About To Give Birth

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

susan d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow! I am so glad I did some research before using essential oils- even if just in a diffuser,there are so many common ones that you def. need to NOT USE around cats! I use therapy grade oils,but that doesn't matter- it has to do with their inability to metabolize them. In case anyone else is interested here is the link to an informative page.

Is it Safe to Use Essential Oils With Cats? | Using Essential Oils Safely

Is it ok to use vinegar around them to clean the floors?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Vinegar is okay as far as I know.

Yes, it's good you checked. Better safe than sorry. Thank you for the link. :)

Last edited:

susan d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think we may be in our first stage labor. She is beyond restless,meowing constantly,and wanting to be close to me. She nibbles from time to time,but has eaten much less today. She was much more relaxed today-even sleeping in the closet,but now is desperately trying to get out,then jumps up on the bed for a while-which is also unusual. She has spent a lot on f time digging in her sandbox also. I pray we both get some sleep tonight;) I'll keep you apprised.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like later stage one labor when the contractions get stronger and closer together. Poor gal - it's painful.

Hopefully you'll have kittens today.

Keep us posted!

susan d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has settled back down now-she's asleep on the bed next to the dog. I,on the other hand, cannot sleep, and am outdoors smoking at 2:30 a.m. It occurred to me that she could also be restless because this is her first day of not going outside at all. I let her come outside with me last night,and she sat where she always does,enjoying the fresh air,so I went in and did a few dishes,and when I came back she was gone! :shocked:She came back 2 very stressful hours later,but it was definitely enough to convince me that she could not go out again- no matter how badly she wanted to,or how badly I felt for her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sorry you can't sleep, but I'm relieved to hear that you finally understand what we've been saying about not letting her out now, and especially after the kittens are born.

Hang in there!

susan d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need some advice about something: she has not had her kittens and has been pretty quiet for about the last 6 hrs. She also is not eating anywhere near as much since yesterday. I have an appointment today @ 12:15 and would be gone for 3-4 hrs. I can possibly cancel it,but would hate to because I cancelled this last week because I was sick. Should I cancel? Is there enough reason to,based on my last few posts,to think today is the day?****** If it helps,according to my loose calculations,knowing only that she was out and about for several days during a full moon in Marchnand counting from there, today would only be day 58.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You should go to your appointment. It sounds like your cat will be okay. Sounds like it may have been a false alarm before if your dates are correct.

Last edited:

susan d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has become disinterested in the Fancy Feast,and now pretty much just eats dry kitten kibble,and baby food to which I add rescue remedy and 1/4 t. kmr. I asked the vet about the rescue remedy and she said it was fine. She gets it about 4x a day,and snacks on kibble in between. I got some Greek yogurt today,but does it need to be plain? I got honey flavored thinking the honey might be good for her? Can she eat vanilla or fruit flavored also?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Plain is better, as they dont need the added sugar. Also, there are other additions with flavored brands.
But a little honey is often useful, contains lotsa of glucose sugar and gives quick energy. So I would recommend plain and YOU can add a little honey (warm up the honey a little so its more fluid and easier to mix).
But if you dont have no plain, you CAN give flavored.

Dr Bachs rescue remedy is solved in brandy. So dont give too much... Although a little, solved with drinking water does no harm, in normal doses.

susan d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Animal rescue remedy isn't supposed to have alcohol in it like the human version does-that was why I used it. I am very sensitive to alcohol,and tasted it just to be sure and I could not detect any at all. I will only give it as needed. Things have calmed down around here,a lot. She no longer seems afraid and ready to bolt out the door every time it opens. The Feliway diffuser has been plugged in since yesterday evening,and even though I had to plug it in at counter level,I'm sure it's helping. Last night she jumped onto the bed and fell asleep right next to me with her paw across my arm-I was in kitty heaven :redheartpump:

I have set up her nesting area,and she spends a fair amount of time in there. It's an area I have gated off to keep the dog away from her. There is 'relaxing kitty music' playing 27/7- and that relaxes all three of us beyond measure. It still stresses my dog out for me to be giving so much attention to her,so I started giving her,the dog,a minimal dose of Trazadone,and that has been a HUGE help! I even have all 3 of my vintage lava lamps percolating,so we are all pretty much blissed out here :angel3:

She is still eating a fair amount less than she was- should I be concerned,or is that common the week prior to delivery? Baby food seems to be the favorite-with the kmr powder added,still nibbling kibble-but not as much as she was,and I still put out the Fancy Feast,but she only eats a bit of it. I offered her some yogurt today,and she took a few licks,but nothing substantial. She rejected the chicken broth yesterday,and I don't see her drink much water. Is it possible that her nutritional requirements are being met with the kmr and therefore she's not driven to eat as much? And,of course,as of 2 nights ago,has not been outside at all,so maybe she doesn't need as much? Tomorrow marks the 60th day-but that could be give or take a couple of days.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds lovely! I'm sure the diffuser is helping.

She's going to eat less with the kittens squeezing her tummy for space.

The baby food is dense and all protein. That plus KMR give her plenty of nutrition for now.

Good to hear that your dog is not too stressed anymore.

susan d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
#1 is here and both are doing great!