Unwilling to be fully potty trained

Rory2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning everyone,
I am now here but I'm hoping you can help me.
I got a kitten in December 2020, half ragdoll half ordinary cat. Lovely lovely little one, so affectionate and patient with my little kid. That said, there is a problem and it's been going on for so very many months I just don't know what to do about it.
He poops and pees outside his litter trays. (I got him 2, one covered one open for his preference) initially he would pee in my bed or my kids bed. This became impossible for me so I stopped him coming to the bedrooms for a while. When I tried to reintroduce him, it just happened again. It has lessened somewhat as he is getting older but I can't be sure about it, if I go out for example. Overnight he will pee on the floor and poop too despite being 3ft (not even) from his litter trays. I changed the litter brand and type, and that has helped with the pee, but he will not seemingly change his habits with regards to his pooping. Every morning I get up and the first thing is see what he has done. It is disheartening. Any suggestions? Besides vinegar and lemon as I've used those on the floor and on the bed, and to wash things so as to leave a scent, but to no avail.
I appreciate any suggestions.
Thabk

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you put sand or earth in one of the litter trays, he might prefer that to litter. Also put a couple of sheets of newspaper on the floor near the litter trays, my mothers cat would only use newspapers to toilet on. If he likes going on the newspaper, you can put that in a litter tray

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rory2020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Verna,
Thanks for your reply. So I should say that when I got him I would buy catsan and line the litter tray with newspapers first and then pour the litter on top. He did not much care for that. Since then (but after quite a good number of months) I switched to cats best clumping litter which looks and texture wise seems more like wood bark than anything else. I don't know if sand would be much of a difference from that as its quite a natural litter as is (you can even flush it down the toilet apparently). I feel like we're in a vicious circle now, where he's annoyed he can't roam free in the house so he does his business elsewhere, which is the reason I won't let him roam free. Does that make sense? Thanks again

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is still young and sounds like he is marking his territory, has he been neutered? Outdoor cats tend to do their business in earth and sand if they can find any so thought it might be worth a go. I can understand you not allowing him to roam free.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to use an enzyme cleaner to fully remove the urine and poop smell and stains off the floors. Vinegar and lemon won't help. Pet stores sell enzyme cleaners specifically for pet mess clean up.

Have you discussed the inappropriate potty habits with the vet?

Have you tried a different litter? Or a different type of litter box? Cats can be very picky. Can you buy Cat Attract litter in your country?

TCS has articles on problem solving litter box issues. Take a read through them:

How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens – TheCatSite Articles
What’s The Largest Cat Litter Box (and Why Your Cat Needs It) – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions – TheCatSite Articles
16 Experts Reveal The Most Common Litterbox Mistakes (and How To Avoid Them) – TheCatSite Articles
Litterbox Problems? Here’s Why You Should Call Your Vet – TheCatSite Articles
The 10 Most Common Litterbox Mistakes Cat Owners Make – TheCatSite Articles
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know – TheCatSite Articles
https://thecatsite.com/ams/how-to-choose-the-right-litterbox.32515/
https://thecatsite.com/ams/how-often-should-you-clean-the-litter-box.31217/
https://thecatsite.com/ams/how-many-litterboxes-should-you-have.32424/
https://thecatsite.com/ams/how-to-solve-litterbox-problems-in-cats-the-ultimate-guide.32366/
https://thecatsite.com/ams/how-to-choose-the-right-cat-litter.31189/
https://thecatsite.com/ams/when-and-how-to-switch-to-a-new-type-of-litter.31211/
https://thecatsite.com/ams/litter-box-location-secrets.22302/

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When a cat goes outside the litter box, it's either medical (physical or neurological) or the cat is stressing. Sou=rces of stress could be anything from a stray cat invading your yard to your cat doesn't like the feel of the litter on its paws to it doesn't like the location of the box. It's time to do some investigating and find the cause.

First step- Take your cat to the vet for a check-up. Second step, make a map of your house and mark where the cat is going to see if there is a pattern. I'm not an expert, but beds are scent soakers. If the cat is peeing on the beds, it may be an indicator of feeling territorially stressed. He might be trying to say "I belong here, too." If this is the case, you need to find out why your cat feels this way.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning everyone,
I am now here but I'm hoping you can help me.
I got a kitten in December 2020, half ragdoll half ordinary cat. Lovely lovely little one, so affectionate and patient with my little kid. That said, there is a problem and it's been going on for so very many months I just don't know what to do about it.
He poops and pees outside his litter trays. (I got him 2, one covered one open for his preference) initially he would pee in my bed or my kids bed. This became impossible for me so I stopped him coming to the bedrooms for a while. When I tried to reintroduce him, it just happened again. It has lessened somewhat as he is getting older but I can't be sure about it, if I go out for example. Overnight he will pee on the floor and poop too despite being 3ft (not even) from his litter trays. I changed the litter brand and type, and that has helped with the pee, but he will not seemingly change his habits with regards to his pooping. Every morning I get up and the first thing is see what he has done. It is disheartening. Any suggestions? Besides vinegar and lemon as I've used those on the floor and on the bed, and to wash things so as to leave a scent, but to no avail.
I appreciate any suggestions.
Thabk
Where do you put the litter boxes? My cats go where I am the most which is living room and bedroom so I have them in those spots. Get unscented. Believe me the smell is much better. Most cats do not like tops I assume he is fixed?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A vet check is first. Second is a black light & enzyme cleaner. If it glows, clean it!

The litter type does matter. So try cat attract litter and later switch him to litter that is like sand.

The bed? First deep clean your bed with an enzyme cleaner until it doesn’t glow. Next put water proof mattress liners on your bed and maybe switch the comforter for a blankets so they are easier to wash. Make the bed and get rid of foot blankets. Some cats will pee on any fabric that gets bunched up.

Lastly I know you may hate this but I would add a large litter box next to your bed. (You can get his peeing under control then move it away from your bed & maybe out if your room.)

⭐ I used a large plastic tub/storage bin with a smooth bottom for my super litter kicker. Also the size of their box matters. Lidless is better & they should have multiple boxes in multiple rooms in low traffic/quiet places (especially if the cat is peeing out of the box.) I wound up removing the scratcher. The lid/wall divide is there because my cat likes to climb from one tub to another and get wet litter stuck to his paws. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Still it shows you what I mean by storage tub and how the “large” litter boxes are not that large.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still think he doesn't like something about the box or the litter, keep changing brands, types, etc until you find something he likes. get some puppy pee pads, the scent might attract him and they are like cloth. if he is not neutered, definitely start there.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello--I'm sorry you are going through this! I know I am late here, but wondering how old your kids are and if your cat has a space that is kid free (unless your kids are older.) Any other pets? Where are your litter boxes located? I have a new baby who is about to wake up, but if you are still having issues let us know and I will try to help! My cat did this for years.