About To Give Birth

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to not have replied here. Lol,my dog is the reluctant big sister here and is tolerant most of the time,but when food is involved she is still VERY territorial!
The kittens I kept were born in '88 and are long gone. I kept her 3 kittens and they lived a long happy life :)

Mom was spayed about 3 weeks ago,and the kittens are due for the same in about a month. Things were blissful in terms of it stopped her constant yowling. She had been inside for about 4 mos.,and was very accepting of being an indoor cat,THEN she got out about 3 days ago and she has been constantly yowling ever since:shocked:and is desperate to get out again :please: Honestly,I had planned to let her out again after she was fixed but am moving in about a week to a place that sits at the back of a property that is on a highway and it just won't be safe to let her out. I had decided not to let her out in the interim in an effort not to whet her appetite- for her sake AND mine. Then this morning I got up and fixed some coffee,and when I got back someone had peed on my bed!:eek2: I am assuming it's her protesting being kept inside again. I had actually noticed the smell of urine a couple of nights ago and figured it was maybe on one of the pet beds as everything is askew as I am packing to move, Any thoughts or suggestions?

This brings me to my next concern; I have been living in a studio that is about 425 sq. ft,but am moving to a place that's 400 sq. ft.,but at least has divided rooms and a kitchen,and will save me a much needed $700.00/mo. Do you think it's cruel to keep the 4 cats in such a small space? Again,they have to stay inside because of the proximity to the highway. I pretty much decided to keep them,but do not want to be cruel. The owner of the property knows about all of my pets and is very accepting,and based on the looking around that I did do,that seems pretty exceptional,and I feel quite fortunate.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My guess is that mom also senses that something is going on since you are packing, so she is acting out. I'm sure she would also like to go out. It's good you are keeping her in though.

So 4 cats and a dog in a small place, but at least you'll have some separation.

I think it's fine, but you'll need to create vertical space higher up for the cats. This could be cat trees, or shelves attached to the walls for the cats to perch on and move from shelf to shelf on. Cats love heights. It just offers them more options. Be sure to put tables or perches under windows for them.

Plug a couple of diffusers in the new place, and hopefully, they will be so busy exploring and adjusting that mom will forget about going out. Be careful opening doors around her!

Any chance you will have a screened-in porch? I'm in a small house with 7 cats, and windows, vertical options, and my screened porch are a saving grace.

Do get the kittens fixed as soon as possible!

Good to hear from you! :)

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
You also might want to check her urine. UTI can be a result of stress such as a move. If it is a UTI she will need a shot to clear it up. If it is anxiety related, there are pills similar to the anxiety medication used for people that can help her calm down.