3 babies! :lovecat2:

Do you think she is done?

Are they latching and nursing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
4! And I think she may have one more in her belly. They are definitely all trying to nurse:) Is there an afterbirth after all the placentas?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, just the placentas.

Sometimes it appears there is one more, but it's just a lumpy uterus after delivering, until it shrinks back to normal size.

4 babies! How's mom holding up?

susan d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's doing really well :hearthrob: She just finished a jar of baby food,and seems like she could eat more-are there any specific guidelines for that? She did not eat much yesterday. I ask because I've only had kittens one other time-about 27 years ago,and I took her into the vet that evening because she was panting after having delivered 3 babies that morning. He took an X-ray and said there were no more kittens,but there was a huge mass of food in her tummy! :shocked:

She is resting peacefully,and everyone is latched:angel3: Another question- this blessed event happened on my bed:p Should I put a box up on the bed and move them into it? And it seems like I should move them into the nesting area soon,so that they are gated off from the dog- would you agree? I will post some pictures in a bit too:cloud9:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom can have as much to eat as she wants. She just worked really hard bringing her babies into the world, and nursing burns a lot of calories too.

I do agree they should be moved into the nest. Hopefully this does not upset mom. Some moms will take the kittens out of the nest and put them back on the bed. Keep your dog separate for now until you get this resolved.

susan d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I only weighed two of the kittens when they were born-it stressed both she and the kittens,so today I need definitely differentiate between the four of them so that I can weigh and keep track of their specifics. The only other time I had kittens they were well marked,but not as clearly this time.

I am surprised that she is still wanting to go outside,but it may be because I'm out here from time to time. She is her most at ease when I am next to her on the bed. It is still not good to let her out,correct? Although I can't imagine she would stay away from them long.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No! Please do not let her outside. If she disappeared for any reason, you will be hand raising these kittens with around the clock feedings for the next few weeks.

susan d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've got a baby who seems to have become kind of non responsive. It is breathing but just isn't moving even when I pick it up. She's been off of their blanket for a while and seeming to not want to go back,so I just changed the blanket.. I think she might be upset bc of the dog being around. This tiny kitten is scaring me! It had gotten very cold while she's away. Am holding it to my chest now. What should I do?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
susan d susan d

Oh no! Warm it up as much as you can. Do you have a heating pad?

Put honey on its gums for quick energy, and see if you can get 1mL of formula into its mouth with a syringe.

This is an emergency!

susan d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not responding to honey or milk

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is the baby warmed up now?

Will it swallow?

Is it breathing heavy or gasping?

susan d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:sniffle::sniffle::sniffle:She's gone:bawling::bawling: Her breathing got less and less. I had to breathe ever so gently into her little mouth as it seemed to stop. I ran out- barely dressed,and flew over to the vet-breathing in her while driving if I couldn't see her breathe. They took herack,gave her oxygen and some kind of med. They said she seemed to respond at first. They then found two puncture wounds on her back:bawling::bawling::bawling:the lower one enough that they could see some of her insides. While the vet was out talking to me they called him back-she was breathing again.He came back to me-a last gasp and movement:bawling::bawling::bawling:The little angel really did fight to hang in there.

While I was in the bathroom,I heard mama kitty meow. When I came out,the dog was on the bed,but I didn't think anything of it and just made her get down. At about that same time mama had gotten off of the blanket,and didn't want to get back on with her kittens. She was checking out the nesting area,but I thought she just wanted to move them- that she had rested up enough to want to do that. While I was working on the kitten,she moved only 1 of the babies down there,and came back and was lying on the bed,so I moved the other 2 over. She just did not know what to do with the sick kitten,despite my pleas for her to help.

I can only guess that the dog picked her up while I was out of the room. I made the added mistake of keeping the kitten on her back. I did that so I could see if she was breathing. Her lungs had fluid in them also.

:bawling::bawling: :bawling: My heart is broken. I thought it would be safe to leave them on the bed as long as I was home,and I was wrong.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, Lordy, how sad. I'm so sorry. I felt that you were losing the kitten when you did not respond for quite some time. :(

Kittens are so fragile. Your dog probably meant no harm, but is so aware, and so curious, about what is going on, that he could not help himself.

Mama cats need to feel their kittens are safe, so I always advise keeping other animals and small children away.

Try not to beat yourself up too much. You've just lived and learned a few valuable lessons, which you can now pass on to others.

I just want to repeat this: Don't let mama out, keep the dog away (he'll be okay), and never feed a kitten on its back due to possible aspiration.

Is mama kitty okay with her remaining kittens? Are they feeding well?

Last edited:

susan d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You summed it up- I think she was curious. I did not give her the tranquiiizer today,as she seemed pretty mellow w/o it yesterday. I was trying to be a good doggy mom too by not giving her meds if she didn't need it. Needless to say,I picked up more of that med while I was at the vets.

Yes,the others are eating well. I checked them over with a flashlight when I got home,and did not see anything.That coupled with their vigorous suckling leads me to believe they are all fine,but honestly,I am still a bit nervous that I could possibly have overlooked something. That's another reason I hate that they are not right next to me on the bed. I'm thinking about possibly getting another pen to go around the bed so I can keep them up here. I live in a studio,so my space options are pretty limited.

I know you warned me,and I was just going take the dog with me whenever I left,or leave her in the yard while I was gone. Being that it is a studio,I really thought I could control things while I'm home-I just did not consider that while I went into the bathroom I was leaving them vulnerable. Thank you so much for all of your help and advice........

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know you are on top of all this, and I think you have done a fantastic job so far.

Do you have a closet that you can put the nest in? That might help things for now.

I did not realize that you are in a studio apartment.

susan d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do have a closet,but the doors don't slide easily,and I'm afraid that would be stressful for mama. I was also afraid it might get hot- I have an ac running,but it is hot and humid here. But that is part of her nesting area that I've got gated off- but the doors are open to the closet. I also have a little house set up in there for her,but she hasn't taken to that. It's like the 1 she uses outside,only double. I think that area is pretty secure,but given the circumstances I am thinking I will line up some tall furniture along the side that runs along the bed.

susan d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just want to repeat this: Don't let mama out, keep the dog away (he'll be okay), and never feed a kitten on its back due to possible aspiration.
I wanted to get back to this to say that I do understand these 3 absolutes.
I know you are on top of all this, and I think you have done a fantastic job so far.
You are very kind,but I was not on top of things enough,despite my belief that I was,and a dear,precious little life has been so needlessly lost because of it.

I really want to thank you again for all of your help and guidance- you have been so awesome since my very first post:hearthrob::hugs: Especially given the 6 hr. time difference :rock: I am so very appreciative,and am not sure that has come across in my posts,so- XOXOXOXO:redheartpump::hugs::redheartpump:from me to you~~~~~~

If I may,can I ask you about two other things? Mama's stools were very loose tonight. It's possible they were prior also,and that I just missed it. She did eat all 4 placentas yesterday. I have something called Bene-Bac Plus,that I got just to have on hand. Should I see if it passes naturally,or would it not hurt anything to put some into her baby food? I am still adding the Fox Run replacement powder to her baby food- is that ok,or should I hold off until her stools return to normal?

Also,I do want to bring she and the kittens back up on the bed where I can keep a close eye on them,but I obviously would have to put a gate around the bed-which is fine. I will just have to keep the dog sedated and on the floor ,which I do not like-she is 11 and used to being my only baby,but that's just how it's going to have to be. Mama seems to relax so much more when I get in the nest area with them and stroke her and talk to her. Is there any reason that I possibly should NOT bring them back up to the bed,IF I am able to be sure that the dog cannot get in?