Abandoned Kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
....If you have been feeding her only dry food (and perhaps free-feeding at that)...
They get quality canned (we check the ingredients) and a small amount of a quality dry. I have a medical and research background and have read the literature on feline nutrition. Costs a small fortune to feed them good stuff, but still cheaper than the health issues from a poor diet.

I suspect you are spot on with the dry food addiction. Both Bengals eat only small amounts at a time, so we used to leave some dry out for them to nibble on. The Bengals never had a problem with it, they always preferred the canned and the dry represented a small fraction of their intake. The Bengals would just have a little dry if they were peckish between meals. Their weights have been stable. But now that you mention it, I think June Bug was eating the dry all the time, and probably getting away with it because of that rapid kitten growth and insane activity level. Now that her growth is slowing and she isn't zipping around non-stop, the excess eating has caught up with her (I went through a similar problem in my early 30s now that I think about it :lol:) Currently we don't leave food down for her to get into between meals.

The problem is going to be the cats very different eating habits. Makena takes a bite or two and wanders off. Then wanders back later for another few bites. If he doesn't get enough to eat he really doesn't care. We initially had a problem keeping his weigh up. Lilia is the same but she will complain if she gets hungry. June Bug sits and eats a whole meal at once, so she would potentially eat all the Bengals portions. Fortunately, I think she is only habituated to that dry food, and doesn't seem to be overeating the canned. we will just have to watch a bit closer and see.

We have a terrific vet, she specializes in cats and gives succinct practical advice. I am curious to hear what she has to say as well.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They get quality canned (we check the ingredients) and a small amount of a quality dry. I have a medical and research background and have read the literature on feline nutrition. Costs a small fortune to feed them good stuff, but still cheaper than the health issues from a poor diet.

I suspect you are spot on with the dry food addiction. ... now that you mention it, I think June Bug was eating the dry all the time, and probably getting away with it .. Currently we don't leave food down for her to get into between meals. ...

We have a terrific vet, she specializes in cats and gives succinct practical advice. I am curious to hear what she has to say as well.
:agree:

Thanks for that info! :)
(All the pix that you posted here of her eating had her eating dry food, so I made an assumption :blush: )

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would rather see them a little chubby when they get a little older. Something to keep them going when old age causes them to stop eating or get picky. My Burt was always 16 pounds and then a 'perfect' weight of 11 when he died.....:(
yes, i agree!!! a little chubby, a little extra weight as they get older can be a very good thing. :agree:

and i actually think the same about human beings, that a little extra weight can be a good thing as we get older. some neighbors as i was growing up, an older married couple. the husband died, and the wife was slender (always had been). she, of course, took the loss of her husband very hard. she lost a LOT of weight, during her grieving -- extra weight that she didn't have...'in reserve'.

and i believe that it's hard to put on weight while you're ill (as can happen during senior years for people), or even just generally as a senior.

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@terestrife mentions in the thread 'Sad News About Keith Today' that they use Surefeed feeders which respond to a microchip.
Now that is pretty cool.

Both Lilia and Makena have chips. We could program it to open just for the Bengals so they could get their snacks. Then June Bug would only get canned food at mealtimes.

Going to think about this one.

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a funny story about June Bug...

Makena and Lilia were due for their checkups and shots, so we took them to the vet yesterday. This is a story in itself...

Lilia was frightened terribly. Lilia snuggled up to my wife and cried.

Makena was angry. When I put his harness on he figured he was going for a nice hike.... Feeling a bit tricked, he sat and quietly growled, letting out an occasional hiss.

Lilia endured her exam, trembling and scared. Makena growled but did as he was told and allowed Dr Rene and her ever patient vet tech to examine him. As long as he could see me he was cooperative.

We loaded up our two relieved Bengals: Lilia cuddled with my wife and Makena sat between us on the seat. We headed home only having been gone about 45 minutes.

It never dawned on us that June Bug has never been home all by herself before.

When we got home, we could hear her meowing inside the house from 50 feet away.

Deb went in first, holding Lilia in a towel. June Bug wanted to check Lilia. Then I brought Makena in on his leash. June Bug gave Makena a quick sniff, then turned and hissed at me. Then she looked at Deb and hissed at her. She was VERY angry that we took her friends away and left her by herself. She hissed at us a few times more, then came over and wanted to make up, rubbing on our legs and purring! Poor June Bug was very upset, but it was both funny and touching how she blamed us.

Oh, one more thing. We have about 30 cat toys laying around, little mice, crinkle balls, rubber lizards, catnip bags, ping pong balls, balls with bells in them, a piece of rope, a big stuffed fish thing they can hold onto and kick, a fuzzy squirrel with a bell inside, etc, etc, etc. We have more hidden away and we rotate the toys. There is a cardboard box with cutouts to play in. All kinds of stuff laying around for cats to play with.

So which toy is currently June Bugs favorite?

The filthy cheap plastic strainer out of the shower, of course!

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
lol - it's always great to read a June Bug update. Do you think she would have been happier if you had taken her to the vet as well, without getting an exam?

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a funny story about June Bug...

Makena and Lilia were due for their checkups and shots, so we took them to the vet yesterday. This is a story in itself...

Lilia was frightened terribly. Lilia snuggled up to my wife and cried.

Makena was angry. When I put his harness on he figured he was going for a nice hike.... Feeling a bit tricked, he sat and quietly growled, letting out an occasional hiss.

Lilia endured her exam, trembling and scared. Makena growled but did as he was told and allowed Dr Rene and her ever patient vet tech to examine him. As long as he could see me he was cooperative.

We loaded up our two relieved Bengals: Lilia cuddled with my wife and Makena sat between us on the seat. We headed home only having been gone about 45 minutes.

It never dawned on us that June Bug has never been home all by herself before.

When we got home, we could hear her meowing inside the house from 50 feet away.

Deb went in first, holding Lilia in a towel. June Bug wanted to check Lilia. Then I brought Makena in on his leash. June Bug gave Makena a quick sniff, then turned and hissed at me. Then she looked at Deb and hissed at her. She was VERY angry that we took her friends away and left her by herself. She hissed at us a few times more, then came over and wanted to make up, rubbing on our legs and purring! Poor June Bug was very upset, but it was both funny and touching how she blamed us.

Oh, one more thing. We have about 30 cat toys laying around, little mice, crinkle balls, rubber lizards, catnip bags, ping pong balls, balls with bells in them, a piece of rope, a big stuffed fish thing they can hold onto and kick, a fuzzy squirrel with a bell inside, etc, etc, etc. We have more hidden away and we rotate the toys. There is a cardboard box with cutouts to play in. All kinds of stuff laying around for cats to play with.

So which toy is currently June Bugs favorite?

The filthy cheap plastic strainer out of the shower, of course!

Lilia's fur is absolutely gorgeous and looks so shiny. And she seems like such a soft hearted little sweetheart I'm really glad she found her way to you and your wife. Also I love her name (my name is Lili) :p And of course they play with what isn't theirs! Haha my kitties do the same thing! They have puzzle toys, and scratchers, and I even soak their toys in catnip but they end up digging straws out of the trash or taking my sink plug :crazy:

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lol - it's always great to read a June Bug update. Do you think she would have been happier if you had taken her to the vet as well, without getting an exam?
Interesting thought! June Bug is timid and she would have been a little scared. But I suspect you are right: it probably would have been less scary than being home all alone wondering where everybody went. June Bug always watches Makena and follows his lead, so she would have just stuck near him.

The problem is that we never put our cats in a carrier. We have a carrier in case we need it, but they have been trained to wear a harness and stay on our shoulder. Don't think the two of us could safely handle three cats.

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lilia's fur is absolutely gorgeous and looks so shiny. And she seems like such a soft hearted little sweetheart I'm really glad she found her way to you and your wife. Also I love her name (my name is Lili) :p And of course they play with what isn't theirs! Haha my kitties do the same thing! They have puzzle toys, and scratchers, and I even soak their toys in catnip but they end up digging straws out of the trash or taking my sink plug :crazy:
Lilia is a very sweet and very timid cat. She has the Bengal glitter and really lights up in sunlight. Her fur is very fine and soft.

A sink plug? Probably tastes like our shower strainer, all full of soap. You have to wonder what the attraction could be... especially when there are catnip toys around

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lilia is a very sweet and very timid cat. She has the Bengal glitter and really lights up in sunlight. Her fur is very fine and soft.

A sink plug? Probably tastes like our shower strainer, all full of soap. You have to wonder what the attraction could be... especially when there are catnip toys around

She is just gorgeous and I have to say that I read through your whole thread with June Bug and I absolutely love where you guys live! the cats are so lucky to have all that nature and forest to explore and I love Makena's super long retractable lead. Lilia is absolutely gorgeous I am so glad she has you and your wife. And yes I agree I think maybe the fascination is they might know its something they aren't supposed to be playing with which makes it all the more fun! :lol:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really enjoyed reading this entire thread! All your cats are wonderful. You and your wife are wonderful people. Your wife seems like she is a "cat whisperer." She has a very gentle and calming aura. It's no wonder Lilia goes to her to feel safe.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
bengalcatman bengalcatman : Just found this thread today, when I followed your link in the post from the new member who will soon be adopting a Bengal.

I smiled as I read all the adventure of June Bug as she grew from a kitten to a young cat. :lovecat: And was amazed at the close relationship between her and Makena. :catlove: I cried when you found her mom. :sniffle: And was shocked at how quickly Makena killed the groundhog(?) :eek2: Maybe someday Lilia will be brave enough to join in on some of the antics with her siblings. :catrub:

I loved your pictures, as well as your narrative, and agree with the the members who thought you should look into writing a children's book.

So... any updates on your feline family?

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
bengalcatman bengalcatman : Just found this thread today, when I followed your link in the post from the new member who will soon be adopting a Bengal.

I smiled as I read all the adventure of June Bug as she grew from a kitten to a young cat. :lovecat: And was amazed at the close relationship between her and Makena. :catlove: I cried when you found her mom. :sniffle: And was shocked at how quickly Makena killed the groundhog(?) :eek2: Maybe someday Lilia will be brave enough to join in on some of the antics with her siblings. :catrub:

I loved your pictures, as well as your narrative, and agree with the the members who thought you should look into writing a children's book.

So... any updates on your feline family?
Glad you enjoyed the tale so far! This thread is fun for my wife and I to revisit, so many little things to recall.....what fun we have had with June Bug. She has brought a lot of joy to our lives.

June Bug's feral Mum was buried just off of a trail that runs through our woods. When out walking Makena, we often gather a little handful of wildflowers to place there. A silly habit perhaps: but we like to recall her, and how pretty she was, from the few times we saw her. And we like to keep in mind where our little June Bug came from.

That ground hog incident really impressed me. I am pretty sure no one wants to hear the details of how Makena did it (a little too graphic) but I have a new appreciation of what a cat is capable of!

Lilia is getting better with June Bug. Actually, having June Bug around has done her some good. Lilia sat and watched June Bug play with her string toys quite often. I guess it looked like fun because now Lilia asks us to play too. Now that Lilia is playing with us more, we are beginning to think her eyesight is not very good, she seems to need a lot of light and does not do well with smaller toys. We will have her checked out next time she is at the vets office. In the meantime, we placed a few nightlights for her so she can get around better at night. The nightlights seem to work, she used to cry at night sometimes and this stopped after the nightlights were placed.

June bug is doing great!

She is curious about everything and loves to "help."

Cleaning the woodstove

The second I turned my back she climbed in, then tracked ash all over...

For reasons that completely elude me, she LOVES shoes and likes to stick her head in them. If we are missing a shoe, we usually find it down in the basement. She carries them downstairs for some reason..

June Bug and Makena remain the closest of friends. As she has done all her life, she naps each afternoon with Makena.

June Bug often follows Makena around, and he shows her all sorts of things...

We tossed some packaging material on the floor and Makena climbed in

Then they took turns hiding in it and pouncing on the other from the "secret hiding spot"

I am thinking about making the window perch larger, Makena always used to use it and now June Bug is on it all the time.

Then I think they might try to play up there. If one tumbles off... its 8 or 9 feet down, not a problem for Makena but I am afraid June Bug would get hurt.

Lilia is not as annoyed by June Bug. Progress is slow, but they seem to get along better

This is the "if you have time could you please get a string toy and play with me?" look.

I can almost never say "no."

June Bugs weight is still a bit of a problem. We worked out a plan with some help from our vet, and June Bug is slowly losing weight. More about this next time.