Zoey has a new skill

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today Zoey figured out how to open a cabinet. She got in the one under the kitchen sink and got stuck in the glue trap for flies!! I gave her a long soak in a warm bath. Just a tiny bit remained, I snipped it off with the scissors. We will definitely be getting some cabinet locks!!

smartyfoj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two cats that know how do that as well. I have a Velcro strap tying the handles together with the toy cabinet because I'm afraid the cats could hurt themselves the way they drag them around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is this very common for cats? She all of a sudden has become more curious than ever. One day earlier this week I had to push her back because she wanted to look inside the oven while I was getting supper out. I swear she was about to jump in!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yes, many cats are very inquisitive, and I believe this is what lead to their reputation for having 9 lives as they are constantly getting themselves in to scrapes as a result of their exploring - like ovens (even hot ones as they do not sense changin temperature like humans, they only feel it on their lips and tip of nose),  tumble driers and washing machines, and crawling in to tiny pipes and holes leading in to cavity walls and rood spaces.  It is constantly amazing what they get up to.  

When one of my previous cats broke in to a kitchen cupboard it was the one I kept her cat biscuits in and she chewed her way in to a new pack.  
  My current boy Mouse is trying to learn how the bolt on the inside of the bathroom door works so I just have to hope he doesn't lock himself in one day!

Sounds like you have a bright kitty on your hands, make sure you have a good look at the Articles on TCS about what can be harmful to cats in terms of chemicals and household products, and how to keep youjr home safe.  If you have any blinds or similar which have cords make sure they are tied up safely as well as there have been some very sad posts from members following accidents with these.  Cats are just like toddlers when it comes to having to lock everything away.

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had to stop her multiple times from getting in the dryer. Also she jumped in the toilet once. When we leave the house we put her in the bathroom, just to be more cautious. The toilet lid is down and the blinds are pulled up and cords tied up high. I will check out those articles. Thank you.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 Cats are just like toddlers when it comes to having to lock everything away.
Oh yes!  They really are like toddlers!!

When M&N were kittens we had a large wire dog crate that they stayed in while we were sleeping or not home.  It had a small litter box and all the essentials.  The first night we had them home we put them in the guest bathroom. When we woke up the next morning they were exploring the living room where the fish tank was!!  They were 11 weeks old and had fit themselves right under the gap between the door and the floor!  We also had to use 2 baby gates stacked with the top one at an inward angle; to contain them in the hallway when we couldn't keep an eye on them but wanted them to be out of the kennel.  They'd climb right over!  A friend of mine caught Mooch mid air; falling off the bathroom counter.  Fortunately we didn't have too much at that time for them to get into.  A smaller place has it's blessings I guess.  But we did have to shorten the cords for our window blinds and things.  I still have to be diligent with things like strings, ribbons, rubber bands, and twist ties.  Even hair ties. 

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
M&N, Zoey fits under the crack of our doors too. I have to put something in front of it so she can't. When I close the door and go to put it down, she runs over and swats at it!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
M&N, Zoey fits under the crack of our doors too. I have to put something in front of it so she can't. When I close the door and go to put it down, she runs over and swats at it!
    It sounds like Zoey is not just intelegent but she has a nice high play drive and is going to figure out ways to get in to all sorts of stuff.  Good luck Zoeyproofing your home. 

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL! Yes I think I will need the luck!

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm a stay at home mom, so it's only while I'm gone.
To make sure she is safe, can't get in to things etc. I'm also afraid she may try to get in our dog's crate with her. And while they are fine together almost all of the time. Gracie (our dog) says she needs her space occassionally and will growl at Zoey. Zoey has no clue this means go away....so Gracie gets crated(she also has seperation anxiety) and Zoey gets the bathroom (a far better deal than Gracie Imo)

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
To make sure she is safe, can't get in to things etc. I'm also afraid she may try to get in our dog's crate with her. And while they are fine together almost all of the time. Gracie (our dog) says she needs her space occassionally and will growl at Zoey. Zoey has no clue this means go away....so Gracie gets crated(she also has seperation anxiety) and Zoey gets the bathroom (a far better deal than Gracie Imo)
I think you're right there, esp on the Gracie Zoey space thing!

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks MServant, better safe than sorry! I don't want anyone thinking we lock her away. She's right here with us lol.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gotcha.

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No problem Stewball, I completely understand. We had a suspicion that our last 2 fosters may have been in a crate for an extended period of time. Dusty had lost fur on his feet and both had scraped noses. Also were covered in pee. Turns out Dusty had ringworm. But I'm still not convinced they weren't locked up way too long.
Trust me Zoey is spoiler rotten!