4.5 month kitten peeing on floor...

libacumo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Help. I recently got 2 male Maine Coon Kittens. They are currently 4.5 months old. They play together and snuggle. One is very outgoing, one is a little more skittish and shy. The outgoing one (Smokey) loves the litter box. No issues. When they were about 3-3.5 months old, I was keeping them in a large kitty proofed bathroom with toys and a litter box and beds when I wasnt home to keep an eye on them. The skittish kitten (Orange) started peeing on the floor in the bathroom (last month). So I initially decided to move them to a larger room with more litter boxes and during the processes I brought him back to the bathroom by himself to get a urine sample to have tested and he immediately peed on the floor in that bathroom. Urine sample was negative for any issues. They've been in the larger room about a month now and there were instantly no litterbox issues once moving them - they have one litter box with pine litter and one litter box with clumping clay litter. If I'm home, they could roam wherever they please. Then suddenly last week, he started peeing on the floor again - sometimes when they're locked in the larger room and other times one the floor in the middle of the kitchen (both rooms have the same flooring - if that matters). I took him to the vet, sample showed some crystals in his urine so they started him on an antibiotic. He continued peeing on the floor for a few days (some large piles, some smaller piles while also using the litter box to urinate) so I added a third littler box to the room with kitten attract litter. He seemed to actually stop peeing on the floor for about 2 days after this and now he's back to peeing on the floor next to his boxes in addition to peeing in his boxes sometimes. So what gives? I also added a feliaway plugin in the room but hasnt seemed to make a difference. I'm scheduling to get him neutured next week. Should I lock him in a tiny bathroom by himself with just a litter box, water and food for a couple days? Is this a training issue, a behavior issue, a health issue, or a needs to be neutered issue? I cant figure him out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

libacumo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And just to add - I'm cleaning the spots he's been peeing with an enzyme cleaner and letting it soak on any grout spots he's peed on. There seems to be three spots he's peeing at the moment - next to litter box A, next to litter box B, and in the middle of the kitchen. All spots are cleaned as soon as I notice.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, do you have pee pads? Along with putting them under and alongside the litterboxes and possibly (if it's not a slip hazard) in the kitchen, also try putting a couple into a litterbox along with one of his pee clumps (if you have any) or tissue you used to wipe up his pee.

I am thinking it's possibly still a health issue if the antibiotic isn't addressing the crystals, and a little bit behavioral in case he is hurting and the litterboxes seem to him to be the source of the pain.

libacumo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, do you have pee pads? Along with putting them under and alongside the litterboxes and possibly (if it's not a slip hazard) in the kitchen, also try putting a couple into a litterbox along with one of his pee clumps (if you have any) or tissue you used to wipe up his pee.

I am thinking it's possibly still a health issue if the antibiotic isn't addressing the crystals, and a little bit behavioral in case he is hurting and the litterboxes seem to him to be the source of the pain.
I do have pee pads - I can put those down next to the boxes on the floor where he's peed. For the one in the box - do you mean put a pee pad in an empty box with no litter?

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, does Smokey use all of the litter boxes? I'm just wondering if Orange is trying to mark out his own territory. How far apart are the boxes?

libacumo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, does Smokey use all of the litter boxes? I'm just wondering if Orange is trying to mark out his own territory. How far apart are the boxes?
Smokey loves litter boxes and makes a point to pee in a litter box any chance he gets - so yes, he definitely uses them all and I think there is no hope for Orange to use one that Smokey hasnt used. But I have been scooping the boxes as soon I see someone has peed or pooped (scooping 4-5 times a day). In the kitten proofed room - there is one box on each side of the room (each with clay litter) and then another pellet box next to one of the clay boxes - Smokey is probably the only one using the pellet box if I were to guess. Then in the rest of the house (not in the kitten proof room), there are 2 more litter boxes in different rooms - I have an older female cat who uses those (which I have seen Orange use as well, but not as often as I've seen Smokey use).

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Smokey loves litter boxes and makes a point to pee in a litter box any chance he gets - so yes, he definitely uses them all and I think there is no hope for Orange to use one that Smokey hasnt used. But I have been scooping the boxes as soon I see someone has peed or pooped (scooping 4-5 times a day). In the kitten proofed room - there is one box on each side of the room (each with clay litter) and then another pellet box next to one of the clay boxes - Smokey is probably the only one using the pellet box if I were to guess. Then in the rest of the house (not in the kitten proof room), there are 2 more litter boxes in different rooms - I have an older female cat who uses those (which I have seen Orange use as well, but not as often as I've seen Smokey use).
Is there any way that you could set up a private little area for Orange with a smaller amount of litter in the box maybe. Just try it as an experiment and see if he goes in there? Sometimes the size of the box and the amount of litter matters too. With them both being males, Smokey being more dominant, I still think it might be territorial. Does Orange poop in all the boxes?

libacumo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there any way that you could set up a private little area for Orange with a smaller amount of litter in the box maybe. Just try it as an experiment and see if he goes in there? Sometimes the size of the box and the amount of litter matters too. With them both being males, Smokey being more dominant, I still think it might be territorial. Does Orange poop in all the boxes?
I could set up a separate area for him, but I would literally need to lock him away by himself because pretty sure Smokey would use it otherwise - I would only want to do this to him for a couple days because they cry when separated and love playing/cuddling with each other. He has pooped on the floor one time ever (and that was in the last week), but otherwise will poop in either of the clay litter boxes.

If it were territorial, would neutering help? The vet will neuter them but preferred waiting until they are 6 months.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand that. I was suggesting it only as a short experiment. Yes, neutering can help with territorial issues such as peeing outside the box. As far as the age to neuter, that's really up to you and the vet. I adopted mine at 3 months from the shelter and the shelter neuters them when they weigh only 1kg. That blows my mind but I guess they have to do it because they have so many animals coming in.

libacumo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand that. I was suggesting it only as a short experiment. Yes, neutering can help with territorial issues such as peeing outside the box. As far as the age to neuter, that's really up to you and the vet. I adopted mine at 3 months from the shelter and the shelter neuters them when they weigh only 1kg. That blows my mind but I guess they have to do it because they have so many animals coming in.
I could definitely try to completely separate him for a few days as an experiment to see - I just wasnt initially sure if you meant totally separate him or just to add a box somewhere more private. I can see it being territorial since he is definitely the more skittish of the two. Smokey is definitely way more outgoing and unphased by everything. I initially thought it had to be a health thing since it started so drastically and suddenly, but maybe that could be the case with territorial too? But with it not stopping after being on antibiotics for over a week, I'll believe anything at this point haha.

libacumo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Plot development - I just got call from my husband and apparently Orange is attempting to use the litter box right now, but as soon as Smokey heard him in there, Smokey ran right into the box to see what he was doing/attempt to play attack him. So maybe could also be because Smokey doesnt leave him (or anyone else) alone? Smokey is not aggressive in doing it, but I'm sure he could be annoying. Would a covered box make him "safer" from peeping Smokey or would it make him more trapped? I'll probably separate them for a few days. I would totally give them more area if they didn't chew all my wires and I wasnt scared Orange would just start peeing everywhere.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll probably separate them for a few days.
Definitely try this, and I'm not sure how people manage the pee pads in the litterbox, since without any litter underneath it seems like it would be slippery, I think? I don't know if a covered box would help or not here.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could definitely try to completely separate him for a few days as an experiment to see - I just wasnt initially sure if you meant totally separate him or just to add a box somewhere more private. I can see it being territorial since he is definitely the more skittish of the two. Smokey is definitely way more outgoing and unphased by everything. I initially thought it had to be a health thing since it started so drastically and suddenly, but maybe that could be the case with territorial too? But with it not stopping after being on antibiotics for over a week, I'll believe anything at this point haha.
I don't know if that's it for sure but sometimes I find myself trying to "think llke a cat" to figure things out. A lot of it is trial and error with these curious creatures. :lol:

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plot development - I just got call from my husband and apparently Orange is attempting to use the litter box right now, but as soon as Smokey heard him in there, Smokey ran right into the box to see what he was doing/attempt to play attack him. So maybe could also be because Smokey doesnt leave him (or anyone else) alone? Smokey is not aggressive in doing it, but I'm sure he could be annoying. Would a covered box make him "safer" from peeping Smokey or would it make him more trapped? I'll probably separate them for a few days. I would totally give them more area if they didn't chew all my wires and I wasnt scared Orange would just start peeing everywhere.
Ah, yes...this is good information. I used to have a female that wouldn't go anywhere except in the covered box. You could try that but the separation is a good plan.

Last edited:

libacumo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok so he’s not thrilled but he’s separated for now with two litter boxes to choose from and use uninterrupted. Let’s see how it goes for a few days.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok so he’s not thrilled but he’s separated for now with two litter boxes to choose from and use uninterrupted. Let’s see how it goes for a few days.
Just a little while baby, to see if you pee in there. :hugs:

I hope it works. Might be little Smokey that needs to chill out and give his bro some space to "go".