6 year old Morty isn't doing so well

crouton

TCS Member
Young Cat
Reaction score
One of my cats reacts to turkey liver but not turkey regular meat. It’s weird.
There is this brand I saw recently

And there’s always evangers which does have guar gum at the end. I think also maybe red barn or ziwi peak had a pork pate. Ziwi peak does have mussels though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beholder

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Reaction score
One of my cats reacts to turkey liver but not turkey regular meat. It’s weird.
There is this brand I saw recently
[/URL]

And there’s always evangers which does have guar gum at the end. I think also maybe red barn or ziwi peak had a pork pate. Ziwi peak does have mussels though.
I saw that brand as well. Just popped up on google ads today out of no where hah. Thanks for the suggestions though. I think I might just buy the pork trim, heart, and liver from hare-today and cook it up and put it in my food processor. The fat percentage is 80/20 which is still high and not good for IBD cats, but at least he likes it. I'm weary of introducing too many foods while his gut is still healing though so I may wait on that. The only reason I added duck was because he was tired of chicken and turkey seemed to be problematic. Right now he's getting a concoction of alnutrin, S Boulardii, collagen and pharm fish oil in the cooked meat. After reading about it on the IBD raw cats site I'm thinking about introducing slippery elm once he's through with the meds he's on, as well as a probiotic. That seems like a lot to use at once but I'm not seeing any possible interactions other than with medications.

Side note on the Evangers pork, they have a line for cats and dogs that includes limited ingredients and almost all pork. At a glance it looks great and is pretty cheap, but in the fine print they say it's only meant as supplemental feeding or a treat. They don't fortify it with the nutrients cats need, which makes me angry because they clearly market it to cats.

crouton

TCS Member
Young Cat
Reaction score
I saw that brand as well. Just popped up on google ads today out of no where hah. Thanks for the suggestions though. I think I might just buy the pork trim, heart, and liver from hare-today and cook it up and put it in my food processor. The fat percentage is 80/20 which is still high and not good for IBD cats, but at least he likes it. I'm weary of introducing too many foods while his gut is still healing though so I may wait on that. The only reason I added duck was because he was tired of chicken and turkey seemed to be problematic. Right now he's getting a concoction of alnutrin, S Boulardii, collagen and pharm fish oil in the cooked meat. After reading about it on the IBD raw cats site I'm thinking about introducing slippery elm once he's through with the meds he's on, as well as a probiotic. That seems like a lot to use at once but I'm not seeing any possible interactions other than with medications.

Side note on the Evangers pork, they have a line for cats and dogs that includes limited ingredients and almost all pork. At a glance it looks great and is pretty cheap, but in the fine print they say it's only meant as supplemental feeding or a treat. They don't fortify it with the nutrients cats need, which makes me angry because they clearly market it to cats.
True I remember seeing that on the evangers, but the limited ingredients make it good to try for allergies or sensitivities on a short term basis.
Does he not have issues with fish oil if you said he has fish issues? Have you consider something like the 1TDC instead which is beef tallow based

Beholder

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Reaction score
True I remember seeing that on the evangers, but the limited ingredients make it good to try for allergies or sensitivities on a short term basis.
Does he not have issues with fish oil if you said he has fish issues? Have you consider something like the 1TDC instead which is beef tallow based
That's the problem though. For many cats an elimination diet takes months to see the results. It just depends on the cat. :(

He has problems with fish oil if it's not pharmaceutical grade. Most cat food companies (both high and low end) use cheap fish/salmon/tuna/krill/etc. oil. The cheaper oils are more likely to not be completely protein free. For cats with mild fish allergies this usually isn't an issue, but Morty's got a bad one and will react from those added to cat foods. I use the Iceland Pure Unscented Pharmaceutical Grade Sardine & Anchovy Oil and have had no issues.

I looked up the 1TDC and while it comes from beef it also has fish oil added. It looks like one of the main ingredients is gelatin which is what I'm currently using collagen for. I figured we could just skip the gelatin and go right for the main ingredient that comes from it.

crouton

TCS Member
Young Cat
Reaction score
I’m starting 1TDC now for my cats oral health we shall see! One of my cat’s vomits up any tuna.

Mrsty1203

TCS Member
Young Cat
Reaction score
That's interesting. When Morty first developed food allergies my vet told me to give him pepcid to help with acid buildup but it didn't seem to do much for him. I still have the bottle though so we can see if it helps with his meds.
I always like when a vet explains their train of thought at least... then it sounds reasonable.

Beholder

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Reaction score
I always like when a vet explains their train of thought at least... then it sounds reasonable.
Unless they say what the most recent emergency vet said, "We cook our food, so obviously they need cooked food." She said this when I mention dehydrated/freeze dried treats and why she thought it was the reason Morty got sick...even though no infection was ever found. :rolleyes: After paying 4000 for a potentially unnecessary vet trip, the last thing I needed was to be blamed for it all.

Beholder

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Reaction score
Morty Update:

No vomit yesterday, although we didn't give him the antibiotic. I think he has about one or two doses of it left, but yesterday he decided he wasn't very hungry, at least not for his food. I didn't feel comfortable giving it to him on a slightly empty stomach so I didn't. He turned his nose up to both chicken and duck, and has decided he hates Tiki Cat entirely. Actually, Po and Goose aren't fans anymore either, which makes me question if they changed their formula. I cooked up some venison + heart/liver/supplements and the smell was soooooo much better than the duck. My apartment didn't reek of liver, it just smelled like ground beef which was substantially better. IMO liver smells like a weird mix of citrus and blood, and it's so pungent it lingers. My mom told me to cook it with onions 🤦‍♀️ to reduce the smell. When I told her cats can't have onions and it can kill them she said to just remove them after cooking 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️. She has dogs so I'll give her a pass (although I don't think they can have onion either....), but I'm obviously not going to do that.

Morty's stools are pretty solid now. I think the addition of the s. boulardii in the cooked food is helping. I didn't particularly want to introduce ANOTHER protein, but he's left me no choice. I'm sure if I left chicken out and didn't give him anything else he would eventually eat some, but I don't feel right doing that. He really enjoyed the venison the first time he had it, he inhaled it. But the second time he had it he didn't want it so much. He's always done this though, he'll like it again if I wait about a week to give it to him. He and Po really like variety in wet foods, which makes sense. Below is a picture of Morty eyeing Goose's food that he isn't allowed to have. He likes to sit like that sometimes and be a weirdo.

IMG-9049.jpg
IMG-9047.JPG

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Reaction score
Krista didn't care for venison, boar, beef, or any of the red meats. I happily would have fed her bison burgers from the freezer section if she did. Even boutique beef would have been cheaper than buying two fryer rabbits for 1 lbs of leg meat. Then again, I never cooked the meat for her. I tried once or twice but she didn't care for the texture. I wouldn't learn until later that if I froze the meat after cooking it, it would grind a whole lot easier.

Maybe you can just call it done on the antibiotic if he's down to the last dose in the bottle. He's been on antibiotics for so long, I don't think he's going to get that much more out of one or two more doses.

Those look like healthy and happy cats. 😻

Beholder

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Reaction score
Krista didn't care for venison, boar, beef, or any of the red meats. I happily would have fed her bison burgers from the freezer section if she did. Even boutique beef would have been cheaper than buying two fryer rabbits for 1 lbs of leg meat. Then again, I never cooked the meat for her. I tried once or twice but she didn't care for the texture. I wouldn't learn until later that if I froze the meat after cooking it, it would grind a whole lot easier.

Maybe you can just call it done on the antibiotic if he's down to the last dose in the bottle. He's been on antibiotics for so long, I don't think he's going to get that much more out of one or two more doses.

Those look like healthy and happy cats. 😻
I'm not surprised. I've noticed a lot of cats don't like red meat, which makes sense since they probably wouldn't have eaten them in the wild. Morty isn't a fan of beef and since Goose is allergic I don't mind keeping it out of the apartment, but pork and venison seem to be his favorites above all others so far. Rabbit is probably his least favorite protein of all...even though that's what would have been eaten in the wild. He makes no sense to me sometimes.

I can tell he doesn't love cooked meats as much as raw, and when I first tried he basically ignored them. When I started blending them in the food processor into a pate texture is when he go would finally go near them, which is great for me because it makes it easier to supplement.

I agree with ending the antibiotic as well. He hasn't eaten much again today so I wouldn't want him to have it anyway. And the picture can be deceiving, but Po is about 3 pounds bigger than Morty, and he's a smaller cat that should weigh less than Morty. But they are very happy. :) I'd include one with Goose, but Morty and Po don't especially like him. They don't attack him or anything, they just hate Goose jumping on them all the time so they avoid him.

Beholder

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Reaction score
Morty Update:

He's been especially picky today. Between 6am and 9pm he only ate about about a tablespoon or two. I gave him Evangers canned duck (formulated for cats), Tiki Cat chicken mousse, cooked venison, a chicken pouch Slide & Serve by Weruva, and I even tried a lamb pouch from Koha, which he has never had before. What I will say is from the duck and quick lamb trials, my cats HATE Koha. Morty and Po will not touch it and Goose will eat it only if he's hungry enough.

I threw the antibiotic away since there were only a couple days left and I knew I couldn't give it to Morty tonight. I was really close to giving him more of the appetite stimulant but I decided to try one more thing. I cooked up more of the duck/heart/liver and added the regular supplements as well as a probiotic since he's off the antibiotics. He hasn't had freshly cooked duck in at least a day and a half and at this point I was out of options. He took to it immediately!! The 1.5 day break was apparently enough for him to want to eat it again. I'm watching him now to see if he vomits or gets any nausea, but for now I'm just seeing him inhale it. Tomorrow I will look for some pork to give him, in hopes that a steady variety will help him eat. I 100% know this is the wrong thing to do when a cat has allergies, as well as many unknown/unexplained allergies, but I don't know what else to do. He lost the little extra weight he had on him when he went into the vet and he can't stand to lose more. At this point I would rather him eat a ton and vomit a couple times a week than eat very little.