Your Cat's Reaction When Scolded

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am often intrigued and even amused at the way Cucumella will react sometimes when caught misbehaving, mainly scratching the furniture or expensive rugs. When I call out to her sternly from a distance "cucumella, naughty girl, what are you doing" instead of running away and hiding under some furniture (as she normally does when she knows she has been naughty) she runs up to me chirping softly and rubs my legs if I am standing or jumps on my lap if I am sitting down and tries to lick my hands and even my face. It reminds me of my daughter Susie's reaction when she was scolded as a little girl. She would run up to me and hug me asking "love me mummy, love me please"

I wonder if Cucumella's reaction is more common than I think.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maggie hasn't learned manners yet, since she's a former feral. When I scold her, she smacks my finger or my leg as I'm walking away. Of course, if she does something really bad and I clap my hands, she will run and hide.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Atticus and Thirteen both just sorta stare at me, like, "This damn human has lost his mind."

By the way, I love the name Cucumella! How did you come up with it and does it mean anything?
"Cucumella of Vulci" - Google Search

As to scolding cats, I've never tried it; I seldom speak much above a whisper to them, and they seem to comprehend what's being said.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Willow is a semi feral but very, very sensitive. A simple "no" just seems to crush her and once told no she rarely repeats the behavior. I have a shallow bowl of artificial fruit on the table and have known for a long time that she likes to fish out a piece or two to play with, and I don't really care. A few months ago I picked up a piece off the floor when she happened to be in the room and I said as I held it "Willow, where did this come from?", in a light tone. She looked at me and the fruit, growled and made a beeline to the basement where she hid for the rest of the day and hasn't touched a single piece from the bowl since.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lavishsqualor said:
"By the way, I love the name Cucumella! How did you come up with it and does it mean anything?

When I adopted Cucumella almost 6 years ago she had already been named and I kept her name.
Cucumella is a flower plant but it also means a small vessel.

Remains of the Cucumella at Vulci
Cucumella was also the name of an English School, (19th century). Medium: engraving. Date: 19th Century. Illustration from 'Tour to the Sepulchres of Etruria' by Elizabeth Caroline Gray, published in London in 1839; Provenance: Private Collection.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Saipha and Mishka have completely opposite responses. When I reprimand her, Saipha looks over at me with an innocent face, "Who me? Surely you aren't scolding me?" and keeps doing whatever earned her the scolding. When I scold Mishka, she chirps like she's apologizing and then comes over and sits at my feet.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lavishsqualor
I don't understand what happened to my post N°7. Much of what I wrote disappeared. I was giving two definitions of the word Cucumella. One was "a small vessel" and the other "a flower plant".

It was also the name of a 19th century school as explained in my previous post.

Te curious thing is that when I click on edit on my N°7 post the whole page appears as I wrote it but then when I click on "save changes" only remains a small part of it.

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Lavishsqualor
I don't understand what happened to my post N°7. Much of what I wrote disappeared. I was giving two definitions of the word Cucumella. One was "a small vessel" and the other "a flower plant".

It was also the name of a 19th century school as explained in my previous post.

Te curious thing is that when I click on edit on my N°7 post the whole page appears as I wrote it but then when I click on "save changes" only remains a small part of it.
There seemed to be a glitch with the quotes, golondrina golondrina . I think it's OK now?

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I make clear that Missy does something I don't like, it happens that she reacts in a vocal way and by a particular facial expression (not every time, but regularly); it looks and sounds very similar to chattering (see picture for the look).
When I took this picture she chattered because she saw a bird that she couldn't reach.

IMG_3788.JPG

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When I make clear that Missy does something I don't like, it happens that she reacts in a vocal way and by a particular facial expression (not every time, but regularly); it looks and sounds very similar to chattering (see picture for the look).
When I took this picture she chattered because she saw a bird that she couldn't reach.

View attachment 192540
One of my cats did this! She was a large and sort of bad tempered Siamese. When you told her no or to get down or otherwise disciplined her she would walk away doing a quiet grumble cackle to herself. It always felt like she was cussing me out.

Last edited:

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats did this! She was a large and sort of bad tempered Siamese. When you told her no or to get down or otherwise disciplined her she would walk away doing a quiet grumble cackle to her self. It always felt like she was cussing me out.
Well, that's exactly the way I feel when Missy does this. It must be the Siamese genes of her dad's side...

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have enjoyed reading these posts. It is interesting to confirm that individual cats have individual personalities. Another to ME interesting behavior from Cucumella is when she runs all of a sudden at full speed and hides under some furniture or behind a thick curtain. I know then that she has done something naughty, either she has scratched the wallpaper somewhere, climbed into the kitchen sink, overturned a plant.............. She must think that I know what she has done. When I ask her "what have you done you bad girl" she stays put in her hiding place and stares with wide opened eyes. It is when I catch her in the act and scold her that she will run up to me asking to be forgiven with rubs and licks.

Last edited:

DeannaF

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it's by voice, he could careless.

I go up to him and tap his nose and say "Hey pretty boy, what are you up to?" and he'll move away or purr. LOL!

he's so smart though... I'm working on him not eating the dog food when it's the dogs time to eat. So he absolutely knows what I start walking toward him as he's trying to sneak the kibble, he'll walk away. The other day while I was cooking dinner, he went right up to their bowl and as I walked up to him, he laid down right in front of the bowl and extended one paw out and literally kept his paw on the bowl. OMG I was dying laughing!:lol:

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My current cat just looks at like "fat chance hooman" unless shes scratching the couch. She doesn't do that unless its a last resort for getting attention - sometimes were having a conversation about something and she starts meowing like she wants to be part of the conversation or shes decided were done talking and its time to let her outside or something. When that happens you tell her "NO" and she stops and looks at like "you know what to do"

we have a rescue coming in tonight, he was a stray that was basically living in our yard so I took him into ACC and got him neutered and stuff. He is coming back tonight and when he gets scolded he gets very low, like hes scared. He was pretty desperate living in our yard, I was feeding him and the other cats would just sit there and stare at him while he ate so sometimes he would get nervous and lash out or another cat would come up to him so I would stand there and watch and make sure noone started any fights and if I said "hey be nice" he would lay down with his tail between his legs. I think he will settle down though