond fast and hope they take the cat to the vet if it is a serious wound. Most vets would treat cats whether feral or stray otherwise they should not call themselves vets.

The trust will not be destroyed, it'll be a temporary one.

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, either he got caught in a fight or something else gave him that wound.

Hope that the local rescue group will respond fast and hope they take the cat to the vet if it is a serious wound. Most vets would treat cats whether feral or stray otherwise they should not call themselves vets.

The trust will not be destroyed, it'll be a temporary one.
Our local urgent care vet says they've treated many stray/feral cats, so if we're able to trap him we'll bring him there. I haven't heard from the local rescue yet. I've seen recommendations from feral cat rescuers that more socialized cats can sometimes be trapped with a hard carrier, so that's what we're going to try today.

Also, we're unfortunately going out of town for a week soon, so my hope is that an antibiotic shot will be sufficient and then we can release him. We have someone to cover the feedings while we're gone, but no one who'd be able to keep him indoors while healing. Fingers crossed he'll be good until we're back.

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Amazingly, I was able to pick him up and drop him into a hard carrier. I did not think that would be possible. We’re currently at a 24/7 vet waiting for them to check him out.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Also, we're unfortunately going out of town for a week soon, so my hope is that an antibiotic shot will be sufficient and then we can release him. We have someone to cover the feedings while we're gone, but no one who'd be able to keep him indoors while healing. Fingers crossed he'll be good until we're back.
It'll be good that at least he had the antibiotic shot that will help reduce any infections.

Amazingly, I was able to pick him up and drop him into a hard carrier. I did not think that would be possible. We’re currently at a 24/7 vet waiting for them to check him out.
Oh, wonderful! A willing customer.

Yea, please keep us posted.

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Apparently the injury was already almost healed. Vet cleaned it and that’s it. No antibiotics. Vet also confirmed that he’s definitely not feral, just nervous. So after we’re back from our trip I think we will try and bring him inside and set up a space for him.

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey all! We’re back from our trip and fortunately he still remembers us. It’ll take a bit of time to work up trust again, but he actually ate on our porch last night, which is a huge step.

Can any of you recommend some good resources or give advice on best practices for bringing in a stray cat that needs socialization? We were thinking of setting up our bathroom for him, but that seems very small. The other option would be our small home office, but there are lots of nooks and crannies where he could hide and I’ve read that’s not ideal.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hey all! We’re back from our trip and fortunately he still remembers us. It’ll take a bit of time to work up trust again, but he actually ate on our porch last night, which is a huge step.

Can any of you recommend some good resources or give advice on best practices for bringing in a stray cat that needs socialization? We were thinking of setting up our bathroom for him, but that seems very small. The other option would be our small home office, but there are lots of nooks and crannies where he could hide and I’ve read that’s not ideal.
Since he has regain his trust again, you'll be the one he'll look up too. At this moment, scents are very important. I would suggest that you leave some of your clean unwashed and non perfumes clothings in the bathroom if that is where you want to use as a safe room for him. Next, get some towels and place where he eats at the porch to soak up his scents. After a few days or so, move the towels into the bathroom. This way he'll have familiar scents and won't freak out so easily as cats go strongly by scents.

The other good place is your small home office as you are often in that room than in the bathroom and from there you can see him and he can see you and both of you can get lots of interactions rather than he being in the bathroom. This way, it'll be a faster way for him to get socialized and get used to the sights and sounds. Just make sure the home office is cat safe and block up any escape route and close up hiding holes. Leave one or two hiding place for him our leave a cardboard box in the office fro him to retreat to. Right now, he needs a place to hide as being indoors is new to him. A place to hide where he can see you and you can see him will be good.

Once he's in, let us know and we can move on from there.

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He’s inside! Not an ideal situation but our timeline got stepped up. We’ve been trying to build trust back up and then I noticed yesterday that the poor guy had another wound in almost the same place. And worse this time.

My husband somehow managed to get him into a carrier and he’s now in our guest bathroom, totally terrified. He’s got a litter box, food, water, a cardboard scratcher, and a cardboard box with an old towel. Last I checked on him he was hiding behind the toilet.

We’re going to dose him with Revolution since he’s got loads of fleas, and then our plan is to leave him alone for the rest of today. I’ll wear an old t shirt and put that in with him eventually.

After the holiday I’ll try and get an urgent appt with our regular vet and probably dose him with some gabapentin beforehand.

Any advice on what else we should do right now? I don’t think the wound is an urgent matter. And I know we need to get him used to us but for now my instinct is to just leave him be. What would all you experts advise?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He’s inside! Not an ideal situation but our timeline got stepped up. We’ve been trying to build trust back up and then I noticed yesterday that the poor guy had another wound in almost the same place. And worse this time.

My husband somehow managed to get him into a carrier and he’s now in our guest bathroom, totally terrified. He’s got a litter box, food, water, a cardboard scratcher, and a cardboard box with an old towel. Last I checked on him he was hiding behind the toilet.

We’re going to dose him with Revolution since he’s got loads of fleas, and then our plan is to leave him alone for the rest of today. I’ll wear an old t shirt and put that in with him eventually.

After the holiday I’ll try and get an urgent appt with our regular vet and probably dose him with some gabapentin beforehand.

Any advice on what else we should do right now? I don’t think the wound is an urgent matter. And I know we need to get him used to us but for now my instinct is to just leave him be. What would all you experts advise?
5c690171512d2fe4c8e4e634e3438eb9.gif

Ok, for now, he could be terrified being indoors. It's ok for him to hide but just make sure he's not trying to escape and like jumping high and scrambling to be out.

Yes, leave your clean unwashed non perfumed garments with him so that he can continue to have your scents as he did before and this will help him calm down. Visit him often and each time you go see him, make an announcement of your arrival before you open the door to enter so that he don't get spooked. Let him get your to your voice. Once you are at the doorstep, go down on your knees to make yourself small do that you don't look like a giant and a threat to him and it's not so intimidating. Depending on what you are going to do inside, make small movements and keep calling out his name and keep telling him everything is ok in a sweet loving voice.

Take it step by step each day and don't rush him into doing anything just yet. Let him calm down and let him absorb what's around him and let him settle down. Don't just leave him alone for a long time in the room.

Keep us posted of the progress and ask any questions you have.

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the clear and helpful advice! I spent a bit of time with him this morning. Poor guy is terrified. He’s hiding behind the toilet and hasn’t eaten or used the litter. I brought him some fresh food to hopefully entice him to eat a little. When I get too close he gives this long loud yowl. Poor baby.

The remarkable thing is that throughout all of this he has never once tried to bite or scratch out of fear. I don’t know if this says something about his disposition or if it just means he’s totally shut down.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you so much for the clear and helpful advice! I spent a bit of time with him this morning. Poor guy is terrified. He’s hiding behind the toilet and hasn’t eaten or used the litter. I brought him some fresh food to hopefully entice him to eat a little. When I get too close he gives this long loud yowl. Poor baby.

The remarkable thing is that throughout all of this he has never once tried to bite or scratch out of fear. I don’t know if this says something about his disposition or if it just means he’s totally shut down.
B23897A4-51D3-4BD3-9BCF-7803C930DEA6$L0$001~photo.GIF

Yes, he is indeed terrified. We don't know his history and with this behavior, he could have some bad experience with humans. He could have a rough life while being outdoors. Great that you took him in and give him love.

I guess that it is his disposition otherwise he'll be showing his teeth and swatting at you.

He took a Churu from me and let me pet him! I wish I could post a video so it’s easier to see, but he really arched into the scritches.
This is indeed a good sign. Keep the routine to help him gain confidence in you. With his head bowing down while you pet him looks like he missed being petted for a long time and you have petted him at the right place.