5lb Whole Carcass Ground Rabbit Supplement Amount?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm using Hare-today whole ground carcass rabbits raised by the amish. They were ground on a Thursday, shipped Monday, arrived on Wednesday and processed and frozen Thursday. So I feel confident in rabbits quality.

Mschauer makes a great point. You must consider the quality and the freshness of your product.
Do the Amish raise the rabbits on a natural diet? I'm not familiar with their practices.

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very nice work, Valentine!

That's what I like to see. People spending time researching raw feeding from multiple sources, and deciding what makes sense for their own cat(s). Everyone's final "recipe" might be slightly tailored to suit what they are comfortable feeding. Some of us geeky analytical types are only comfortable after several hours of study. As long as the balance is there at the end, quite a few parameters are a little flexible.

That doesn't necessarily mean that everyone who wants to dive into raw food from scratch has to be as detailed with the research, but it does help with comfort-level for some of us. For newbies who may be a little less bookish, the standard recipes like Dr. Pierson's and the Feline-Nutrition basic mix have been tried and true favorites for many years. (Just adding this paragraph because I don't want to intimidate anyone who is new into thinking they have to have a PhD in animal nutrition to feed raw.) It is ok to start with a reputable basic recipe, and at least take time to read and know why you're including each ingredient. Then learn and tweak from there to your own comfort level.

Again, Bravo! Very nicely done. Now the real litmus test....Let's hope that Juliette stops clawing her fur out and absolutely thrives on her new diet which momma spent such love, care, and time to research. :woohoo:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do the Amish raise the rabbits on a natural diet? I'm not familiar with their practices.
Tracy with Hare-today:
All our products are hormone and antibiotic free.

The Amish raise rabbits in hutches. Only domesticated animals can handle not being in hutches. Feeder rabbits are euthanized by CO2, a quick painless death.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would expect that Amish farmers' feeding practices vary from farm to farm. If you can trust anyone, I'd expect Tracy to know her sources, and source from the top end. I've read that the farm that Tracy sources most of her turkey from is also the supplier to the White House.

Rabbit is pretty "clean" meat, compared to factory farmed chicken, pork, beef. I mean, how many ways can you screw up an all-vegetarian rabbit's diet anyway? Feed it candy or something?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tracy with Hare-today:
All our products are hormone and antibiotic free.

The Amish raise rabbits in hutches. Only domesticated animals can handle not being in hutches. Feeder rabbits are euthanized by CO2, a quick painless death.
So they likely aren't fed a natural diet.

Thanks for looking into that!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would expect that Amish farmers' feeding practices vary from farm to farm. If you can trust anyone, I'd expect Tracy to know her sources, and source from the top end. I've read that the farm that Tracy sources most of her turkey from is also the supplier to the White House.

Rabbit is pretty "clean" meat, compared to factory farmed chicken, pork, beef. I mean, how many ways can you screw up an all-vegetarian rabbit's diet anyway? Feed it candy or something?
Cows are herbavores also but naturally raised, actual free range, cattle have a much different nutrient profile than factory raised cattle.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cows are herbavores also but naturally raised, actual free range, cattle have a much different nutrient profile than factory raised cattle.
That's good common knowledge. Wish I could afford free-range (and Tracy's rabbit). There is nothing that says you can't feed a natural diet to a rabbit who is in a hutch. I don't understand the connection.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good common knowledge. Wish I could afford free-range (and Tracy's rabbit). There is nothing that says you can't feed a natural diet to a rabbit who is in a hutch. I don't understand the connection.
For the same reason as with cattle. If they are keep confined they aren't likely to be eating grass, flowers and seeds that have been grown in the ground and have taken up the minerals in the soil.

Yes, I guess it is possible the Amish go out everyday and pull up plants for their rabbits to eat. Some how I doubt it. Feel free to call one up and ask them.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So they likely aren't fed a natural diet.

Thanks for looking into that!
I've got a message into Tracy To confirm. I may have gotten hutch and colony raised mixed up.

I grew up on a farm but my experience with rabbits was baby rabbits abandoned by their mother. One of our cats nursed then till they got nice and plump. For those of you with a sensitive stomach please stop reading now.
Then she killed and ate each one. :eek:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those of you with a sensitive stomach please stop reading now.
Then she killed and ate each one. :eek:
We raw feeders are much less likely to be icked-out by an animal's natural instinct. At least the bunnies were naturally raised and your kitty got a few healthy, balanced meals out of the deal. :crackup:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that must have been distressing! :lol:

Look, this thread has taken on a very argumentative tone. Regardless of how rabbits being raised in hutches are being fed unless it actually is plants pulled from the ground and brought to them, it isn't a natural diet and the meat from them may be deficient in nutrients in comparison to what is found in a wild rabbit. This difference between a naturally raised animal and one raised unnaturally is part of the reason for some of the suggested added nutrients in a home-made food.

If "colony raised" means they are living on the ground and feeding on plants growing in the ground they are what I would assume is naturally raised.

You can take that and do with it as you please. It really does not matter one whit to me.

Last edited:

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm waiting to hear from Tracy. I may have misread things. I'll confirm if it's free range, hutch, colony and now I've been told there's rabbit tractors.

Well the reason I don't just pay hunters is there's some wild rabbit parasite. Something about only eating wild rabbits in summer months.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I would never feed wild game to my cats.

"Tractors" are how some chickens are raised. It allows them to be on the ground, eating their natural diet, while being confined. And they can be move around a pasture so the pasture can recover from where they had been eating.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems like rabbits would escape from tractors since they burrow under things. My boss told me one of his properties is being overrun with wild rabbits. I asked him to trap some for me for pet food. He thought I was joking. :p

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, I would never feed wild game to my cats.

"Tractors" are how some chickens are raised. It allows them to be on the ground, eating their natural diet, while being confined. And they can be move around a pasture so the pasture can recover from where they had been eating.
They're now using tractors for rabbits. You learn something new every day. I was unfamiliar with tractors. Other than the big ones for farming. :)

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Seems like rabbits would escape from tractors since they burrow under things. My boss told me one of his properties is being overrun with wild rabbits. I asked him to trap some for me for pet food. He thought I was joking. :p
If he did it would be like game of thrones where they kill rabbits.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well that must have been distressing! :lol:

Look, this thread has taken on a very argumentative tone. Regardless of how rabbits being raised in hutches are being fed unless it actually is plants pulled from the ground and brought to them, it isn't a natural diet and the meat from them may be deficient in nutrients in comparison to what is found in a wild rabbit. This difference between a naturally raised animal and one raised unnaturally is part of the reason for some of the suggested added nutrients in a home-made food.

If "colony raised" means they are living on the ground and feeding on plants growing in the ground they are what I would assume is naturally raised.

You can take that and do with it as you please. It really does not matter one whit to me.
I'm not looking to be argumentative. When Tracy responds I'll update the info.

The wild rabbit comments were because I'm in hunting country. I'm not familiar with friends that have hunted anything but deer. I thought the saying was only eat rabbit in summer months. (some people in the South eat rabbit, squirrels, possum and such but I tend to stick to a grocery store.) there's a summer parasite i saw mentioned. I had wondered about paying someone to hunt rabbits for me. There seem to be parasites and other things you need to know (a whole new level of knowledge).

I'm just sticking with buying ground rabbit.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wasn't referring to any one post or poster but the general tone of the thread.
Despite people challenging each other I do appreciate those who have posted. It made me question fish oil for one. I would have never guessed the vitamin. d was gone. I didn't realize the D was all other the map for non distilled.

Caution when considering actual wild rabbit.

While I may stay a bit more on the conservative end with nutrients there is now a link to a site with higher nutrients which others may be interested in.

Everyone is welcome to question and research everything. With everything in life your mileage may vary. Plus questioning where you get your pets meat and how it's raised.

I understand there was a challenging tone to this thread but despite that i think some good things came from it.

I normally don't like people challenging each other but we're on a raw board. This isn't extremely mainstream. Mainstream is Iams. I fed my male cat it for years thinking I was giving him the best. Then he got poisoning. He progressively got sick for years until he had to be put to sleep. Sorry for the driving off track but I believe that some good can come from challenging each other. While I may have decided my recipe there are others who haven't.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not looking to be argumentative. When Tracy responds I'll update the info.
You make a good argument without sounding "argumentative". I love intelligent conversation and debate. I'm learning a lot from you, that's for sure.