5lb Whole Carcass Ground Rabbit Supplement Amount?

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
can someone check my calculations and tell me if I've got the numbers right.

I'm adding supplements to 5 lb whole fine ground carcass rabbit.

3 egg yolk
1666 mg taurine
167 mg B
333 mg E
(no fish oil she's allergic)
Since rabbit i can skip lite salt

I'm assuming the following is for other meats
4 raw egg yolks
4000 mg taurine
800 IU Vitamin E (use dry form)
200 mg Vitamin B Complex
3/4 tsp Lite Iodized Salt

Can someone please confirm? Thank you!

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got the following supplement recipe from feline-nutrition.org......I just leave out the salt for whole carcass ground rabbit.---------------I just copied and pasted it here.

'
Here is a supplement recipe for five pounds of pre-ground meat/bones/organs:

• 8 to 16 oz water, use 16 oz if your cats like it soupier, 8 oz if they like it firmer
  • 4 raw egg yolks
  • 4000 mg taurine
  • 4000 mg wild salmon or wild caught small fish oil
  • 800 IU Vitamin E (use dry form)
  • 200 mg Vitamin B Complex
  • 1 ½ tsp Lite Iodized Salt
  • 4 tsp psyllium husk powder (optional, mostly recommended when your cats are starting out on raw)

Read more at file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/User/Desktop/Easy%20Raw%20Diet%20Feeding%20for%20the%20Busy%20Person%20-%20Feline%20Nutrition.htm
Follow us on Twitter: @felinenutrition

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I keep seeing different ones.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
can someone check my calculations and tell me if I've got the numbers right.

I'm adding supplements to 5 lb whole fine ground carcass rabbit.

3 egg yolk
1666 mg taurine
167 mg B
333 mg E
(no fish oil she's allergic)
Since rabbit i can skip lite salt

I'm assuming the following is for other meats
4 raw egg yolks
4000 mg taurine
800 IU Vitamin E (use dry form)
200 mg Vitamin B Complex
3/4 tsp Lite Iodized Salt

Can someone please confirm? Thank you!
I commend you on doing such precision math, but I generally use 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100% of those recommended supplements depending on how much food I'll end up with. By the time you add the supplement slurry to the feline-nutrition recipe you have approx. 6 lbs of food (more if you add more water).

My batches are never quite the same quantity so I use:
25% of the supplements up to 1.5 lb of food
50% of the supplements over 1.5 up to 3 lbs of food
75% of the supplements over 3 up to 4.5 lbs of food
100% of the supplements over 4.5 up to 6 lbs of food

So with 5lbs of food, I would use 100% of the supplement quantities.

One note though: The feline-nutrition recipe I printed says 2000 mg taurine (not 4000). Don't know if they have changed that, but I buy the 500mg capsules so 25% is one capsule, 50% is two capsules, etc.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I commend you on doing such precision math, but I generally use 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100% of those recommended supplements depending on how much food I'll end up with. By the time you add the supplement slurry to the feline-nutrition recipe you have approx. 6 lbs of food (more if you add more water).

My batches are never quite the same quantity so I use:
25% of the supplements up to 1.5 lb of food
50% of the supplements over 1.5 up to 3 lbs of food
75% of the supplements over 3 up to 4.5 lbs of food
100% of the supplements over 4.5 up to 6 lbs of food

So with 5lbs of food, I would use 100% of the supplement quantities.

One note though: The feline-nutrition recipe I printed says 2000 mg taurine (not 4000). Don't know if they have changed that, but I buy the 500mg capsules so 25% is one capsule, 50% is two capsules, etc.
Feline- Nutrition has two different supplement recipes. One is for their recipe , the other for pre ground raw, I use it when I order 5 pound chubs from HT

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feline- Nutrition has two different supplement recipes. One is for their recipe , the other for pre ground raw, I use it when I order 5 pound chubs from HT
Ah ha. That make sense. More than one recipe. (But can be confusing who are starting with raw.)

I can see where ground meats would need more taurine, an also wondered if a recipe says to double taurine if you're not using heart meat.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Now I understand. Took a day to really click.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ahhh, that clears up my confusion too! Thank you all!

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you use krill oil or green-lipped mussel powder for omega 3's in lieu of the fish oil? You also need to supplement vitamin D if not using fish oil.

Last edited:

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was told the rabbit should have more omega 3s. She tricked me a week ago and got shrimp from my fingers and proceeded to rip her fur out. Right now i was going to stay with no fish, krill or flax oil. I'll See that she does well and then i can try again and see if she has a reaction.

Hare Today said Pollock oil might work for her.

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was told the rabbit should have more omega 3s. She tricked me a week ago and got shrimp from my fingers and proceeded to rip her fur out. Right now i was going to stay with no fish, krill or flax oil. I'll See that she does well and then i can try again and see if she has a reaction.

Hare Today said Pollock oil might work for her.
Green-lipped mussel powder is also a great source of omega 3 fatty acids. You'll need to supplement vitamin D if not using fish oil, though.

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I believe this is incorrect. Liver provides the vitamins A & D. You don't want to overdose the cat on either nutrient.
I really like this recipe since it includes a nutritional analysis: Balanced Raw Food Recipe with Nutritional Analysis

See the bottom of the file for information on vitamin D.

The maximum acceptable amount of vitamin D is very high. Feeding too much liver would result in vitamin A toxicity long before the vitamin D becomes a problem.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From what i understood using the whole carcass rabbit would give her enough omega 3s until her system cleared and i can be sure what she can handle. Right now fish causes scratching and she pulls half her hair out. This includes shrimp and sardines.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rabbit is going to be higher in Omega 3's than grain-fed factory farmed proteins like beef, pork and chicken. Any "mass produced" meat animals fed processed grains are low in Omega 3's. Rabbit is more likely to be fed an appropriate diet and have a more natural mix of essential fatty acids.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Green-lipped mussel powder is also a great source of omega 3 fatty acids. You'll need to supplement vitamin D if not using fish oil, though.
I really like this recipe since it includes a nutritional analysis: Balanced Raw Food Recipe with Nutritional Analysis

See the bottom of the file for information on vitamin D.

The maximum acceptable amount of vitamin D is very high. Feeding too much liver would result in vitamin A toxicity long before the vitamin D becomes a problem.
The article suggests supplementing Vitamin D only if you are using krill oil or green-lipped mussel. ". If you are using krill oil or green lipped mussel as the source of omega 3s, it is best to include vitamin D in the supplement: 20 NOW 1,000iu dry vitamin D capsules."

Valentine is not planning to use an Omega-3 supplement, so no need to risk an overload of Vitamin D. Vitamins A & D are stored in the body, not excreted in urine like water-soluble vitamins.

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The article suggests supplementing Vitamin D only if you are using krill oil or green-lipped mussel. ". If you are using krill oil or green lipped mussel as the source of omega 3s, it is best to include vitamin D in the supplement: 20 NOW 1,000iu dry vitamin D capsules."

Valentine is not planning to use an Omega-3 supplement, so no need to risk an overload of Vitamin D. Vitamins A & D are stored in the body, not excreted in urine like water-soluble vitamins.
The recipe suggests that fish oil contains a significant amount of vitamin D, which is missing in krill oil or green-lipped mussel. So if not using fish oil, vitamin D supplementation is recommended.

I wouldn't worry about this in the short-term, but would do more research if this recipe will be used long-term.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Read it again. If using krill oil or green-lipped mussel oil, then they suggest supplementing D. It does not say, if not using fish oil, then supplement.