Youngest fosters I've had

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Foster litter of five are now approximately 4 weeks old. They have a litter box. Link has used it a few times but no one else. But the main problem is...how much longer before they can eliminate on their own? I have seen one poo on the floor and maybe one puddle. I have been wiping bottoms because after five hours still no pottying. I've never had any babies hold out this long. They are eating canned food off a paper plate now. But no success with trying to teach them to drink formula for a dish, they always just bite the sides.

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, all my other fosters have been younger when they started going by themselves.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mine are 5 weeks old today, and all began litter training themselves over the past week. One insists on peeing on the pee pad next to the box. Yours will sort it out soon! :)

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These are four weeks today. Pooped beside the cabinet today. One peed on the carpet when we took them to the bathroom for "recess", usually they are in the laundry room since it has linoleum. Since at least a few of them I have seen eliminate on their own..should I stop wiping bottoms? Today I waited but even after 6 hours they still hadn't gone!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Only 4 weeks, so I would continue wiping bottoms for another week. I know it's tedious, but they should really "get it" soon - between 5 and 6 weeks for sure! It's just a little process, and they really will get there. Every litter is different. Hang in there! :)

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have some pee and poo in the box, as well as on the floor tonight. Will wipe bottoms for a few more days until I am certain everyone is going. May add a box also as there are five and I think if they feel they all need to go at once, there won't be much room!

We will be working tomorrow on drinking from a dish also, right now they just bite it and get very frustrated. But I noticed today since they have been eating the canned food, they are starting to bite at the syringe.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like they are progressing just fine, and you are doing everything just right! Thank you for providing a home to these little kittens. They are having their little accidents, like all children, but they will have it down soon! Hang in there! Keep us posted! :)

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mixed their formula with the canned food and put it in the dish, they gobbled it up. Maybe next time when I give them just formula in the dish, they will know what to do.

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Everyone is going potty in the box or in some cases beside it. Drinking klr from a dish and eating canned food. Which I think may be causing some diarrhea. They will be going home on Friday. Just a few extra days to make sure everything is ok. She will be taking them to the vet Friday to see if they need some more worker. And we're doing it on Friday so they will have all weekend to monitor them also. Just in time also, as the rescue I foster for called me about a one day old!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bless you for your fine efforts on behalf of these kittens! What are they going to the vet for Friday? I think there is a typo. And now a one day old! You will continue to have your hands full!

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Going to the vet to see if they need some more wormer, sorry. Having a slight set back, three of the five wouldn't drink the kmr off the saucer tonight. My coordinator and my husband think I coddle them too much and tell me if they are thirsty enough they will drink it. But I couldn't stand it and gave them the syringe, will try again in a bit. I wonder if they really aren't very thirsty, if I'm offering kmr too often, the other two seem to be wanting, but then again they are the two piglets of the group.

The one day old still has his umbilical cord, although it is dry. He only eats around 1 ml each feeding before he wiggled away, turning his head. I have been waking him every two hrs to feed. When I wipe him yellow poop comes out, can't really tell if there's any urine. Is this normal?

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have been mixing kmr with their canned food. They make a HUGE mess but at least they are all getting kmr and without the syringe. None are interested in drinking water yet either. Having to wipe them down with a wet cloth and dry them after each feeding, possibly even more work than bottle feeding them! [emoji]128515[/emoji]

Tiny baby is doing great! I set my alarm for every two hours to feed him but usually he wakes me up with his squeaking. Eats 1 ML each feeding, sometimes a little more. Had some diarrhea, probably from changing to kmr, but I think we are over that now.

What's your opinion on mixing kmr with the canned food? Should I still be trying the kmr in a dish also, or is it ok for them to just have it with their food?

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i mixed kmr with their food when i was weaning them, i gradually add less and less kmr. i had one kitten will not drink water so i put out just kmr and i diluted more and more until he was drinking water

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I agree with M mwallace056 on exactly what she said. Am doing just that with my 5-week-olds right now, except that I do also leave a dish of water too, because 2 of the 4 will drink from it. Mine are very messy too, and I'm using a cloth to clean them up after meals as well! Par for the course! ;)

How are they doing with the litter pan?

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Doing great with the litter pan. When they go in the bathroom for "recess" they are even using the big cat box! Only a few accidents now. Haven't put a dish of water in with them yet but there is one in the recess room, no interest yet. I rub some on their mouths and show them each time we go in. I don't have a scale to weigh the baby, will look for one today.

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No scale at the Fred's in town, will have to wait until we go to Wal-Mart.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree with M mwallace056 on exactly what she said. Am doing just that with my 5-week-olds right now, except that I do also leave a dish of water too, because 2 of the 4 will drink from it. Mine are very messy too, and I'm using a cloth to clean them up after meals as well! Par for the course! ;)

How are they doing with the litter pan?
:lol3: Um I am highly offended that you told me a she :lol3: :clap: just kidding. I will let it pass since a lot of the members are female

Status
Not open for further replies.