6 month old wet+dry??

Siamese-please24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok. Have a 6 month old kitten. She has been On wet food since we found her when she was itty bitty. Well I want to transition her to dry + wet. Prefer more dry than wet. I’m at a loss on how much to feed her. She isn’t fixed yet. Few more weeks. Package says 1 3oz can + 1/2 Cup dry. That seems like a little to much to me!!!! I have been using wellness brand kitten wet now adding wellness core kitten dry

I can’t just leave it sit out and let her eat. The dog will finish it for her soon as she turns her back. Lol

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always free fed my cats, kittens and adults dry food, Wet food once a day. Until your cat reaches one year of age, she is still considered a kitten. Feed her the kitten version of both wet & dry. You can not over feed a kitten. First they are growing, and they have a higher activity level than adult cats. they need lots of calories and protein.

Many TCS members have observed that the quantity instructions the food manufacturers provide are actually on the light side. There is a rule of thumb about feeding kittens: If there are no leftovers, you are not feeding them enough!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Since she’s still growing, you can feed her as much as she wants (as long as she’s not the scarf ‘n barf type). Once she hits a year of age, then you will need to pay more attention to calories, but your vet can help you with that when the time comes. For the dry food, you could invest in a microchip feeder to prevent your dog from getting into it, or just do meal feedings, if that’s been working for you for the wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Siamese-please24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have always free fed my cats, kittens and adults dry food, Wet food once a day. Until your cat reaches one year of age, she is still considered a kitten. Feed her the kitten version of both wet & dry. You can not over feed a kitten. First they are growing, and they have a higher activity level than adult cats. they need lots of calories and protein.

Many TCS members have observed that the quantity instructions the food manufacturers provide are actually on the light side. There is a rule of thumb about feeding kittens: If there are no leftovers, you are not feeding them enough!
ive never had a kitty before. I’ve always adopted older so feeding has always been easy. :)

Siamese-please24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since she’s still growing, you can feed her as much as she wants (as long as she’s not the scarf ‘n barf type). Once she hits a year of age, then you will need to pay more attention to calories, but your vet can help you with that when the time comes. For the dry food, you could invest in a microchip feeder to prevent your dog from getting into it, or just do meal feedings, if that’s been working for you for the wet food.
Thats what we do now. Just meal times. I have never left food out for my cats to graze. Even before the dog. I like knowing how much they eat. Long as I know I’m not ever feeding to make her sick I feel better.

Lranders29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
My kittens are around 5 months old. I’m trying to find the best wet food for them. I’m using up a case of Science Diet and bought Blue Wilderness, Chicken Soup grain free, and taste of the wild for them to try. Will this really mess up their digestion? I’m curious to try a few types before committing.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Transition to the first one slowly, see how they do, and if they're ok then transition to the next, again slowly. I think then you should be able to rotate the foods on a more normal schedule. You don't have to commit to one food, oftentimes having them eating multiple brands can ensure against a lot of troubles.

Be sure they continue to eat a lot, at least until they're a year old or a bit more :)

Siamese-please24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thats what we do now. Just meal times. I have never left food out for my cats to graze. Even before the dog. I like knowing how much they eat. Long as I know I’m not ever feeding to make her sick I feel better.
Ok so adding in the dry with wet has made a world of difference. Wowza. She isn’t as aggressive. I have dry food out. Blocked the best way I can to keep the dog from getting it. And if I put it up stairs the old
Hi,
My kittens are around 5 months old. I’m trying to find the best wet food for them. I’m using up a case of Science Diet and bought Blue Wilderness, Chicken Soup grain free, and taste of the wild for them to try. Will this really mess up their digestion? I’m curious to try a few types before committing.
i have been using Wellness kitten wet. Now I added in Wellness kitten Core dry. And she likes it. Now that she is eating dry more thought out the day. She isn’t eating as much wet!! Normally I’m a dry cat food person but my second cat had to have wet due to digestion. This was suggested to me by my vet. My oldest cat is using proplan dry She’s like 8 and has been since we got her at a year. I tried proplan wet kitty did not like it!

She has improved greatly on the 2 combos of wet and dry. Glad I posted about it!!!

MysticPisces

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 3 month old. And he’s on a half wet half dry diet thanks to the shelter. The first day he was here he refused to touch the dry food unless I put down a separate dish with wet food in it. Now a week later he’s only eating dry. I don’t do a meal time I just free feed. My kitten will eat a decent amount in the morning and a couple times in the afternoon he’ll eat a tiny bit and then at night he’ll eat about 2 big portions. I chose to free feed because I like my sleep and didn’t want my kitten waking me by screaming at me to feed him at 10pm then 1am and then again at 4am 😂 at some point probably when he’s 6 months old I’ll be buying him a food dispenser that way instead of refilling his dish every morning I can go a couple days to a week at a time

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The first day he was here he refused to touch the dry food unless I put down a separate dish with wet food in it. Now a week later he’s only eating dry.
Is there any way you could continue to incorporate some canned food into his diet? Even if it's only a few times a week, your baby will benefit greatly from the moisture that he ingests in the wet food.

Lranders29

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Transition to the first one slowly, see how they do, and if they're ok then transition to the next, again slowly. I think then you should be able to rotate the foods on a more normal schedule. You don't have to commit to one food, oftentimes having them eating multiple brands can ensure against a lot of troubles.

Be sure they continue to eat a lot, at least until they're a year old or a bit more :)
Thanks! I increased the wet amount recently and they’re less weird about food. Not freaking out as much. Feel bad they were getting what the can and bag of dry said, but it seems it wasn’t enough. I’m glad it’s ok to rotate because they seem to like a few different types!

Siamese-please24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 3 month old. And he’s on a half wet half dry diet thanks to the shelter. The first day he was here he refused to touch the dry food unless I put down a separate dish with wet food in it. Now a week later he’s only eating dry. I don’t do a meal time I just free feed. My kitten will eat a decent amount in the morning and a couple times in the afternoon he’ll eat a tiny bit and then at night he’ll eat about 2 big portions. I chose to free feed because I like my sleep and didn’t want my kitten waking me by screaming at me to feed him at 10pm then 1am and then again at 4am 😂 at some point probably when he’s 6 months old I’ll be buying him a food dispenser that way instead of refilling his dish every morning I can go a couple days to a week at a time
With all the older cats and our lab. I have never free fed. The dog just eats it. And then the older cats eat all the time. But I have it blocked so the dog can’t get to it. Well she can if she tries hard enough but Im there all the time so so far it’s been going good. She eats the biggest part of the er food in the afternoon.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds as though you've got the dog part of this equation in hand, along with having the other aspects of this well in hand!! but I came across this and thought of you :)