Adding moisture to wet food - just need some sort of gravy??

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. There will be some natural sodium and phosphorous. But are those appropriate amounts? I don’t know. Yet another reason why I prefer to make it myself.

If you try that, I’d see if you can heat the rehydrated bone broth up on the stove to get all the gelatin back into solution. Then set it in the fridge to set up like jello. If it does not set up like jello, it’s not a good stock/broth.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just did the calc on the milligrams of sodium per tablespoon...A typical grain of salt has a mass of 0.3 mg ...199.50 millgrams per tablespoon ...665 grains of salt per tablespoon.
That seems quite a bit.
Sorry..super nerd kicked in.
nearly 1/4 teaspoon...24.24465 by mass

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was able to find some chicken bone broth made by Only Natural Pet that my local PetSmart carries, so at least something I can find and buy locally to test (vs. ordering online for now). ONP also makes bone broth in turkey and beef, but not available locally at this time. Anyone familiar with this product?

1571592060244.png

The ingredients are: Chicken Broth (Filtered Water, Chicken Bones, Carrots, Cranberries, Apples, Parsley, Chia, Turmeric), Collagen. I have no idea why they have to use the stuff noted above for cooking purposes, but at least it is strained out of the final product.

For what it is worth:
Phosphorus.....................................................<0.05%
Sodium..........................................1.0%

Of course, now comes the next conundrum - each of these bone broths also contain glucosamine. Feeby is already on Glyco Flex Plus which contains glucosamine (250 mg per daily chew). The broth contains 725 mg, but I can't tell if that is per cup or what (which I am trying to verify). I can't believe there would be that much in the daily recommended 2 tbsp. - so if it were per cup, she might get an extra 30 - 60 mg or so a day from this bone broth. I am hoping this isn't a big deal.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was able to find some chicken bone broth made by Only Natural Pet that my local PetSmart carries, so at least something I can find and buy locally to test (vs. ordering online for now). ONP also makes bone broth in turkey and beef, but not available locally at this time. Anyone familiar with this product?

View attachment 304296

The ingredients are: Chicken Broth (Filtered Water, Chicken Bones, Carrots, Cranberries, Apples, Parsley, Chia, Turmeric), Collagen. I have no idea why they have to use the stuff noted above for cooking purposes, but at least it is strained out of the final product.

For what it is worth:
Phosphorus.....................................................<0.05%
Sodium..........................................1.0%

Of course, now comes the next conundrum - each of these bone broths also contain glucosamine. Feeby is already on Glyco Flex Plus which contains glucosamine (250 mg per daily chew). The broth contains 725 mg, but I can't tell if that is per cup or what (which I am trying to verify). I can't believe there would be that much in the daily recommended 2 tbsp. - so if it were per cup, she might get an extra 30 - 60 mg or so a day from this bone broth. I am hoping this isn't a big deal.
It seems from the website that it is 725 mg/kg, and there is 482g of broth in a 17 oz carton. Essentially, one carton would have about 349mg in its entirety, or about 20.5mg per ounce. If my falling-asleep-and-reading-forums math is correct :p

I've used it and my cat did like it. She also liked me using powdered goats milk and kitten formula for extra "lapping up" when she was having a rough time getting her appetite back. Another thing you can try is powdered beef gelatin :) Obviously all 3 of these you would need to mix with water to the desired consistency.

Last edited:

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner ... I've posted this before, more than once but not sure how many have seen it. I have a flat faced Himi. He eats his homemade ground turkey but he will only lick canned cat food. So, he leaves a heap of it dry on the plate. I use an immersion blender to, essentially, liquify his canned food and he laps it right up. It only takes a few seconds to turn a can of canned food into cat "gravy". No water needed. Same exact food only easy for him to eat and he eats (or laps) it all up.

Worth a try. My immersion blender cost me $17 on amazon.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner ... I've posted this before, more than once but not sure how many have seen it. I have a flat faced Himi. He eats his homemade ground turkey but he will only lick canned cat food. So, he leaves a heap of it dry on the plate. I use an immersion blender to, essentially, liquify his canned food and he laps it right up. It only takes a few seconds to turn a can of canned food into cat "gravy". No water needed. Same exact food only easy for him to eat and he eats (or laps) it all up.

Worth a try. My immersion blender cost me $17 on amazon.
A mini food processor can work well for this purpose, too! (I have a Cuisinart Mini-Prep.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Essentially, one carton would have about 349mg in its entirety, or about 20.5mg per ounce
Only Natural Pet responded to my inquiry - they say there is "9.3 mg of glucosamine per Tablespoon of broth" (18.6 per 2 tbsp./1 oz)- so you are pretty damn close!!!!! Either way, no big deal in terms of the amount that she would receive in a day.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Only Natural Pet responded to my inquiry - they say there is "9.3 mg of glucosamine per Tablespoon of broth" (18.6 per 2 tbsp./1 oz)- so you are pretty damn close!!!!! Either way, no big deal in terms of the amount that she would receive in a day.
Awesome! Better to know from the source regardless but glad I wasn't way off!