3 Mo Old Kitten Not Eating, Advice Needed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jsmith125

Lucifer is my fur baby <3
Young Cat
Purraise
I have reached out to my god mother, with hopes that she might find it in her heart to loan me the money but I am not too sure she will. She is the only one I know that might do it, but chances are 50/50. Lucifer is getting worse as the night goes on, I will be calling the vet in the morning and seeing if they will take him regardless of what I can pay. He is crying out in pain more. I have begun to wonder if I am causing him more harm than good, and please do not bash me for this, but I have begun to look up when it might be time to euthanize... I do not want to WHAT SO EVER. But he can't eat, he is vomiting, diarrhea, sleeping all day, meowing in pain, his quality of life has just drastically decreased in the past two days I am not sure whether he will get better or not. I pray my god mother will loan me the money or the vet will see him regardless tomorrow as putting him down, even the thought of it, makes me feel like a monster. He just seems to be suffering more and more by the hour... I am in tears writing this, he is hurting and I'm doing all I can to prevent it. Am I wrong for thinking about euthanizing? I feel absolutely guilty... I love him. I hate to see him hurting.

jsmith125

Young Cat
Purraise
Praying for him to make it through the night and hopefully have the funds/a caring enough vet to treat him.

I do not see euthanizing as a way out, only as a last resort to stop his suffering if he cannot make it to the vet in time. I do not want to watch him have a slow painful death at home . I feel so conflicted. I am sorry for all of you having to read and keep up with his worsening. Please pray for him.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he has a URI or some other kind of virus, it is not going to get better without meds. All you can do is make him comfortable until the vet can see him. Take everything one step at a time. The fact that he is a kitten is making this situation very critical. Get him into the vet tomorrow. Stress the situation to them and explain that it is now an emergency. When you take him, set out a guideline of what you are able to spend at that moment and have them work with that. Get him the care that he needs NOW and then go from there. If your financial situation changes between tomorrow and Wednesday, explain that to them as well.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You need to go to an emergency vet at this point. Don’t ask the vet if they can maybe find a spot for him. You need to clarify that it is an emergency. Don’t start considering euthanasia until after Lucifer is diagnosed. If the vet feels that he needs to be put down, THEN consider it. Plus, euthanasia must be done at a vets office. The vet is the only way out, whether it’s life or death.

How is his behavior? Is he still responsive? Does he get up and walk? Is he drinking? If he is weak you can try smearing Karo syrup on his gums to boost his energy.

jsmith125

Young Cat
Purraise
Update:
Took him to the vet today just for the free exam.
She wanted to do a wide range of tests, gave me a 4$ prescription for amoxicillin, and a free revolution sample. Says he does seem to have a URI, and that they wanted to run the following tests:
Feline Leukemia
FIV
Parasite Fecal Test & Guardia
Possible abdominal xrays

They quoted me $550-$650.
And I cried. I can't afford that.
HOWEVER. I called around to different vets and found one about 20 minutes away, got their prices and it was around $240.
So hopefully I can get him in ASAP, they are a very busy place from what I was told. Until then hoping the amoxicillin helps, I'm not sure if it was the car ride or the vet but he has seemed to perk up since then and has been feed too. Fingers crossed.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Definitely get him tested for FIV and FELV. URIs can be symptoms of the illness. A fecal test needs to be done because that could be causing his tummy to hurt. Xrays...I, personally, would hold off on that unless absolutely necessary.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Now see...I was thinking the xray might be the most important thing right now....I'm thinking with that projectile vomiting that he really might have a blockage :sigh:. (but then again, I'm NOT a Vet)

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Now see...I was thinking the xray might be the most important thing right now....I'm thinking with that projectile vomiting that he really might have a blockage :sigh:. (but then again, I'm NOT a Vet)
My thinking is the not pooping and straining is from not getting enough to eat. Projectile vomiting could be caused by anything.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I would not wait..get him looked at. blockages are dangerous. Pick up all string/yarn or similar items. You can keep syringing fluids for now. small bits at a time. The dehydration is going to make your baby feel horrible. Get care credit and get him looked at. It sounds like there's two things going on. URI and something gastrointestinal. He needs to be seen by the vet. Xray isn't out of the question eithr. At the minimum start the antibiotics. Colored boogers usually indicate infection which affects eating. I don't know why he's vomiting-they can give him medication at the vet to stop the vomiting. You will need to learn to pill him if they send you home with some. Don't wait.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s great that you went to the vet! The antibiotics are a start. Hopefully you can get an appointment with the cheaper vet soon as I’m predicting that a simple round of amoxicillin won’t be all that he needs.

jsmith125

Young Cat
Purraise
Update on Lucifer!
We had to go to Houston today for work, and when we got back he was meowing and back to his normal self. And he FINALLY ate on his own for the first time since Friday. Waiting to see how his bowel movents are, still giving him his medicine and I'm still going to take him for dewormer& vaccines and a FIV test tomorrow, but he's playing and eating and seems back to my regular fur baby :)

jsmith125

Young Cat
Purraise
Lucifer now has his distemper & leukemia vaccine, dewormed, nails clipped, and has even gained a whole pound in two days! No more vomiting, diarrhea, runny nose, or lethargy. He is playing and loving and purring, seems to have gotten back to his happy kitten self. And he is eating like he was starving which I don't blame him! Still going to continue his antibiotics for the 10 days as instructed and taking him back in two weeks for another check up. Thanks so much to everyone who helped and offered advice, links, information, and support, I'm over the moon that my fur baby is back in good health and will be keeping a close eye on him until next visit.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my goodness...what a WONDERFUL update :clap::clap::clap:. I'm over the moon too :biggrin: Best news I've heard so far today!