2week Old Kitten Not Using Front Leg?

annaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had kittens almost 3 weeks ago. They'e all seemed healthy and playful. They are still in the box, they haven't started escaping yet. I came home from work today and checked on them, and one of their front right legs seems injured maybe? He doesn' seem to be using it, he has it tucked close to his body, and when he walked, he used it once and limped. He wasnt playing with the others, but when mom hoped in, he nursed from her, so he has an appitite. Im not sure what it could be since they have been in the box. Any ideas or infinite please I'm so nervous for him.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So whatever it is, its not any fault from the beginning, but something new?

With an inherited problem I would recommend massaging after being sure the leg is nicely warm.

But a new? You dont want to move it too much if its hurt, perhaps even broken...
Still making sure its warm cant hurt. IR-heating lamps, such as used by rheumatic persons or people having lizard-terraries, is pretty useful in all such cases.

There is a calici-virus, giving limping symptoms. Kittens tend to limp on one leg at a time, usually goes over by itself with time. Im not sure it can come with such a young kitten.
But it could be one explanation.

The other obvious explanation is he got his leg hurt in some way. Perhaps tried to climb out and even succeed. But fell down and hurt himself.
You wont notice this, because momma would carry him back.
Hopefully he just got a X, hurting but not spraining anything, and it will go over after a two days. This is common with humans and cats. The advice about IR-heating is valid here.

Wait some day, if it doesnt become better, contact your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, I will watch, and if it doesn't get better, I'll definitely take him to the vet. I hope he didn't fall out! Its definitely possible though, he's been trying! I hope its an easy fix, and he just needs it to heal a bit. Im really hoping its not a disease or muscle problems because there's been no other signs at all before today.
Thank you for that input, I'll keep this updated.