Youngest fosters I've had

Status
Not open for further replies.

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Five babies, their feral mom was found dead, she bit through an electrical wire. Only one has his eyes part way open. Even the youngest I've had before always had open eyes. Is it normal for them to open very slowly and be kind of cloudy?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Five babies, their feral mom was found dead, she bit through an electrical wire. Only one has his eyes part way open. Even the youngest I've had before always had open eyes. Is it normal for them to open very slowly and be kind of cloudy?
Yes, I think so!  But if you see pus or similiar, it may be another thing.

Do you have suitable kmr, gears, and so on? need more info?

A good site for orphans is www.kitten-rescue.com    We too have some good articles - and lotsa of threads in our subforum.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No pus or discharge. I have had some right after they opened their eyes, but not before. They are on kmr every two to three hours. On a heating pad with a blanket on top, but can move off if they get too hot. Also have a heart beat cat in with them. Wiping bottoms each time they feed. It's not my first time, just never seen any actually open their eyes before! Thank you.
What are the gears you mentioned?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No pus or discharge. I have had some right after they opened their eyes, but not before. They are on kmr every two to three hours. On a heating pad with a blanket on top, but can move off if they get too hot. Also have a heart beat cat in with them. Wiping bottoms each time they feed. It's not my first time, just never seen any actually open their eyes before! Thank you.
What are the gears you mentioned?
Everything sounds good then.  And yes, the eyes looks cloudy the first days, they do.  They probably dont see very much having dificulty focusing too. They have neither any clue WHAT to look after nor focus.  Especielly now when they dont have their mom, with which they are normally somewhat familiar...

Good luck!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think what StefanZ is refers to are feeding bottles, KMR, etc. And it sounds like you have all of that, plus the experience to use it correctly.

Fortunate little kittens, so sad about their momma.

Pictures are always nice .  . ,.

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hahaha, I was wondering if there was something new I hadn't heard of! All five are doing very well. One little girl seems to need extra stimulation to urinate, but I think we have that figured out now. I will try to get some pictures soon. Thank you

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What sweet faces! They are very cute. Fortunate little babies.

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My foster babies are around three weeks old now. I introduced the litter box today. Link has been the only one to use it. Everyone tried to eat a small amount but I got it out of their mouths. With every other set of fosters I've had (and it's been several now) as soon as they could eliminate on their own I left the box in their room with them. When I went in to feed them again, Cali's belly felt fuller than normal.

I'm afraid she ate quite a bit of the litter. But can't be sure. I fed everyone and did potty duty. When it was Cali's turn she vomited a small amount of milk. But also had a quite large bowel movement. Her stomach still looks a little larger than normal. I may just be paranoid, I tend to overreact. I took out the litter box and will only be putting it back when I can be in there with them.

Any opinions?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Wouldn't be a bad idea to have her checked out, just to be on the safe side. Don't think it's an emergency situation, though continue to monitor. If there is more vomiting or she gets constipated or lethargic, I'd get her to the vet tonight.

3 weeks seems a little early to be introducing the litter box. I usually do it around 4 weeks or age. I switched last yr to using pellet litter (Blue Buffalo) because the kittens didn't seem to be as likely to eat it (maybe because of the size?)

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Monitored her, seems she was overly chunky do to the big bowel movement. No signs of blockage, no more vomiting. Drinking her milk and acting normal. I removed the litter box until next week and went back to wiping bottoms.

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! They are living it up here, being fed every three hours or so. Luna is a mess! When it's feeding time whoever I feed before her, she runs to and scratches and tries to suck the milk off them! Calico is a little Tom boy, loves to play rough. Link is my ingenious, learns everything first and likes to explore. Thor and Peepers are little lover boys, always the first to purr.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One of our advisors recommends as non clumping litter pellets, of the brand Blue Buffalo, I think they are.  They are made of walnut shells.

These have several advantages over the usual clay non clumping litter, one of them its easier to dispose them for the authorities, just to burn them in the city dump burner, and get warm water and electrical energy as byproduct.    :)

gapeach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Stefan, I will look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.