When to give Antibiotics

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our new kitten had an Upper Resp. Infec, it spead to each cat one at a time, lasted 2 days, 4 days after that the next cat came down with it. The 3rd had severe symptoms, vet gave him an an antibiotic shot "just in case" and we did a blood test. His lymphocytes and neutrifils were in the normal range but on the high side. So it could be viral or bacterial, or a viral infection caused a 2ndary bacterial infection.Cat 4 finally got it, hers is the mildest of all, just a sneeze few hour or so. I got a bottle of antibiotics from the vet for the other cats.
She said give it to them If they get worse. Don't use it as long as theyre improving.

Its gone on a total of 15dats, no one is getting worse or better anymore they all sneeze every few hours. I called the vet, she said if thets the onlysymptomthem its up to me to decide.

Would you give them the antibiotics, How long would the sneezing 5-6 times a day have to go on for before youd medicate

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there any nasal discharge when they sneeze? Are they still eating?

Also, do you have enough tablets to medicate everyone? Most antibiotics need to be given for seven days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there any nasal discharge when they sneeze? Are they still eating?

Also, do you have enough tablets to medicate everyone? Most antibiotics need to be given for seven days.
Its a small wet sneeze. Its fine watery, almost like an aersosol.

It took two days for the major symptoms to go away (The heavy sneezes that leave your arm wet, thick goop from the eye and mucous bubbling out of their nostrils, lethargy, not cleaning), except the sickest cat took 4.5 days.

They do eat. But don't beg for food. The dry food I leave out of them in the slow feeder is untouched.

I have enough drops to start, Id get more if I do treat them.

I can't tell if my vet is just rushing, or really doesn't think its important to treat the other cats.
I like this vet a lot but her medical knowledge is def. out of date (ie still recommends Lysine for viral infections, children's benedryl for allergies, dryfood over wetfood etc)

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't feel comfortable commenting on medicine but regardless of what you do with antibiotics, I would give the vet a call and ask for a supplement if you haven't already. The vet clinic I go to usually recommends a multivitamin paste with l-lysine in it. The studies on l-lysine are limited -- I wouldn't dismiss its effect but I also wouldn't rely on it solely.

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Personally, since they seem to be improving, I would hold off on the antibiotics. While antibiotics are wonderful drugs, they are not benign and I would not want to give them to my cats if they are not truly needed. I would choose to medicate if their symptoms regressed to previous status. Also, completely agree with you on the lysine. It has even been shown to make URI symptoms worse!

Lysine supplementation is not effective for the prevention or treatment of feline herpesvirus 1 infection in cats: a systematic review

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fair enough Ill hold off.

... Also, completely agree with you on the lysine. It has even been shown to make URI symptoms worse!

Lysine supplementation is not effective for the prevention or treatment of feline herpesvirus 1 infection in cats: a systematic review
8 years ago when it was believed to help fight URIs, kitty lysine was a specialty item.

Now that we know it doesnt do anything for a cats immune system there are dozens more brands of lysine sold everywhere. I wonder if there are any non-immune related benefit to it or if its just unscrupulous companies taking advantage of worried cat owners.