Acidity And Raw Cat Food...one Problem Solved...another One Introduced

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You're unfortunately having to throw darts at the problem since the canned food produces lose poop with no vomiting and the raw food produces solid poops but with nausea.

One of the things that seems to produce solid, firm stools in raw fed cats is the use of whole raw bone. When you cook the rabbit, you are using eggshell calcium instead of raw bone, and continue to see pudding poop. I don't want to experiment on your kitty like a lab rat :confused:, but I wonder what would happen if you served cooked meat with some small pieces of raw meaty bone for calcium? Just thinking out loud...
I was wondering a similar thing - if all cooked is no good and all raw is no good, what about partially cooked? Or mixing raw with cooked? I'm not an expert but I agree that raw bone is probably better than eggshell, since bone is closer to a cat's natural diet than eggshell. (said by someone who's not doing raw bone yet...)

Our Laelia isn't as sensitive as your kitty, but I've noticed that the less I cook the food the more she pukes, and she's better with chunkier food instead of more pureed. Maybe just adding some chunks that will take longer to digest would help??

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is tummyworks. I believe everything should be read and researched to decide if it's something you want to try.

TummyWorks contains an all natural, unique blend of 10 Probiotics, 6 Digestive Enzymes and a Prebiotic specially formulated for cats and dogs. Prebiotic - feeds "good bacteria" FOS (fructooligiosaccharide) Probiotics - 2 billion CFU's per scoop: Lactobacillus acidophilis, L. Brevis, L. Casei, L. Rhamnosus, L. plantarum, L. reuteri, L. Fermentum, B. bifidum, B. longum, E. Faecium Digestive Enzymes Protease, Cellulase, Amylase, Lipase, Beta-glucanase, Bromelain Other Ingredients Maltodextrin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

james kelly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update : Had to take him off the raw.Couldnt solve the vomiting problem due to acidity.The constant vomiting affected his appetite...and I could tell he was miserable.Shes back on royal canin hypoallergenic temporaily which the vet wants her on
Vomiting has stopped entirely since taking her off the raw
Appetite is back and behaviour is good...running around playing etec with the other cats.
But now her stools are pudding and blood again...so it like im going in circles ...
So Im back to square one..at least i know raw does solve his stool problem...so i at least learned one thnig

I will return to the raw shortly once things have settled down.Vet wants to do ultrasound soon i guess to look for colitis...I know its colitis...dhuuhhh...i know its the denatured protein which is the problem from cooking and causing the inflammation... thats why no brand of canned worked...and netiher did home cooked....still no solution to the stomach acidity problem when on the raw
IMG_20170322_133347.jpg
..which shouldnt be a problem...becuasse cats by nature can cope with low pH...maybe i will try a different brand of raw...i dont think its a protein allergy problem...so any type of raw should work...i dunno

Last edited:

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All your vet if this is ok for your cat. TummyWorks Probiotics Powder for Dogs & Cats, 160 Scoops
I used it the entire time my cat was on soft food. She always has soft poop on it. This didn't change the smell but calmed her stomach and made solid poop. I'm using some with raw to help her with the getting used to the change (it's not constipating her ). My cat is 12 lbs and got 1 1/2 scoops in her food daily if I'm soft. The company responds to emails. I asked about 2 scoops and they didn't recommend that much. So for raw mine gets a 1/2 scoop. My kitty has had what they called a sensitive stomach. She used to fart all the time. It helped that stop completely before raw. It's a big container. The scoop is red and inside. It's also nice that it's good for cats and dogs.

Keep it in the fridge after you open it.

james kelly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
TummyWorks Probiotics
All your vet if this is ok for your cat. TummyWorks Probiotics Powder for Dogs & Cats, 160 Scoops
I used it the entire time my cat was on soft food. She always has soft poop on it. This didn't change the smell but calmed her stomach and made solid poop. I'm using some with raw to help her with the getting used to the change (it's not constipating her ). My cat is 12 lbs and got 1 1/2 scoops in her food daily if I'm soft. The company responds to emails. I asked about 2 scoops and they didn't recommend that much. So for raw mine gets a 1/2 scoop. My kitty has had what they called a sensitive stomach. She used to fart all the time. It helped that stop completely before raw. It's a big container. The scoop is red and inside. It's also nice that it's good for cats and dogs.

Keep it in the fridge after you open it.
thank you for your suggestion...Ive tried two other brands of protiotics for cats and unfortuantely they didnt help but Im willing keep on trying ...with Tummy works...thanks for your suggestion

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I believe through Amazon tummyworks offers a 100% money back guarantee. You could message the seller to confirm. I know things that don't work add up in cost.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update : Had to take him off the raw.Couldnt solve the vomiting problem due to acidity.The constant vomiting affected his appetite...and I could tell he was miserable.Shes back on royal canin hypoallergenic temporaily which the vet wants her on
Vomiting has stopped entirely since taking her off the raw
Appetite is back and behaviour is good...running around playing etec with the other cats.
But now her stools are pudding and blood again...so it like im going in circles ...
So Im back to square one..at least i know raw does solve his stool problem...so i at least learned one thnig

I will return to the raw shortly once things have settled down.Vet wants to do ultrasound soon i guess to look for colitis...I know its colitis...dhuuhhh...i know its the denatured protein which is the problem from cooking and causing the inflammation... thats why no brand of canned worked...and netiher did home cooked....still no solution to the stomach acidity problem when on the rawView attachment 185175 ..which shouldnt be a problem...becuasse cats by nature can cope with low pH...maybe i will try a different brand of raw...i dont think its a protein allergy problem...so any type of raw should work...i dunno
My IBD cat has never had a vomiting problem but would alternate between liquid diarrhea and constipation bad enough to warrant a "dig out" at the vet.
Raw screws him up. And I say this as a die hard fan of raw feeding. Even boneless raw plugged him up! The only raw food he can tolerate (and seems to thrive on) is green tripe; makes sense as this is the intestine of the cow. All sorts of good enzymes I guess. He gets tripe with each meal as well as home cooked, which I'll admit is trickier than raw but (for him) well worth the effort (it can be made in large batches and frozen).
One of our dogs has really bad acid reflux and will regurgitate or hoark up partially digested food in a little puddle of water or bile. When this happens, I add a few drops of cider vinegar (Braggs) and break up his feeding (3-4 times a day vs. twice.) It really seems to help him. The vet that told me about this said that some cases of this (in pets AND humans) can be a lack of stomach acid, and not an over-production. I don't know if this would work for anyone elses pet, but it certainly works for ours and seems to give him tons of relief.
Best of luck. I can sense your love and devotion to this little cat and it makes me smile! :)

james kelly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My IBD cat has never had a vomiting problem but would alternate between liquid diarrhea and constipation bad enough to warrant a "dig out" at the vet.
Raw screws him up. And I say this as a die hard fan of raw feeding. Even boneless raw plugged him up! The only raw food he can tolerate (and seems to thrive on) is green tripe; makes sense as this is the intestine of the cow. All sorts of good enzymes I guess. He gets tripe with each meal as well as home cooked, which I'll admit is trickier than raw but (for him) well worth the effort (it can be made in large batches and frozen).
One of our dogs has really bad acid reflux and will regurgitate or hoark up partially digested food in a little puddle of water or bile. When this happens, I add a few drops of cider vinegar (Braggs) and break up his feeding (3-4 times a day vs. twice.) It really seems to help him. The vet that told me about this said that some cases of this (in pets AND humans) can be a lack of stomach acid, and not an over-production. I don't know if this would work for anyone elses pet, but it certainly works for ours and seems to give him tons of relief.
Best of luck. I can sense your love and devotion to this little cat and it makes me smile! :)
Its interesting you mention tripe because I saw a brand of canned cat food the other day in the pet shop that is tripe oriented.I had not heard of it before.I might try that one.
<div class="dropdown-column-tripe-cat three columns"><WiredLayoutRegion name="lay_HeaderDropdownNavTripeCat" /></div>

http://petkind.com/qrh

Since the vet recommended Royal Canin hypoallergenic is no longer working I might give the tripe brand a try…

I found that my cat had bowel movments on alternate days when I had her on the raw…I could see how it could potentially be constipating….that would be a first for my kittie…because hes been having the opposite problem since I brought her home from the animal shelter …

I think the most frustrating part is the lack of knowledge when it comes to diet and cats by the vets in my area….there is so little understanding …there are no holistic vets in my area….for support so I have to do all the searching myself…

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if it might be worth your time and money to schedule a telephone consolation with Dr. Pierson, or some other pro-raw veterinarian with a solid reputation on nutrition studies. I agree...most traditional vets are not the people to talk to about cat nutrition.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its interesting you mention tripe because I saw a brand of canned cat food the other day in the pet shop that is tripe oriented.I had not heard of it before.I might try that one.
<div class="dropdown-column-tripe-cat three columns"><WiredLayoutRegion name="lay_HeaderDropdownNavTripeCat" /></div>

Since the vet recommended Royal Canin hypoallergenic is no longer working I might give the tripe brand a try…

I found that my cat had bowel movments on alternate days when I had her on the raw…I could see how it could potentially be constipating….that would be a first for my kittie…because hes been having the opposite problem since I brought her home from the animal shelter …

I think the most frustrating part is the lack of knowledge when it comes to diet and cats by the vets in my area….there is so little understanding …there are no holistic vets in my area….for support so I have to do all the searching myself…
I hear you on the vet issue. Finding a pro-raw vet can be tiresome, but they're fascinating to talk with as their husbandry practices in general are very different than what most of us are used to.
My dogs and cats (but mostly my dogs) seem to poop less than they did on kibble.
I think most people shy away from tripe because it's disgusting smelling and once they realize it's basically guts, they balk. A few of my cats don't care for tripe at all and will leave it on their mat, but a few of them gobble it up!