Abandoned Kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
June Bug's Holiday

We hang a stocking filled with toys and treats for each cat on the holiday. We don't put any catnip toys in till the morning of the holiday because those little sensitive noses and inquisitive paws might be tempted....

Makena and Lilia both sense when something different, and something just for them, is happening..... June Bug simply follows Makena's lead. My wife Deb got their stockings down and helped each cat with their new goodies

The bond of trust and love between Makena and Deb is amazing. Makena patiently waits as Deb takes a turn with each cat. When Makena's turn comes he carefully examines whatever she gives him.

June Bug was very excited, and the pile of new cat stuff was really fun

She was especially fond of a little container of high end catnip! She wanted to take it and tear it open. To prevent a mess we had to hide it (its for making new toys and refilling old toys)

June Bug and Lilia don't always get along, but they put aside their differences to explore the new toys and treats. They even played together a little bit.

We put away the treats and picked up most of the toys, leaving each cat with a favorite or two. Warm by the wood stove, they played contentedly with their new toys all morning. Note how June Bug imitates what Makena is doing.

We sat and had breakfast, then exchanged our gifts. The whole time we were entertained by Makena, Lilia and June Bug playing with all their new toys.

We count ourselves lucky for the company of such well behaved cats.

After losing her Mum at such a young age, June Bug was fortunate to find a home. In the same manner we were fortunate to have adopted such a happy, sweet and fun loving kitten.

June Bug had a great holiday.

Deb, myself, Makena, Lilia and June Bug hope all of our friends here on The Cat Site had a wonderful holiday!

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know why I stopped getting notices that there were new posts for this thread, but I just caught up since the end of August & am so thrilled to read about June Bug's growth. Add my name to those who feel you'd be a natural writing a children's book about her adventures. Actually it would make a great series. The first one would be when you heard her outside in the rain & rescued her. I haven't re-read this thread at all, but I remember your photos from back then. Every post you make with photos could be a complete book. I think the actual photos are so remarkable, it would be best for you to use them, although I'd love to see what a talented artist could do with them as inspiration.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know why I stopped getting notices that there were new posts for this thread, but I just caught up since the end of August & am so thrilled to read about June Bug's growth. Add my name to those who feel you'd be a natural writing a children's book about her adventures. Actually it would make a great series. The first one would be when you heard her outside in the rain & rescued her. I haven't re-read this thread at all, but I remember your photos from back then. Every post you make with photos could be a complete book. I think the actual photos are so remarkable, it would be best for you to use them, although I'd love to see what a talented artist could do with them as inspiration.
:yeah: book,book,book,book....
:( There are a lot of posts I don't get notices about unless I've got them on e-mail notices and I already have too many e-mails...:cloudy:

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just two pics of June Bug and a "heads up"

This can't be comfortable - but she slept for two hours in this position!

June Bug's new friend...

Heads up!
Art Motion and Sound (thats me!) is giving away a cat scratcher of your choice here in the The Cat Lounge thread. Join in the fun and good luck!

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Just two pics of June Bug and a "heads up"

This can't be comfortable - but she slept for two hours in this position!

June Bug's new friend...

Heads up!
Art Motion and Sound (thats me!) is giving away a cat scratcher of your choice here in the The Cat Lounge thread. Join in the fun and good luck!
The first one would go great in the 'Yoga and Gymnastics - Everybody welcome ' thread

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With the return of warm weather we have started taking June Bug out for walks again. We took her out a few times over the winter, but she didn't much care for the snow and cold. Makena goes out all year but as he has gotten older he skips the cold days and deep snow.

It was 70 degrees and sunny today. We brought June Bug along with Makena to walk...

June Bug found lots of things to investigate along the way

She is especially curious about holes in trees or crevasses between rocks

They explored a few things together

June Bug wanted to climb a tree, but she was a bit nervous and would tentatively climb just a few feet before hopping down

Makena watched June Bug's climbing efforts... then trotted over and scaled about 15 feet up right near June Bug. With his strong forelegs and long claws he shoots right up in a quick burst of energy

June Bug watched, fascinated

Watching Makena teach June Bug is truly amazing.

June Bug tried climbing a few more times, getting up a little higher each time. She lacks the confidence and it looks like she tends to hold herself too tightly to the tree. Might be that she needs to build a bit more strength in her forelegs too. If Makena could talk, I am sure he could us exactly......

June Bug has a long way to go in learning to hike with us. She gets herself tangled often and has not figured when she has to follow us and when she is free to lead and explore.

Makena knows all the commands and is easy to take anywhere. He is also much larger and able to get through or over big rocks, puddles and brush. June Bug is learning, but lacks the confidence and doesn't know quite how to work with us when hiking. She often gets tangled in brush or frightened by having to make big jumps or go through water.

She will figure it all out with time. In any case, she is having fun and we (Makena, Deb and myself) enjoy having her along.

It is really fun to see June Bug and Makena together

I would think that Makena might get annoyed by the slower pace and shorter walk with June Bug, but he really doesn't seem to mind and watches over her constantly

Makena just scratch marked this log, so of course June Bug figured that was the thing to do...

Deb and I found a pleasant place to sit and talk. Makena was all too happy to sit with us and enjoy the warm day. There was just a hint of spring's smell in the air, and Makena knows this means more and longer hikes are coming..

June Bug was worn out and had to be carried home. I suspect she gets worn out from being excited more than the physical aspect of a walk.

When we got home, Makena stayed outside with Deb as she started the grill for dinner. This is a ritual he does all summer long. We tie him out in the courtyard, he sits and watches birds, has his dinner and enjoys the days end.

I brought June Bug in and she found the couch...

June Bug is about 9 months old now. Not quite a kitten anymore, but not full grown yet either. She still eats more than the other two cats combined, so she is still growing. She loves to play with us and Makena, but she is slowly becoming more cuddly, often giving a soft "coo" when she wants to be petted.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
With the return of warm weather we have started taking June Bug out for walks again. We took her out a few times over the winter, but she didn't much care for the snow and cold. Makena goes out all year but as he has gotten older he skips the cold days and deep snow.

It was 70 degrees and sunny today. We brought June Bug along with Makena to walk...

June Bug found lots of things to investigate along the way

She is especially curious about holes in trees or crevasses between rocks

They explored a few things together

June Bug wanted to climb a tree, but she was a bit nervous and would tentatively climb just a few feet before hopping down

watched June Bug's climbing efforts... then trotted over and scaled about 15 feet up right near June Bug. With his strong forelegs and long claws he shoots right up in a quick burst of energy

June Bug watched, fascinated

Watching Makena teach June Bug is truly amazing.

June Bug tried climbing a few more times, getting up a little higher each time. She lacks the confidence and it looks like she tends to hold herself too tightly to the tree. Might be that she needs to build a bit more strength in her forelegs too. If Makena could talk, I am sure he could us exactly......

June Bug has a long way to go in learning to hike with us. She gets herself tangled often and has not figured when she has to follow us and when she is free to lead and explore.

Makena knows all the commands and is easy to take anywhere. He is also much larger and able to get through or over big rocks, puddles and brush. June Bug is learning, but lacks the confidence and doesn't know quite how to work with us when hiking. She often gets tangled in brush or frightened by having to make big jumps or go through water.

She will figure it all out with time. In any case, she is having fun and we (Makena, Deb and myself) enjoy having her along.

It is really fun to see June Bug and Makena together

I would think that Makena might get annoyed by the slower pace and shorter walk with June Bug, but he really doesn't seem to mind and watches over her constantly

Makena just scratch marked this log, so of course June Bug figured that was the thing to do...

Deb and I found a pleasant place to sit and talk. Makena was all too happy to sit with us and enjoy the warm day. There was just a hint of spring's smell in the air, and Makena knows this means more and longer hikes are coming..

June Bug was worn out and had to be carried home. I suspect she gets worn out from being excited more than the physical aspect of a walk.

When we got home, Makena stayed outside with Deb as she started the grill for dinner. This is a ritual he does all summer long. We tie him out in the courtyard, he sits and watches birds, has his dinner and enjoys the days end.

I brought June Bug in and she found the couch...

June Bug is about 9 months old now. Not quite a kitten anymore, but not full grown yet either. She still eats more than the other two cats combined, so she is still growing. She loves to play with us and Makena, but she is slowly becoming more cuddly, often giving a soft "coo" when she wants to be petted.

:hellocomputer:As usual your pictures and prose make us feel like we are there with you all. So many photos for other threads too. Thank Heavens Makena heard her crys for help that night. And of course Bless you and Deb for saving this beautiful little girl and for allowing us to go along for the ride.:kiss: :touched: :cheerleader::goldstar::wave2::bouquet:

Last edited:

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
June Bug is growing up so fast! She’s beautiful!
She is getting sooo big . I love her
Deb and I keep recalling how little she was. I probably said this before, but it seems not long ago that I would drop her in the pocket of my cargo shorts to take her outside.

We had kittens in our home when I was young, so I know they grow fast.

Yet be it age or life experience, I seem to have acquired a deeper appreciation of how life grows and changes. Accompanying this; a profound sense of wonder.

From the cutest ball of fuzz I ever saw emerges a pretty little ginger girl!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whist at work yesterday I re read the beginning of this thread . I read it whilst it was happening last year however wanted to remind myself of the beginning and she was so tiny and still can’t believe how you found her and she also ended up in an opposite place her 2 litter mates . Amazing .

I’ve had Gracie since she was a tiny bull of fur - I used to pick her up by the scruff as you do . Now I need both arms - she is so big and heavy x

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is June bug and co? They going out more now weather (sort of ) better ?

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How is June bug and co? They going out more now weather (sort of ) better ?
Funny you should bring this up. I just got some new pics to share :)

June Bug is doing wonderful. She has grown to a beautiful cat. June Bug remains a joy in our home. Always happy and playful, she greets us at the door with a musical coo, comes when she is called, is loving but never needy or in the way.

June Bug was likely born in the middle of May: she is approaching one year old. She is getting out for the occasional walk with us as weather allows.

She does not demand a walk as Makena does. Though she is not the consummate bold explorer that Makena is, she enjoys her time outdoors

On this day, the weather was mild and warm, both cats simply wished to be out and enjoy the day

They did conspire to investigate the roots of a storm toppled tree

One of the things that still amazes me is her relationship with Makena. She can ambush him, bite his ear, wake him up and annoy him to no end, yet he still tolerates it all patiently.

After our walk in the woods, we all went to our pond to sit.

June Bug was fascinated by a school of minnows that hung around looking for a dash of fish flakes

As a tiny kitten, June Bug spent many hours exploring around the pond. I often wonder if she has recall of those times. She mostly stayed away from the water, and never got more than ten or fifteen feet from where we sat. Even when she had worn herself out and couldn't keep her little eyes open, she would cry when we gathered her up to bring her in.

As a tiny kitten, June Bug worked hard to develop her "big cat" skills: climbing, swatting, running and jumping. I suppose one of the attractions of being outside was the never ending assortment of places she could test out her growing repertoire of cat skills.

She sure got the jumping thing figured out

5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Launch!

Birds frequently fly in to bathe in the pond. They are totally surprised to find people and cats in "their" pond. The birds don't seem to notice us until they are quite close. The sudden appearance of low flying birds really catches June Bug attention

I don't suppose June Bug will become the hiking and exploring companion that Makena is. But my wife and I look forward to many lazy afternoons enjoying June Bug's company by the pond.

A favorite chair provides the ideal spot to nap after outdoor adventure. I am not sure I have ever been quite this relaxed....

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So happy that you checked in with more June Bug photos and updates !!! I was just wondering about her the other day....

An early HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!! to Miss June Bug, she just gets more beautiful as she grows...