Zooplus Dry Food? Switch From Wet...

Chris.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

New to the site. Read many threads on here over the years for various things. We have two cats. We’ve been feeding them Grau wet food for the last number of years from Zooplus Germany. We’ve tried many others but this was the only one they would consistently eat! There are times though, when they eat very little and it has to be thrown out.

One of our cats is a bit overweight while the other is underweight (vet visit coming up). The under weight cat tends to eat a small bit when the food is put out and then wander off and go back later, while the bigger fella eats quite a bit when it’s put out. So we’ve invested in a Surefeed microchip feeder for the underweight cat. He’s a nervous cat so I was unsure if it would work. Initially he was jumpy and ran away from it. But after a week with the odd treat and the training mode he uses it no problem! It’s great. I’ve actually ordered a second now for the other cat.

So that’s the background. I’m thinking of switching to a half dry and half wet food diet for them. I initially avoided dry food, apart from as a treat, as I’d believed wet was better. However after more reading I see that dry can be as good, if not better, in some cases. Our cats don’t have much problems with drinking water. They’ll drink out of the bowl or the fountains they have. They love most dry food. I was thinking of maybe a day of dry food then a day of wet, or dry in the morning and wet at night. Whatever suits best. It would probably work out cheaper in the long run too with less waste.

So I’m trying to find a good dry food with good ingredients which is available in UK/Ireland. Zooplus would be good but amazon or the like would work too. Any recommendations?

Apologies for the long first post!!

Chris

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chris.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. I decided to go and get all the info from the zooplus site and put it in a spreadsheet so i could compare ingredients, protein etc levels and price per kg.

Chris.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, link not working on this site. I've uploaded a zip file with the xls (Excel spread sheet) included. It wouldnt let me upload the excel sheet so had to zip it first.

Attachments

Chris.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Had some duplicates in that list. Also I've grayed out lines with no ingredients and the lines in red have corn meal or animal by products.

Attachments

Chris.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is it working?

I was in my local pet store the other day and bought a 2kg of Applaws chicken. They didnt have any smaller bags and I wanted to try it out. I put out some when I got home and both cats hoovered it up. They seemed to love it.
Next morning my wife put out a small bit of wet and a small bit of dry food. The underwight cat sniffed the dry food and pulled away, wouldn't eat it! The other cat also wasn't too keen. So I'm not sure what happened. Plenty fresh water out and fountain running also.

Also curious, we've been feeding them Grau Gourmet Grain Free cat food for a long time. It was recommended on other sites.

Grau Gourmet Grain Free
Meat & innards (min. 40% turkey, min. 28% lamb), meat stock, calcium carbonate.

Vitamin A (2000 IU/kg), vitamin D3 (200 IU/kg), vitamin E (25 mg/kg), taurine (1000 mg/kg), zinc (3.3 mg/kg), manganese (1.4 mg/kg), iodine (0.5 mg/kg).

protein 10.1 %
fat 5.6 %
fibre 0.4 %
ash 1.7 %
calcium 0.3 %
phosphorus 0.19 %
magnesium 0.017 %
moisture 80.0 %
calories that can be burned 104.0 kcal/100 g

Applaws chicken dry food :
Dried chicken meat (65%), freshly prepared chicken mince (17%), potato, brewer's yeast, beet pulp, chicken gravy, salmon oil, vitamins and minerals, dried egg, cellulose plant fibre (0.03%), sodium chloride, calcium carbonate, seaweed, cranberry, DL-methionine, potassium chloride, yucca extract, citrus extract, rosemary extract.

Additives (per kg):
Nutritional additives:
Vitamin A [retinyl acetate] (27,850 IU), vitamin D3 [cholecalciferol] (1,200 IU), vitamin E [alpha-tocopherol acetate] (615 IU), selenium [from sodium selenite] (0.13mg), iodine [from anhydrous potassium iodine] (1.5mg), iron [from ferrous sulphate monohydrate] (80mg), copper [from copper sulphate pentahydrate] (48mg), manganese [from manganese sulphate monohydrate] (38mg), zinc [from zinc sulphate monohydrate) (135mg).

protein 37.0 %
fat 20.0 %
fibre 2.1 %
ash 10.8 %
calcium 2.8 %
omega-3 fats 0.8 %
omega-6 fats 3.8 %
taurine 2000.0 mg/kg

---------------------------------------

How come the protein and fats are so much lower in the wet food? Is it just the brand? Should I be looking for a different brand?

We tried alot of trial packs back when we started and Grau was the one they ate the most. Others they might try and then not touch it next time.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The wet food is 80% moisture. You have to do a calculation to as fed or to dry matter values. I don't have any links but I believe there are links to calculations on this site and also links to sites where the calculations have already been done for many foods. Try the search function. Otherwise, someone with the links will probably chime in later. Or, you can contact the manufacturer. Many will give you the values.