Abandoned Kitten

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny you should bring this up. I just got some new pics to share :)

June Bug is doing wonderful. She has grown to a beautiful cat. June Bug remains a joy in our home. Always happy and playful, she greets us at the door with a musical coo, comes when she is called, is loving but never needy or in the way.

June Bug was likely born in the middle of May: she is approaching one year old. She is getting out for the occasional walk with us as weather allows.

She does not demand a walk as Makena does. Though she is not the consummate bold explorer that Makena is, she enjoys her time outdoors

On this day, the weather was mild and warm, both cats simply wished to be out and enjoy the day

They did conspire to investigate the roots of a storm toppled tree

One of the things that still amazes me is her relationship with Makena. She can ambush him, bite his ear, wake him up and annoy him to no end, yet he still tolerates it all patiently.

After our walk in the woods, we all went to our pond to sit.

June Bug was fascinated by a school of minnows that hung around looking for a dash of fish flakes

As a tiny kitten, June Bug spent many hours exploring around the pond. I often wonder if she has recall of those times. She mostly stayed away from the water, and never got more than ten or fifteen feet from where we sat. Even when she had worn herself out and couldn't keep her little eyes open, she would cry when we gathered her up to bring her in.

As a tiny kitten, June Bug worked hard to develop her "big cat" skills: climbing, swatting, running and jumping. I suppose one of the attractions of being outside was the never ending assortment of places she could test out her growing repertoire of cat skills.

She sure got the jumping thing figured out

5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Launch!

Birds frequently fly in to bathe in the pond. They are totally surprised to find people and cats in "their" pond. The birds don't seem to notice us until they are quite close. The sudden appearance of low flying birds really catches June Bug attention

I don't suppose June Bug will become the hiking and exploring companion that Makena is. But my wife and I look forward to many lazy afternoons enjoying June Bug's company by the pond.

A favorite chair provides the ideal spot to nap after outdoor adventure. I am not sure I have ever been quite this relaxed....
Make sure to post the beautiful June Bug on
♥ The ♥ Birthday ♥ Thread ♥
Actually all three of your beautiful furbabys Birthdays.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
June Bug is now a year old

Today, Deb and I reflected on what sort of a cat June Bug has become

She likes to be held..

But not for too long...

Though cuddling is on her terms, it is not unusual to wake up and find her snuggled up to, or on top of you.

June Bug comes when she is called and she knows the words "snack" and "toy"

She favors a window that overlooks our courtyard

She watches the birds and the chipmunks with great interest

She loves to play and can entertain herself for hours

She often carries her toys about the house. It is not unusual to find one of her toys at the foot of our bed: she often brings her toy up to quietly play while we sleep

Though she is really no longer a kitten, we often call her "kitten." It seems like yesterday that I brought her in on a rainy night... cold and hungry and weighing hardly a pound. She now weighs about 12 1/2 pounds (as near as I can tell: she won't sit still on our scale.)

We can't believe how fast the time has passed

Today June Bug is independent: she doesn't always follow us around the house. But she always greets us at the door, often with a happy "coo"
She is inquisitive and likes to try to participate in anything we do, pushing her pink nose into plumbing repairs, cooking, gardening etc.

Though she protests mightily about having her harness put on, she likes to venture outside with us, particularly if Makena is along.

June bug is a little on the chubby side, hard to believe given her level of activity. She is best friends with Makena, and he still pins her down and cleans her

Our little girl grew up fast

Happy birthday June Bug

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
June Bug is now a year old

Today, Deb and I reflected on what sort of a cat June Bug has become

She likes to be held..

But not for too long...

Though cuddling is on her terms, it is not unusual to wake up and find her snuggled up to, or on top of you.

June Bug comes when she is called and she knows the words "snack" and "toy"

She favors a window that overlooks our courtyard

She watches the birds and the chipmunks with great interest

She loves to play and can entertain herself for hours

She often carries her toys about the house. It is not unusual to find one of her toys at the foot of our bed: she often brings her toy up to quietly play while we sleep

Though she is really no longer a kitten, we often call her "kitten." It seems like yesterday that I brought her in on a rainy night... cold and hungry and weighing hardly a pound. She now weighs about 12 1/2 pounds (as near as I can tell: she won't sit still on our scale.)

We can't believe how fast the time has passed

Today June Bug is independent: she doesn't always follow us around the house. But she always greets us at the door, often with a happy "coo"
She is inquisitive and likes to try to participate in anything we do, pushing her pink nose into plumbing repairs, cooking, gardening etc.

Though she protests mightily about having her harness put on, she likes to venture outside with us, particularly if Makena is along.

June bug is a little on the chubby side, hard to believe given her level of activity. She is best friends with Makena, and he still pins her down and cleans her

Our little girl grew up fast

Happy birthday June Bug
:clap::salam::clap2: :heartshape::catlove::lovecat2:

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
H A P P Y B I R T H D A Y !!!

June Bug, you are one sweet kitten !

I can't wait to see what you get up to next !? :winkcat:

Lisa and Roxie, who has the whole summer to wait before her Birthday....

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy birthday June bug !!! I still call Gracie a kitten now and again and she’s 2 in September.

Love your family and the stories x

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Happy Birthday June Bug! I hope you have a lot more in the future & keep your adventurous spirit.

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found June Bug on the 6th of June last year. Hence her name: June Bug.

Some recent pics of the little bug that showed up in June.....

June Bug has become rather overweight, we are puzzled by this. She gets good quality food and plenty of exercise. She is not bored: she plays with the other cats and we play with her every day. She has never been without food, and the other cats are completely happy to share at feeding time (so she is not eating out of fear.) We have always left food down, but now we pick it up after meals. She is due for a vet visit so we will hopefully get some insight and ideas. Weight Watchers apparently only works with people....:)

June Bug and Mum

"Yes I love you, now put me down so I can go play with Makena!"

Bath time..

My little sweetheart!

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Funny when Gracie turned one she was a bit chubby ! I like you was a bit puzzeled ! She does seemed to have leaned out a bit now as she is reaches her second !
That's interesting, I sure hope June Bug thins out with time. Maybe she is just used to eating a lot to fuel rapid kitten growth?

We really don't want to have to monitor her intake.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just cut down on her treats for a few weeks and that seemed to do it ! We play catch for a few mins in the evening (well I throw , she runs after the sponge and waits for me to then collect it and throw again ) - a cat’s version of catch

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I just cut down on her treats for a few weeks and that seemed to do it ! We play catch for a few mins in the evening (well I throw , she runs after the sponge and waits for me to then collect it and throw again ) - a cat’s version of catch
That's how Gypsy plays catch too. Obviously the fun is in the pounce. :lol:

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cucumella used to send the ball back to me 4 times and THAT was it. She seemed to say "I HAVE played, haven't I? Now let's wait for next time" Sombra loves to run after it and keeps it in her mouth so that I have to get it from her and throw it again. With her it is me who gets tired first. But Cucumella was 16 years old and Sombra is 4.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
our DeeDee became chunky around her 1 year point -- looked like a duck pin bowling ball in her middle area (she's very petite anyway). i do think she was just used to eating like a growing young kitten. so i cut back a bit on her meals, and she trimmed down slowly to her current 'svelte' -edness. she's healthy, and at a good weight now. :purr:

now our Punky (who is the same age as DeeDee) has slowly cut back on the amount she eats on her own, and over time. she's healthy and at a good weight. :runningcat:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would rather see them a little chubby when they get a little older. Something to keep them going when old age causes them to stop eating or get picky. My Burt was always 16 pounds and then a 'perfect' weight of 11 when he died.....:(

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found June Bug on the 6th of June last year. Hence her name: June Bug.

Some recent pics of the little bug that showed up in June.....

June Bug has become rather overweight, we are puzzled by this. She gets good quality food and plenty of exercise. She is not bored: she plays with the other cats and we play with her every day. She has never been without food, and the other cats are completely happy to share at feeding time (so she is not eating out of fear.) We have always left food down, but now we pick it up after meals. She is due for a vet visit so we will hopefully get some insight and ideas. Weight Watchers apparently only works with people....:)

June Bug and Mum

"Yes I love you, now put me down so I can go play with Makena!"

Bath time..

My little sweetheart!
That's interesting, I sure hope June Bug thins out with time. Maybe she is just used to eating a lot to fuel rapid kitten growth?

We really don't want to have to monitor her intake.
June Bug is such a happy soul, look at those eyes! :hyper: :redheartpump:

I hope her upcoming vet visit goes well!

If you have been feeding her only dry food (and perhaps free-feeding at that), maybe it's time to consider a different route. She's pretty young and energetic still to get on a good 'diet' plan, if your vet thinks that's the way to go! A lot of cats find that dry food is very, very addictive and they can tend to overeat. Also, some cats are more prone to obesity when on only dry food, what with the extra carbohydrates &etc. My first two cats ate a lot of dry food in the 1st half of their lives and, sadly, both became overweight with associated health issues. With my latest cat, I've purposely switched to canned foods and I find it is much easier to control the carbs and extra fillers... and hence, easier to control my cat's weight. The Cat Nutrition forum here has a lot of good information within it!

Happy Gotcha Month, June Bug!
My cat Milly's Gotcha Day was June 20th :cheerleader: