3 Mo Old Kitten Not Eating, Advice Needed

jsmith125

Lucifer is my fur baby <3
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am new here but definitely not new when it comes to cats. I love them. Haven't had a cat in a couple years and recently got a kitten a little over a month ago. His name is Lucifer, and he's now 3 months old. He stopped eating yesterday, and due to financial struggles I am unable to get him to the vet until tomorrow morning. I feed him wet food (1-1 & 1/2 friskies 5.5oz can a day) and leave out dry food with his water. He is like any other hungry kitten, constantly begging for it and scarfs it down in minutes. But not today or yesterday. I know about how quickly their livers can start the fatty liver process and have been worried sick, crying constantly and fearful he is dying. I couldn't take it another second today so about an hour ago I put his wet food in a blender with a tiny but of water and liquified it, and force fed him through a syringe. It was about 3/4 a can, little bits fell out the sides of his mouth but I feel as if I got a decent amount for the first time. I just am unsure how often to keep this up, I have another blended can ready to go and waiting in fridge, I just don't want to give him too much in such short amount of time and cause him to vomit everything up after 30 minutes of feeding. Also, is a can a day enough, right now as well as when he is back to eating on his own? Some days I break open a second can and give him another 1/3 mixed with some dry food because he begs like his momma don't feed him (lol), which make up to 4 feedings a day. He was 2.6 pounds on September 16th, and I estimate he is a good 3 lbs now. Other than not eating he has had diarrhea once last night, which I assume is from him not taking in any solids? He had some water today but it took him a few minutes to actually bring himself to drink it, as if something was bothering him. Other than that he is still playing with me, lounging in the window, sleeping with me, being normal for the most part. His hyped up frenzies in the evening haven't been there since Friday however, which I want to believe is from his lack of energy due to not eating, but I am still so worried about him. He's the sweetest, cuddliest, mama's boy cat I've ever had and he truly is like my child even in just a short 6 weeks, is there anything else I can do or should do until I can get him to the vet in the morning? I read it takes about 2 hours for food to get out of the stomach and travel further in the digestive system, which makes me want to feed him every 3 hours but is that too much? How long should I wait in between syringe feeds so as not to upset his stomach but also ensure he is getting enough in his system to prevent his liver from damaging itself? Sorry for such a long and disorganized, frantic post, I am just so so worried about him and keep fearing I will see him pass away so young due to lack of finances. He gets me through my days and nights as I have severe depression and also pregnant at the moment. Please help. Is there anything else I can do??? Thank you to anyone who reads or responds, I am at my wits end right now.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think every 4 hours is good. But it's also good you're taking him in to be checked out because it's definitely not normal for a youngster like that to stop eating. AND, I would not suspect diarrhea to come from not eating. He's possible picked up a bug that's causing the whole thing :frown:.

OH, on the amount, I would probably only give about 1/3 can mixed with water at a time, if he even handles that much. He should be ok with that amount every 4 hours until you get him in to be seen. Then they can give you proper instructions. Just in case he has some sort of blockage, you don't want to overload his tummy. And kittens CAN eat things they shouldn't that will cause blockages :sigh:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jsmith125

Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. He ended up throwing up what I fed him about two hours later. I am going to get nutrical tomorrow as I have run into another financial struggle and now won't be able to get him seen until Wednesday. Going to try feeding him again here in a bit but less, trying to think of what I can add to his food for more caloric value. Very concerned he won't make it until Wednesday. He is just sitting by his water bowl staring at it :(

jsmith125

Young Cat
Purraise
I think every 4 hours is good. But it's also good you're taking him in to be checked out because it's definitely not normal for a youngster like that to stop eating. AND, I would not suspect diarrhea to come from not eating. He's possible picked up a bug that's causing the whole thing :frown:.

OH, on the amount, I would probably only give about 1/3 can mixed with water at a time, if he even handles that much. He should be ok with that amount every 4 hours until you get him in to be seen. Then they can give you proper instructions. Just in case he has some sort of blockage, you don't want to overload his tummy. And kittens CAN eat things they shouldn't that will cause blockages :sigh:
Anything I can add to his food for now for more calories?

jsmith125

Young Cat
Purraise
Update on Lucifer:
I went to the store and got a small can of kitten food (100 cals) and a jar of beef baby food (80 cals) and some pedialyte and blended them up. I gave him a smaller amount this time through syringe, it's been about two hours since I fed him, waiting another hour before I go to sleep so hopefully he keeps it down. I have noticed his breathing is slower as is his heart rate, he has spent most of the day sleeping. I have a horrible feeling he won't make it until Wednesday, and am at a loss for words to describe how heart breaking this is. He just keeps getting worse by the hour. I feel awful about not having all the money in the world to get him the proper vet care and as much as I love cats and their companionship, I am so afraid to even think about owning another cat if he does not make it. I feel like I am watching my own child slowly die and am not sure how to cope with this.

jsmith125

Young Cat
Purraise
Lucifer now has a greenish mucus coming from his nose and holding his mouth partially open to breath. He's currently laying right next to his water but wasn't able to drink any. I am so afraid to go to sleep and wake up and find my baby has passed. Please pray for him :'(

jsmith125

Young Cat
Purraise
His nose is now dripping mucus and he is asleep with his mouth partially open breathing through it. These past few hours he has just gotten worse. I fear I will wake up and he won't be alive. I can't sleep. I just want to be there for my baby.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he has an upper respiratory virus. The blocked nose may be the thing causing him to refuse to eat, since he cannot smell. The virus may also be causing the diarrhea. Has he been vaccinated?

URIs are extremely common in young kittens. I have dealt with many foster kittens under 2 months old with a URI. All have lived.

Clear his nose, put a humidifier in his room, hold him in a steamy bathroom to break up the mucus. Heat up his food in a bowl of hot water. Hot food smells better to cats. Lift his scruff. If it stays tented, he’s dehydrated. If it snaps back, he’s not. If he is dehydrated, syringe feed him pedialyte and water. Try adding 250-500 mg of L-lysine to his food twice a day. I’ve heard it helps tremendously.

Keep us updated!!♥

Last edited:

jsmith125

Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he has an upper respiratory virus. The blocked nose may be the thing causing him to refuse to eat, since he cannot smell. The virus may also be causing the diarrhea. Has he been vaccinated?

URIs are extremely common in young kittens. I have dealt with many foster kittens under 2 months old with a URI. All have lived.

Clear his nose, put a humidifier in his room, hold him in a steamy bathroom to break up the mucus. Heat up his food in a bowl of hot water. Hot food smells better to cats. Lift his scruff. If it stays tented, he’s dehydrated. If it snaps back, he’s not. If he is dehydrated, syringe feed him pedialyte and water. Try adding 250-500 mg of L-lysine to his food twice a day. I’ve heard it helps tremendously.

Keep us updated!!♥
I was going to get him vaccinated next week actually. makes me feel awful about waiting, money has just been tight the past few weeks. I am about to go to pet smart for the nutrical and I will look for the l-lysine as well thank you. Poor thing his nose is so clogged up now it started last night out of nowhere. Thick green stuff :( Successfully fed him this morning again. But he is still kicking just sleeping a lot. Thank you for your response I will keep you updated!

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Until he is better, he might not be able to smell his food enough to be interested in it. He'll also be sleepy. Definitely get him in and get him looked at. If it's just a URI, he should be fine after some meds.

jsmith125

Young Cat
Purraise
Update: I discovered 3 little vomit piles under our bed. I've syringe fed him 3 times so far.. I'm worried he is not keeping it down even tho I watch him for up to 3 hours afterwards. I just fed him again. Went to pet store, this is what I got:
GNC Ultra Mega Multivitamin Plus
Licks Immunity Gel (L-Lysine)
Homeo Pet Nose Relief
Homeo Pet Digestive Upset

All of which I mixed into his food puree and fed him just now.
I also just noticed he is unable to use the bathroom, he paws the litter and gets into position 5-6 times with no avail, then starts crying :( I'm so sad. I'm doing everything I can to keep him okay until Wednesday but as the hours go by more and more bad symptoms pop up.
Loss of appetite & diarrhea since Saturday
Congested and runny nose with green mucus since about midnight last night
And now unable to use litter box.
As stated earlier I've also discovered vomit under the bed.
Is my baby dying? Will he make it until Wednesday?

jsmith125

Young Cat
Purraise
List of symptoms so far:
No appetite
Diarrhea first two days
Unable to go to bathroom now
Green mucus dripping from nose
Sniffles & sneezing
Sleeping a lot
Sitting by his water for long periods of time
Vomiting 2-4 hours later after syringe feeding

Just in case anyone comes across this, these are his current ailments. Very worried :(

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you not borrow some money from family or friends and pay them back on Wednesday. I honestly think this is getting urgent. It sounds like it's more than a simple URI, especially with the vomiting and now not being able to use the litterbox, plus hanging around the waterbowl. I'm very worried also :frown:.

OR, see if your Vet, or ANY Vet will put you on a payment plan. Or see if anything here will help No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

jsmith125

Young Cat
Purraise
Can you not borrow some money from family or friends and pay them back on Wednesday. I honestly think this is getting urgent. It sounds like it's more than a simple URI, especially with the vomiting and now not being able to use the litterbox, plus hanging around the waterbowl. I'm very worried also :frown:.

OR, see if your Vet, or ANY Vet will put you on a payment plan. Or see if anything here will help No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

Unfortunately there's no one to borrow money from, I am about to start calling around and see if any of the vets around me offer payment plans. Good news is he did go to the bathroom, he started drinking his water and has kept down what I fed him. He seems better than yesterday despite still sleeping a lot. His nose is no longer running either, not sure if it was the Homeopet I gave him or something in his food. Thank you for the link, I will look into it and keep this updated. I truly feel awful about him

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, call vets around you for cheap prices or payment plans. Considering he hasn’t had vaccinations it could be something like FIV. Don’t let his improvements deceive you- his body is still fighting a tough battle and he’s most likely going to lose without antibiotics from the vet. You really need a vet!! In the meantime, keep doing everything you’ve been doing and keep a very close eye on him. Main thing is ensuring he’s not dehydrated and is eating.

jsmith125

Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, call vets around you for cheap prices or payment plans. Considering he hasn’t had vaccinations it could be something like FIV. Don’t let his improvements deceive you- his body is still fighting a tough battle and he’s most likely going to lose without antibiotics from the vet. You really need a vet!! In the meantime, keep doing everything you’ve been doing and keep a very close eye on him. Main thing is ensuring he’s not dehydrated and is eating.
I know, I feel horrible. We are in the middle of moving right now and this just happened when funds were close to nothing. However I called all the vets around me, none offer payment plans unfortunately. One does offer a free initial exam with coupon, it is where I will be taking him Wednesday. I will continue doing what I have been in hopes it will keep him okay until then. My heart is breaking but all I can do is pray he will make it until then. If worse comes to worse I won't be getting another cat for quite some time, at least until I have an emergency fund put up for this sort of thing. I did not expect this and was given him to help cope with my depression and mental disorders, which he has greatly. It breaks my heart and I feel so guilty I cannot get him what he needs right away

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know, I feel horrible. We are in the middle of moving right now and this just happened when funds were close to nothing. However I called all the vets around me, none offer payment plans unfortunately. One does offer a free initial exam with coupon, it is where I will be taking him Wednesday. I will continue doing what I have been in hopes it will keep him okay until then. My heart is breaking but all I can do is pray he will make it until then. If worse comes to worse I won't be getting another cat for quite some time, at least until I have an emergency fund put up for this sort of thing. I did not expect this and was given him to help cope with my depression and mental disorders, which he has greatly. It breaks my heart and I feel so guilty I cannot get him what he needs right away
Don’t give up on him! Two more days... you just have to get him through two more days.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I feel better now that he's used the litterbox and is able to drink and has kept his food down. Small steps, but still...

jsmith125

Young Cat
Purraise
Lucifer has once again declined. I just watched him projectile vomit way more than I fed him a few hours ago after crying in pain for a few minutes. I fear the worst is coming. I am hoping he will make it until Wednesday but he seems to do better for part of the day then go back down hill. I am trying to come to terms with the possibility of him not making it. He is again sitting by his water bowl now. I swear if he does not make it I will never own another cat anytime soon. I feel like a terrible human being. I feel like this is my fault I should have never taken him in to begin with :( my best friend is dying.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Call the vet that you are taking him to on Wednesday first thing in the morning and get him in tomorrow. It has to happen. As if they can see him between appointments, but stress that it is an emergency. He needs to see someone ASAP.