Adding moisture to wet food - just need some sort of gravy??

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby is eating two different canned foods for urinary care - which I want to keep her on - but she licks/laps at them until they are nearly dry. Then, she wants moisture added to them and for them to be re-scooped into a pile, repeatedly. At first I added water; that was OK for a while, but then she started disliking it - I am guessing because it diluted the flavor too much. I have since added either human canned chicken in water or canned tuna in water - smashing them both to death, and adding a bit to her food each time she stops eating and waits for me to pile the food back up and add some more moisture. For even 1/4 of a 5.5 oz can of her regular food, this process goes on for at least 1/2 hour.

Now, she seems somewhat disinterested in both the chicken and tuna, is eating even slower and sometimes it can be tough to get her to finish her meal. So, I tried Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers (3 oz) - so far, it would seem the beef and the turkey are hits with her. I am diluting the gravy with water, and again smashing the hell out of the meat in each to get her to eat that as well (she doesn't really like anything but pate style). She can eat a 3 oz can per day divided into 4 meals along with her regular canned food.

BUT, FF Gravy Lovers contains wheat gluten - is this an issue? If so, I need to find something else that she might find as appealing as the gravy in the FF, but with a 'binder' that is more appropriate for cats. And, not necessarily with any meat in it considering her distaste for anything but pate textures.

I searched this site for similar issues, but most everyone has volunteered ideas on other foods - not so much on just a gravy to add. I think she needs variety, so I can stick with adding the canned chicken and tuna to her current food, but then need to add other flavors like the beef and turkey, so she gets several different flavors before I recycle through them again.

Sorry for such a long post, but wanted to help members know the full story before offering me some ideas!! Thanks!

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Tuna water or chicken water is okay as an occasional treat but it has too much salt to use on a regular basis. But plain baby food chicken or beef has less salt and cats love it. I would mix it with water and stir it into her food.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are broth out there that are marketed to cats. Fancy Feast and Sheba are two. I fed Neko-chan a salmon bone broth after her spay..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But plain baby food chicken or beef has less salt and cats love it.
I forgot to mention that I did try baby food meat - she threw it up!! Corn starch maybe? Although, so far, she has not thrown up the FF with wheat gluten.

There are broth out there that are marketed to cats. Fancy Feast and Sheba are two. I fed Neko-chan a salmon bone broth after her spay..
Looks like FF contains wheat starch, Sheba is not just a broth but with mostly fish in them and contains tapioca starch. Maybe tapioca starch is better???

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Beechnut still makes a chicken baby food without cornstarch in it.
It would appear that their beef and turkey versions also do NOT contain cornstarch. Will have to try them - I think I found them at my local Walmart! That would at least give me 3 different flavors to try and see if she would 'approve'!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beechnut still makes a chicken baby food without cornstarch in it.
Yes, our cats liked Beechnut after one got sick! I think I fed some chicken and some turkey.
Looks like FF contains wheat starch, Sheba is not just a broth but with mostly fish in them and contains tapioca starch. Maybe tapioca starch is better???
Personally, yes, I think tapioca starch is better. I don't like feeding tapioca but do make an exception for certain gravy foods that I feed as treats, draining most of the gravy. (I see tapioca as less bad than wheat ingredients.)

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boil down some beef or chicken bones and make your own stock/broth..you know its pure from any additives and lasts ages in the fridge and the cats love it. and easy to do.
Had to do that after one of mine ate some rat bait and was nursing him back to health.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here in Australia most of our local butchers save bones for pet owners..in you country I got no idea unless your local pet shop has bones.
Here's a website that shows how to do it and where to get your bones.
Just don't add the vegetables and use only the bones.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can also look for a bone broth at a grocery store (especially one like Whole Foods or Sprouts). Make sure it is salt free and no garlic or onion in it. My vet was able to make a specific recommendation. You can pour it in ice cube trays and freeze it into individual servings.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boil down some beef or chicken bones and make your own stock/broth..you know its pure from any additives and lasts ages in the fridge and the cats love it. and easy to do.
Had to do that after one of mine ate some rat bait and was nursing him back to health.
Question for you: I make meat stock for my Krista. Do you feed the fat too or do you skim it off?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK. What about something like this? It comes in beef, turkey, chicken and pork. See anything that is alarming - or just totally wrong?

https://www.chewy.com/natures-logic-dehydrated-chicken-bone/dp/168589
Store bought bone broth has never been a hit with Krista. But she loves homemade meat stock. I think store bought bone broth is likely too dilute. Krista loves her meat stock as a meat jello treat rather than a liquid.

Easiest way to make it is an Instant Pot. If Feeby can have chicken, you can buy chicken feet from the butcher. This makes a great stock because what you’re really after is the connective tissue in the joints. Feet means lots of joints. Wings also make a good stock. Strip much of the meat from the bones. Leave some on because that will come out cooked very tender for her. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, a crock pot or slow cooker is next best. Or just a stock pot on a stove on low.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Question for you: I make meat stock for my Krista. Do you feed the fat too or do you skim it off?
At the time with my cat after the poisoning I left the fat to keep the bowel lubricated and get as much fats/proteins into him as I could to build him up.
I would normally skim off the excess fats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Store bought bone broth has never been a hit with Krista. But she loves homemade meat stock. I think store bought bone broth is likely too dilute. Krista loves her meat stock as a meat jello treat rather than a liquid.
The Nature's Logic is dehydrated, meaning I can add as much water as I want - or, at least I think that is what it means! :confused:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The devil is in the details on the Nature's logic products. I found this:

199.50 milligrams of sodium per tablespoon
59.10 milligrams of phosphorus per tablespoon

Is there natural sodium and phosphorus in homemade bone broth? Sorry, I just don't know much about bone broth. :headscratch: