16 y/o with repeated upper respiratory/sinus infections

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I initially came here because my 10 y/o has lymphoma. In the last several months, though, my other girl, who is almost 17, has been getting pretty bad upper respiratory (or maybe sinus) infections that are not responsive to antibiotics. She sneezes (like, all over the place) and, while her breathing is not labored, she's definitely breathing through a very stopped-up nose. We've tried a couple of different antibiotics that didn't really help. Finally gave her a short-acting steroid, which broke it up.

Now she has it again. Anybody dealing with this? My vet has recommended in the past checking for nasal polyps and the last time said she thought she was "hiding something," i.e. cancer.

Just not sure what direction to follow.

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You may also want to look into L-lysine supplements (I know it comes in the paste and in a powder, but there may be other forms that work better for your kitty). My guy had terrible URI's until we started him on the paste and outside of a few minor sneezing fits, he's been clear ever since.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, FeebysOwner FeebysOwner ! Good article! Last I spoke with my vet, she thought it would be useful to check 'rissa for polyps. Not sure I can afford the procedure and I'm a little concerned about giving her anesthesia (even for a very short time) with her age and her heart murmur. I did call and ask them to get back with me with details, though, so I can make an informed choice.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask the vet to do a culture and sensitivity test on the snot. This will tell the vet if there is an underlying infection, what it is, and which antibiotic will best treat it. We went though a similar situation with our 2 year old (now 14 yrs old) and found out she had a psuedomonas infection. Most likely,the stress of your other kitty has caused the outbreak. Trying to maintain a low-stress home will help as well. You can get calming agents that will help decrease the stress level in your home.