A Heartfelt Thank-you And A Request For Ideas For High Calorie Foods For An End Of Life Cat.

fuzzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
Years ago (2014?) I had cat who was diagnosed with lymphoma. The vet said he had less than a year to live and put him on a high dosage of prednisolone (forgive me, I never spell it correctly).

Because of the suggestions from TCS members I was able to better navigate Rikki's health issues. I learned that the pred. had thrown Rikki into diabetes. I learned that there is probably a connection between inflammatory bowel disease and lymphoma in cats. I researched foods, both for his diabetes and for his inflammatory bowel disease and was able to stabilize his stomach and got him off insulin. The advice I received from this site made a huge difference.

He is now 17 and has been losing weight. He is very thin and weak.... I have had lab work done and other than his kidneys are beginning to lose function nothing jumped out. I am assuming the lymphoma is beginning assert itself but at this point I am not going to put him through any invasive medical testing or procedures. For the time he seems comfortable. He seems happy and social. He is still a bit of brat, knocking things off my dresser when he wants attention etc.

I would like to figure what can I feed him that will give him more calories. In terms of his IBD, I have learned that I have to stay with the no-grains foods. Anything else will give him gas and diarrhea (and he loves Fancy Feast). He does well with the Instinct foods or the freeze dried raw. He loves chicken so I boil up a whole chicken once a week and mix it in his food.

What about using kitten food? Anything, I can add to increase his calories?

Thanks all,
Fuzzy Cat

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can feed kitten food. Not only will it increase his calories, it will increase the nutrients he's getting. Could you also add additional feeding times to his routine? He could eat the same food, just eat more frequently.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use products like nutrical gel. Your vet can give you prescription Hills Urgent Care a/d canned it's calorie dense. There are also canned liquid supplements for cats that are sick. Much like the human nutrition shakes. If he likes kitten food let him eat kitten food. In fact without making him ill just let him enjoy life and his favorite things. Stress over change of diet can be as bad as not eating enough.