Stressed Senior Cat, Hates Me And The New Kitten.

Bryndal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 13 yr old spayed and declawe'd rescued (12yrs ago) female. 2 weeks ago we found a 4 week old abandon kitten so we brought it home. Holly the senior and Jedi the kitten. We separated them completely the first week not allowing the to even be seen. However Holly knew and started growling and distancing her self. She was never a playful kitty to begin with, so we petted her, loved on her. Like nothing has changed. We've started scent swapping as well and started opening the door with a clear plexiglass so they can see each other last weekend. Holly became more aggressive towards us and hiding in our closet more. Her normal safe place during thunderstorms and such. She hardly comes out of there now. We've let Jedi roams more around the house now so that Jedi scent is becomin a part of the house. We still keep Jedi in a secure room when we are gone and at night. Holly at that time has the entire house to roam. Jedi doesn't really care about Holly. Jedi sees her wants to sniff I would assume to see if the cat smell that Jedi smell is her but doesn't seek Holly out. I know it's only been 2 weeks but Holly is really stressed out and I don't like seeing her feeling trapped to the closet. Holly is a BIG cat. 17 lbs. But a complete scaredy-cat and always has been. I just would like to see what other option others have. I don't want to get ridenof Jedi nor do I want to close the door to my closet and keep Holly from seeking her safehaven. Help from a sad cat mom

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi B Bryndal :wave3:, no, I don't think your senior 13 year old cat, Holly, hates you or hates the new kitten, Jedi. :think:
I think that Holly is just feeling a bit uncomfortable with the new situation, and needs more time to adjust to the changes.
Plus, Holly might not even know what the new kitten is all about, since it's been a while since she's been a kitten herself, and kittens move sort of erratically, and all over the place, so likely the new kitten will take some time to get used to, as well.

You may have moved a tad too fast with allowing your Holly to see the new kitten, but all is not lost.
Take a look at this Cat Site Article for some extra tips, and ways of introducing cats in a gradual process:
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

When you do your 'scent swapping', does Holly have a visible negative reaction to Jedi's scent?
What you are trying to do, is gradually decrease Holly's stress response, so that the new smell becomes familiar to her, and she no longer is even bothered by the scent.
Then also try positive associations, like feeding both cats, on opposite sides of the door, and getting them closer to the closed door.
Once they are okay, with hearing, and the scent of each other, then allow them to 'see' each other.

Okay, since Holly already knows about the kitten, and is retreating from her, then try to coax Holly out, and get her back to being comfortable in her territory, with either using food she likes, treats, playtime (even if she does not like to play, she might like to watch ping pong balls, moving strings, scrunched up paper being thrown about, etc.)

Does Holly still come out to eat her food, and use her litter box, normally?
Will Holly still come out, from sleeping in the closet, and engage with you? Even if it is at different times, of the day or night?
Some members have mentioned using Feliway diffusers or sprays, and others have mentioned Composure Calming Treats. Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
(I have not tried, either, but it would be okay to ask your Vet about them.)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bryndal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks cat nap.... yesterday was a big step for Holly. They were about 3feet apart, Holly started her hissing, but jedi could have care less and within a few minutes Holly, calmed down herself and went back to laying down. This was all out of the closet but still in the bedroom. Holly still cones out to eats, drink and use the liter so im very positive. She doesn't seem AS stressed out as she was yesterday morning now. We atill keep them apart and coax Holly and sonfar last night an even today Holly has been coming out on her own but if Jedi gets close she runs back to the bedroom. So matve just maybe Holly will love jedi or at minimum understand her and be the big step sister troublemaker betweem the 2 of them....

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
This is fantastic, B Bryndal . :biggrin: Being 3 feet apart, and a bit of hissing is to be expected, until Holly is totally relaxed.

As long as Holly is coming out, and is eating, drinking, and normally using her litter box, then she still may need time to get used to the 'new situation', but like you said, it shows she is not as stressed as yesterday. :)

Just continue with the 'scent swapping' and using positive reinforcements, like food, treats, play, or even reading softly to Holly, while you are in the bedroom.
Sometimes, just being with your cat, and being all relaxed and positive, is reassuring for everyone.

It's cute, actually, since it's usually the new cat that runs and hides, and not the resident cat, but I can't really blame Holly, since the new kitten Jedi is probably bouncy, and running around, a lot.
I'm not sure who is going to be the bigger troublemaker...:blush:...but yes, I do think that Holly will become the big step sister, and eventually be teaching young Jedi, some home rules, and cat manners, too.

(If you have time, you can post photos, here of Holly and Jedi. Just choose 'upload a file' and 'full image')
Oh, and how did you choose the name Jedi and Holly. I'm guessing Star Wars for Jedi, but not sure of where Holly is from?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bryndal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep jedi is from star wars.. my husband named her and i as like thats not really an female name but hes a huge star wars fan so i lost out. I named holly becuiase my maiden was wood, i always teased my brother if he ever got a daughter he needed to name her Holly. I was much younger than him and ive got a kick out of that story do when holly came along my brother told me i should name her ^Holly since i so loved that name. I could never have kids of my own. So thats how Holly was named.

They are still doing good, holly is coming along and i thibk jedi just wants to be lovrd by her.
20170603_091539.jpg
20170603_091539.jpg
20170529_155823.jpg

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, Wow. :loveeyes: Jedi is adorable, and so is Holly!
I love how your husband named her Jedi, for star wars, and she is a female.:agree: (I actually had to go and look it up, since I could not believe that there are NOT any female Jedi Knights. What's up with that future, or galaxy? :disappointed: :dunno: :lol:)

Holly Wood...omygosh...that is fantastic. :crackup:(I was a little slow on the uptake, since I was thinking Holly was a tree, plant, or shrub...and didn't put it together with the last name...but just thought that "yeah, wood is part of a tree/plant and so is holly." The way you named her is 100 times better.) :blush:

(I should have asked for the reason for the names and photos, before answering your post.
It all makes sense now...You have a cat who is sort of a 'hollywood star'...diva, gorgeous, set in her movie ways...and then along comes a cute, but from another galaxy,...female Jedi knight.) Yeah, these introductions are going to take some time. :lol: :wink: Not to mention, I forgot how large kittens' ears and heads are, until they grow into them. No wonder Holly is a bit tentative in leaving the bedroom. She cannot believe this is a kitten. :biggrin: (my one cat Tepaul, had a huge head, as a kitten, that looked like Gazoo, from the Flintstones.)

All jokes aside, they are both beautiful. :)
Hopefully each day, Holly gets more and more relaxed with the little female Jedi, around.