Pair of kittens and senior cat

Georgesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve adopted a pair of kittens and I also have a resident senior cat whose 10 years old lazy and fat . I think I’m in over my head . I haven’t introduced them yet . I’ve only had them a week . The 12 week olds are neutered and they are staying in my room . The older cat has seen them briefly through the gate to my room but I usually leave the door closed . The older one hissed once but has shown no interest . In general he’s an anxious lazy cat . He would rather avoid things then confront them . I’m not sure if this will work or the best way to introduce them . My older one will go in the garage and spray on occasion so I don’t let him out there anymore but he doesn’t spray inside : I’m just wondering if there’s a chance this will work out . Any ideas on how to do this ?

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe these TCS articles might help

Just take the process slow. Whichever cat is making progress the slowest go at that pace. I think it will all work out
You have a support system here so if you have questions or concerns don't hesitate to reach out.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Just seeing this thread now. Introducing the kittens to your senior cat should be a little easier than if you brought in another adult cat. But that doesn't mean your cat will immediately accept the kittens.

Follow the suggestions in the cat introduction articles posted above.

And do put your cat in a room with the door closed for a bit, so that the kittens can run through the rest of the home and leave their scent everywhere.

I do think having 2 kittens, who can play with each other, will make it easier for your senior cat, as long as they don't decide they want to play with their big brother.

Here's a few older threads that dealt with introducting kittens to older cats, which may be helpful.

Senior cat and kitten introduction attempt
Senior cat and 10 week old kitten
Stressed Senior Cat, Hates Me And The New Kitten.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You never know. Even friendship is possible! I had two kittens with a senior cat years ago, and the senior never had any problem with the chill kitten. The hyper kitten . . . that was difficult! Odds are it will be slow and difficult, but we've had people on here be delighted by unexpected friendship or "mothering" type behavior (even from a male senior).

Good suggestions above on how to do it.

Last edited: